Browning XBolt mount help needed - medium or low

xkill

FNG
I understand that I could try a bunch of stuff and return what doesn't work but was hoping someone on here might already have solved my dilemma ie. should I go low or medium rings for an XBolt 308 (short action)

I'd rather not use the supplied pic rail . I'm considering either the talley rings or the game reaper unitized mount (apparently a better solution) to attach a Burris full field E1 4.5 - 14 x 42.

My criteria are good eye relief / sight picture and keeping the scope as low as possible to achieve a comfortable cheek weld while also like to fit pop-up scope caps .
Thanks

Weldor

WKR
Get ahold of Talley if you go that way. They will respond with their recommendation. Saves you a lot of time.

taskswap

WKR
I personally went with the "Browning X-Lock Integrated Standard 30mm" and they've served me well. I don't know the scope you're using and that might change it though. Don't know if this is helpful but it's a data point...

This is a case where I'd try to buy locally or use Amazon vs. a Midway or similar, something with super easy returns would be a good source...

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
Thanks . ai ordered the reaper medium mount AND the talley low rings for my 1" scope tube . Medium mounts are readily available locally whereas low mounts , not so much .

I'll report back after I've had a chance to compare and evaluate

Thanks . ai ordered the reaper medium mount AND the talley low rings for my 1" scope tube . Medium mounts are readily available locally whereas low mounts , not so much .

I'll report back after I've had a chance to compare and evaluate

Would love to see which one works better for you (with pictures) I am running into the same problem soon. Don’t really want to use the pic rail either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
Sure, I've got a couple of scopes 3-9x40 and 4.5-15x42. Il share results, pics and impressions after trying them out

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Talley told be to go with low rings for a 3-9x42. I’ve been happy with this setup using the integrated mount.

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
First set of trials ( larger scope on top compared to the smaller sig scope on the bottom) - on talley low rings. Painters tape references the objective bell position for the larger scope .

While they both fit, there is insufficient eye relief on the larger scope as the bell almost touched the barrel . Eye relief and cheek weld is very comfortable with the smaller Sig scope .

Kind of a bummer as I wanted to use the larger Burris scope with the MOA reticle on the 308 XBolt as a trainer .

Next experiment will be to try the reapers medium mount on the XBolt .

While
1000014667.jpg

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
Installed a DNZ reapers one piece medium on the XBolt . The 42mm Bell of the Burris can now move back much further (see pic comparing with the tally low mounts ). See comparison of low vs medium mount

Better eye relief with the more powerful scope . Comfort is decent though not as good as with the lower mount .

In summary, medium mounts for 42 mm / higher powered scopes , low mounts for smaller hunting scopes
1000014672.jpg

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
Also, while I don't like them, the pic rail might be an option in borderline situations to move the scope an inch or so closer to the eye

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
For what it's worth, image with the bolt racked back1000014673.jpg