Browning Xbolt— is ReBarreling possible?

Has anyone ever had the barrel replaced on a browning xbolt?

I have a browning xbolt 300wm that I am looking to turn into a project gun. Initially all I wanted to do was change the stock and find a lighter barrel however that’s slowly turning into a more complicated process than I initially thought. I figured out that many people are unwilling to remove the barrel from brownings because of the threads being especially fragile. I’ve spoken with multiple barrel manufacturers and none of them are willing to put their barrel on my gun if I were to send it to them. Has anyone ever had their browning Rebarreled? I’m not much of a DIY gunsmith so it’s not something I would be doing myself anyway. I have someone that I’ve gone to in the past for certain things who said they could do it but I’m not sure if they’ve done it before or if they’re aware of other peoples opinions about the process being difficult. I’m pretty committed to the build at this point— so I’m almost considering selling the gun, buying an action, and starting from scratch.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Has anyone ever had the barrel replaced on a browning xbolt?

I have a browning xbolt 300wm that I am looking to turn into a project gun. Initially all I wanted to do was change the stock and find a lighter barrel however that’s slowly turning into a more complicated process than I initially thought. I figured out that many people are unwilling to remove the barrel from brownings because of the threads being especially fragile. I’ve spoken with multiple barrel manufacturers and none of them are willing to put their barrel on my gun if I were to send it to them. Has anyone ever had their browning Rebarreled? I’m not much of a DIY gunsmith so it’s not something I would be doing myself anyway. I have someone that I’ve gone to in the past for certain things who said they could do it but I’m not sure if they’ve done it before or if they’re aware of other peoples opinions about the process being difficult. I’m pretty committed to the build at this point— so I’m almost considering selling the gun, buying an action, and starting from scratch.

Yes, they can be rebarreled.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I've removed a few x-bolt barrels by myself in my garage and screwed on prefits with zero issues. NO reason any half way decent smith can't do it with the proper tools.

OP
droptine818
Yes, I've removed a few x-bolt barrels by myself in my garage and screwed on prefits with zero issues. NO reason any half way decent smith can't do it with the proper tools.
I talked to a couple of people that said they wouldn’t touch them so I was pretty confused. I knew it could be done not sure why they were so afraid

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
My smith removed/replaced my xbolt barrel last month when cutting/threading the muzzle... it certainly can be done.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to a couple of people that said they wouldn’t touch them so I was pretty confused. I knew it could be done not sure why they were so afraid
^^^ what @Formidilosus said. If you're just looking to replace a barrel and need action threads cut, you can look for a machinist in your local area. If you can find one that's also a shooting hobbyist chances are they can cut a better barrel then most so called smiths. (Cheaper too)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
100% doable. They are known for stripping threads when removing, and/or cross threading easily when the new one goes on. We’ve done 2 barrels each on 2 different x bolts and didn’t see that issue at all. Limited quantity sorry.

Kyguy

FNG
Are you talking to hometown smiths or the actual barrel manufacturers that will fit barrels to actions? When I've been shopping for barrels, it seems that makers I've checked have the X-bolt on their list of actions they will barrel.

OP
droptine818
Which ones have you spoken to? Proof would not and neither would carbon6. Also spoke to a couple more that said they would be hesitant to do so.

Kyguy

FNG
I believe that I saw them listed on the PacNor page and the McGowan page. I know that PacNor will specifically not do stainless A-Bolt rifles, but they'll do the blued ones. Every maker has their prejudices though.

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
My smith removed/replaced my xbolt barrel last month when cutting/threading the muzzle... it certainly can be done.
Is your barrel fluted? I have an XBolt (1) in 7PRC that came with a 24” thin barrel that bells out for brake/surpressor threading. Been wondering if I can cut and re thread it.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Is your barrel fluted? I have an XBolt (1) in 7PRC that came with a 24” thin barrel that bells out for brake/surpressor threading. Been wondering if I can cut and re thread it.
No flutes… just the standard pencil contour. Too thin for anything but 1/2x28

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
No flutes… just the standard pencil contour. Too thin for anything but 1/2x28
Pencil. That’s the word… . Good to know it’s possible with our barrels. I jumped on mine when it hit cabelas in the form of a 7PRC. In retrospect I should’ve held out for one with the 20 inch barrel I really wanted.

You putting a brake on or running suppressed.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Pencil. That’s the word… . Good to know it’s possible with our barrels. I jumped on mine when it hit cabelas in the form of a 7PRC. In retrospect I should’ve held out for one with the 20 inch barrel I really wanted.

You putting a brake on or running suppressed.
The 20” versions seem to be a much heavier contour if you look at the rifle weight.
I had a sloped shoulder done to match the Q cherry bomb so I can run braked or with the trash panda.

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
The 20” versions seem to be a much heavier contour if you look at the rifle weight.
I had a sloped shoulder done to match the Q cherry bomb so I can run braked or with the trash panda.
Not sure I follow. Do you have a photo by chance? Did they add metal to the barrel to slope the shoulder?