Browning new rifles including 7prc - how are the actions

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Browning has some new rifles on their website today. I was curious if they were going to boycott the 7prc, but they have 15 different rifles with that chambering, including a 20" suppressor ready barrel. Anyone have any experience with these SR rifles?
They also have a couple CF stocks on their more expensive guns ($2.5k) that look nice, but no cf barrels.

Anybody have any thoughts on the browning actions and maybe browning rifles in general? In the store, they feel nice and I like the 60 degree throw.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Browning X-bolt Sporter model in .308. I love it and will get another x-bolt in the future. I have not handled a new model but would think it would be similar. I'm eyeballing a 6.8 western.

OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2018 Browning X-bolt Sporter model in .308. I love it and will get another x-bolt in the future. I have not handled a new model but would think it would be similar. I'm eyeballing a 6.8 western.
That's good to hear. Thanks.

If you want one of the shot show specials I hope your patient. I was eyeballing last years show special Speed suppressor ready and took until November to be in stock. Anyway, picked it up in November and its sweet, but haven’t shot it yet 😂

OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
If you want one of the shot show specials I hope your patient. I was eyeballing last years show special Speed suppressor ready and took until November to be in stock. Anyway, picked it up in November and its sweet, but haven’t shot it yet
I'd heard that the shot show specials were that way, but I also saw that the Speed suppressor ready rifles were changed to be a regular item now. Maybe they'll actually build a few more soon.
Everyone seems to rave about the Tikka actions, but the browning seemed nicer to me. I realize this is a newby question. I've been a bow hunter for 25 years, but am planning on getting a new capable elk rifle this year. I have an ultra 7 in jail and a case of 7prc waiting for me to make a decision.

one of the biggest differences between the tikka and the browning is that tikka prefit barrels are widely available, while most gunsmiths won't rebarrel an xbolt. That's a big factor for a lot of people.

Tikka's integral rail is also a superior scope mounting option to the xbolt's 4 bolts per base, and in my limited sample sizes (2x Tikka, 1x Xbolt), the tikka's shoot much better.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had two X-bolts. The one I sold to a buddy who needed a rifle and liked it. The other I’ll always retain.

It’s a 2008 Hunter that my wife bought me when our first was born. “You’ll need it, it’s a girl” said she.

It now wears a McMillan stock and has barrels in 308, 6.5cm, 6.5 prc, 7SS and 6.8W. I’ll keep that Bartlein carbon in 6.8 on for a while. I really like the action, and I wouldn’t say that it’s true that “most gunsmiths won’t re-barrel it”. At the very least, Pierce will.

I’d love another, but right now have no need for one.

I like the actions. The bolts run nice. The one I have shoots great, better than 2 of the 3 tikka barrels i've had.

Main negatives are the thin receivers where scope base threads are, they are prone to stripping easily if over-torqued. Also, the trigger isn't great compared to tikka or m700 aftermarket options but it doesn't limit my ability to shoot the rifle well. Also there isn't much for aftermarket support.

The sporter stocks fit me better than any other sporter style stock I can recall.

manitou1

WKR
I have had several. The two I have now will never be gone. Sub 1/2" rifles consistently with my handloads.
I really like the actions and the feel of the guns. My favorites, even over my custom.

I've got a '21 65prc in the HCLR. It shoots fantastic and the bolt is butter smooth. The factory trigger is less than ideal, but you can buy a spring kit from MCARBO that makes a huge difference. I'm actually in the market for a new one, but can't decide between 300prc or 280AI.

OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a 2008 Hunter that my wife bought me when our first was born. “You’ll need it, it’s a girl” said she.

That's funny. I like your wife's sense of humor. Thanks for the info.

OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I like the actions. The bolts run nice. The one I have shoots great, better than 2 of the 3 tikka barrels i've had.

Main negatives are the thin receivers where scope base threads are, they are prone to stripping easily if over-torqued. Also, the trigger isn't great compared to tikka or m700 aftermarket options but it doesn't limit my ability to shoot the rifle well. Also there isn't much for aftermarket support.

The sporter stocks fit me better than any other sporter style stock I can recall.
They fit me well too. Thanks for the heads up on the scope base threads.

22tcm

FNG
I have a X-Bolt stainless stalker in 7 rem mag that I love. I haven't had any problems with it. The trigger spring is a little tricky to replace but very doable at home. It fits me well and I like to shoot it. The bolt throw is what made me buy it. Mine is very smooth and I love the short throw of it.

In general, they are solid rifles and you could certainly do worse for a factory gun. I definitely prefer the feel of them over the Tikkas. As others have said, you will lack in aftermarket support compared to other offerings on the market; how much that factor weighs on your decision is obviously a personal one. If it does matter, I'd suggest buying a Begara and be done with it.

Tx270WT

FNG
Xbolt action be no means is a slouch. Functions well with good bolt throw. My tikkas are slightly better but it wouldn’t deter me from
One vs the other. My xbolt is a 7mag and it shoots better than I do. While the velocity isn’t awesome and by no means is that the guns fault, it will stack those Berger 195 EOL in nice little clovers. But as above, only gripe was the trigger which an 8 dollar spring fixed nicely and I did it myself too.

I got my son a hcs x bolt. Super smooth action. I would not hesitate getting another.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
one of the biggest differences between the tikka and the browning is that tikka prefit barrels are widely available, while most gunsmiths won't rebarrel an xbolt. That's a big factor for a lot of people.

Tikka's integral rail is also a superior scope mounting option to the xbolt's 4 bolts per base, and in my limited sample sizes (2x Tikka, 1x Xbolt), the tikka's shoot much better.
Gunsmiths that won't rebarrel an x-bolt are generally half ass gunsmiths that I don't want touching my rifle anyway.
I have a couple dozen Browning rifles that I'd take hunting anywhere. Not a brand fan boy. Hate an A-5 and won't use one.

tom338

FNG
I tried and x bolt in 7 rem mag. I put hundreds of rounds thru it trying to get it to shoot. I went down the road. Could not get it to shoot even close to MOA with my reloads. Never tried factory stuff