Brush Busting Pants?

I'm looking for a pair of brush-busting pants. I live in Iowa, so not the most grueling conditions, but we have a lot of stickers, briars, thorns, multiflora rose, etc. I want a pair of pants for scouting, shed hunting, stand hanging, working in the timber that will no only hold up to that stuff, but hopefully prevent getting poked by a lot of it as well. After a good day of shed hunting in normal pants, my thighs typically look like I got shot with a shotgun.

I also want some that are comfortable, so that's definitely a must. I don't want them to feel restricting while walking/crouching/climbing, and enough room in the seat as well.

Anyone have any feedback on the following:

-Duluth Trading Firehose pants.
-Wrangler Upland pants.
-Carhartt Duck Double Front pants.

Roy68

WKR
I have no experience with them; Duluth trading company has a pant they claim to dial those things you list and yet can withstand an angry beaver.

I have Duluth and car hart. The double front varieties would offer some protection but not as much as you'll want.

Filson tin chaps are bomb proof but heavy and not great for climbing.

I would look at the corduroy fronted type of upland pants. My current favorite is under Armour. Cabelas is good too.

kodiakfly

WKR
I like Filson pants in various weights for various chores. Double tin is probably too much for most uses, but they've got tons of pants in their line and Tin or Shelter cloth are good for brush and briars.

topher89

WKR
Mountain Khaki Alpine Utilities. You could also search for upland hunting pants, those seem like what you are looking for

OP
cornfedkiller
Anyone know anything about Duluth Trading Fire Hose Logger pants?

I've been reading a little, and it sounds like they are just as tough if not tougher than carhartt's duck material, but everyone likes the fit much better.

I found Sierra Trading post is selling factory seconds of the washed double duck carhartt pants for $25, but I don't know if the material is as tough as the firm duck material, so I haven't pulled the trigger on them.

Filson tin cloth.
I have double front Carhartts and the waxed Filson is a whole nother world.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Carhartt rip-stop pants. Once they were worn and washed a few times I think they are very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Filson. I love Carhart stuff but the double duck material chafes my legs to much. I like their regular work jeans much better.

MNJack

FNG
Love my Duluth Fire Hose pants. I like my carhartts as well but if you manage to wear out your Fire Hose pants theyll give you a new pair. Wore the crotch out in a pair I bought a few years ago and they took them back no questions. They might be double the price of Carhartts but they wont give you a new pair if you wear them out...

KurtR

WKR
If you want tough brush busting the wranglers are the one I wear guiding pheasant hunters and so do most the other guys I work with.

Ll bean upland tech pants. I love these pants. The brush proof facing is highly water resistant and the rest of the pants are made of a stretchy fabric similar to firstlites corrugate guide pants, throw in a gusseted crotch and ergonomically sewn knees and you have freedom of movement far superior to anything else mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller

Those were on the top of my list since I've heard so much good stuff about Duluth Trading's clothing in general, but I don't like that the "brush" guard only goes up just a couple inches above the knee. My thighs usually get chewed up pretty bad badly, so I want some protection there.

The Filson ones look nice but thats a whole different price point than I was looking to spend.

I ordered a pair of the Duluth Trading Fire Hose Logger Pants and they will be here early next week. I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think of them when they show up!

Bwana

WKR
I use Cordura chaps, they make them in different weights...but great for scouting in any weather, light and don't weigh you down or get hot.