Cartridge bounce back / Browning Xbolt problems

Hey gang, does anyone have issues with the spent cartridge bouncing back into the action? Xbolt synthetic stock, short action 6.8 Western, low talley rings, Burris signature 3-15 x44. It happened every single time I ran the bolt. I've swapped out the rings for medium Talley rings and now it happens ~30% of the time. Any suggestions? I want to keep the scope pretty low and don't really want to put a pic rail on.

Help! ;)

Adam

OP
amelliott_tg
Does it do it zeo percent of the time with no base and or rings on the rifle?
Haha, yes, with no rings, no scope, nothing to bounce off of back into the action. I'm wondering if it is an issue with the size and shape of the 6.8 case hitting my window turret just right.

TxJW

FNG
This sounds crazy, but try rotating the scope on the mounts so that the windage is where the elevation normally is. This will clear up the opening for the shell to eject properly. The only effect is to swap the elevation for windage turret's location.

This sounds crazy, but try rotating the scope on the mounts so that the windage is where the elevation normally is. This will clear up the opening for the shell to eject properly. The only effect is to swap the elevation for windage turret's location.
If anybody sees him shooting at the range he'll become a meme. :D

2muchhp

WKR
Haha, yes, with no rings, no scope, nothing to bounce off of back into the action. I'm wondering if it is an issue with the size and shape of the 6.8 case hitting my window turret just right.
Yeah I had to ask, I've seen this happen and guys swear it's bouncing off the one piece mount/rings when actually the case gets extracted into the action and just stays there, doesn't get tossed out.

RoyalJay

FNG
No issue with my x bolt in 6.5creed with 50mm scope and talley high rings or x bolt in 7mm rem mag with medium talley rings and 44mm scope.

chindits

WKR
Yes. Xbolt classic hunter. If I take the cover off my windage knob the case will eject but with the cover on the case hits it and kind of dribbles out or not.

Tally lows with a leupy 3-15.

No real solution. Design flaw in Japan by way of Utah.

Scottf270

WKR
This is one time shooting a left hand gun has advantages, lol. I'd try another scope just because. Who knows, you may find a combo that works.

Also have you worked the action hard like you would in a hunting situation. I have had guns act totally different depending on how hard or fast you work the action.

Gtscotty

FNG
I've had this same issue with my 300 WSM Tikka running a Helos BTR 2-12 in medium Sportsmatch rings. I wound up having to go to high Sportsmatch rings to solve the problem, although I may just go to another scope with a smaller windage knob as the scope is now higher than I'd like. Seems to be an issue with big scopes, exacerbated by chunky cartridge designs. I haven't had any ejection issues with my X-Bolt in .30-06 with low rings and a smaller scope, Tikka .270 WSM and small scope, or other various Tikkas with larger scopes in .270, .30-06 and .308.

taskswap

WKR
I also have an X-Bolt in 30-06 with low profile rings and a Cabelas Covenant scope that hasn't had this problem. Just a data point I guess.

OP
amelliott_tg
Yes, I preferred the short rings. But honestly I think I'll get used to the med rings just fine. I considered putting a comb riser on, but the reg stock, medium ring height will be my "normal".

SloppyJ

WKR
This is one time shooting a left hand gun has advantages, lol. I'd try another scope just because. Who knows, you may find a combo that works.

Also have you worked the action hard like you would in a hunting situation. I have had guns act totally different depending on how hard or fast you work the action.
Not always. There are some parallax and illumination knobs that stick out the left side of some scopes pretty far.