Browning BLR - what are your thoughts?

I am wanting a light weight brush gun that is good out to 400-500 yards. I’d like to use it on an alaska moose hunt next year. I have been looking at the BLR takedown. It looks like it weighs 6.5lbs bare and has a 20” barrel. I have never owned a lever action rifle. those of you who have experience with them, what are your thoughts? Accuracy, reliability?

Any other options I should consider? I have some high end bolt guns, but they all have 26-28” barrels.

The BLR is a very good rifle though Ive never owned the take down version. I’ve owned two and neither shot better than 1 1/2” inch groups. Wouldn’t be the rifle I’d take for a 500 yard shot but 300 or so, easy. Not sure which cartridges the take down is offered in, that could be a limiting factor as well. I, regrettably sold the two i had years ago because they were redundant to other rifles and I hated the finish Browning used. Wish I had them now.

The accuracy question has been answered and I am sure that there are a few BLRs that shoot better but the majority I have shot and been around shoot about like those mentioned previously. Part of the problem is that the trigger pull is horrific. I believe that there are only a couple of gunsmiths who really focus on these BLRs and that can tune the triggers to resolve that problem. With that said, they can be handy and are reliable. As stated by Salmonchaser, the BLR wouldn't be my first choice in a lever gun for distance shooting nor as a brush gun. I think that a short barreled bolt would be a better way to go to get the best of both worlds.

I am wanting a light weight brush gun that is good out to 400-500 yards. I’d like to use it on an alaska moose hunt next year. I have been looking at the BLR takedown. It looks like it weighs 6.5lbs bare and has a 20” barrel. I have never owned a lever action rifle. those of you who have experience with them, what are your thoughts? Accuracy, reliability?

Any other options I should consider? I have some high end bolt guns, but they all have 26-28” barrels.
Owned one for a little while. After 30 years of wanting a BLR in 7mm-08, I finally found one at a good price and snatched it up. I was VERY excited to get it because I cut my teeth on lever guns and love the 7mm-08 cartridge.

But pretty soon the excitement wore off. If you want a lightweight gun, the BLR is not your gun IMO unless you are going to run it with irons only. By the time you scope that thing you're toting at least 7.5 lbs. around. I don't consider anything over 7 lbs. to be "lightweight" but that's just my personal standard. Maybe you do.

Second, the rack and pinon lever action of the BLR just isn't all that smooth. It requires a lot of force to work and has a longer throw than I got used to with my Winchester 94.

Third, the trigger sucked bad and I wasn't willing to spend the extra $ to have someone improve it.

Finally, the accuracy - for this particular rifle - was only so-so. Not good enough for me to really consider it a legitimate 300-yard gun, and if I'm limited to 200 yards because of a rifle's capability, then I'll just take my Winchester and carry less weight, have a shorter, handier rifle and a smoother/quicker action.

Those were my take-homes. YMMV of course.

Glad I owned one and got that out of my system though. It was an itch I had wanted to scratch for a long time.

I just picked up a BLR in 308 with the PG, just felt good to me. I put a 1-4×20 scope on it. Main goal was a true 300 yard and under rifle. I love my 30-30 & 35 Rem but in my area a 200 + yard shot is getting to be more common as more and more wood lots and hedge rows are cleared for Ag use. As for accuracy its easy 6" steel plate out to 300 with the low power scope.

Use it as it was intended & it will work every time!

Cheers

OP
PredatorSlayer
Owned one for a little while. After 30 years of wanting a BLR in 7mm-08, I finally found one at a good price and snatched it up. I was VERY excited to get it because I cut my teeth on lever guns and love the 7mm-08 cartridge.

But pretty soon the excitement wore off. If you want a lightweight gun, the BLR is not your gun IMO unless you are going to run it with irons only. By the time you scope that thing you're toting at least 7.5 lbs. around. I don't consider anything over 7 lbs. to be "lightweight" but that's just my personal standard. Maybe you do.

Second, the rack and pinon lever action of the BLR just isn't all that smooth. It requires a lot of force to work and has a longer throw than I got used to with my Winchester 94.

Third, the trigger sucked bad and I wasn't willing to spend the extra $ to have someone improve it.

Finally, the accuracy - for this particular rifle - was only so-so. Not good enough for me to really consider it a legitimate 300-yard gun, and if I'm limited to 200 yards because of a rifle's capability, then I'll just take my Winchester and carry less weight, have a shorter, handier rifle and a smoother/quicker action.

Those were my take-homes. YMMV of course.

Glad I owned one and got that out of my system though. It was an itch I had wanted to scratch for a long time.
I have read a few things about Fail to Fires, mostly on older ones. Some of the accuracy reviews online are pretty good, but all of them note a heavy, 5-6lb trigger. My ideal rifle would be a barrett fieldcraft, but they aren’t made anymore unfortunately.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I just picked up a BLR in 308 with the PG, just felt good to me. I put a 1-4×20 scope on it. Main goal was a true 300 yard and under rifle. I love my 30-30 & 35 Rem but in my area a 200 + yard shot is getting to be more common as more and more wood lots and hedge rows are cleared for Ag use. As for accuracy its easy 6" steel plate out to 300 with the low power scope.

Use it as it was intended & it will work every time!

Cheers
I was going to throw a VX6HD 1-6x on it. Have you shot any 100 yard groups with it?

I was going to throw a VX6HD 1-6x on it. Have you shot any 100 yard groups with it?
Hey good choice of scope for it.

Just started working up a load for it with 150 gr partitions.

Only run factory through it so far its neen shooting 1.5 " or a bit better at 100 yards.

It also cycles very smoothly pretty happy with it so far will see what happens.

I plan to use it and another rifle this season.

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I have a BLR in 300 WM. It came with a 26” barrel that I think I’m going to have cut down and threaded. Probably to 22-24”. It’s not the take down but it’s basically the same otherwise. I dont think I’d take a 500 yd shot with it but 350 for sure. Accuracy may change after cutting it down though.

Shraggs

WKR
I guess I’ll be the advocate!

I believe a blr can and are very accurate, they are a bolt action really… But you really need the trigger worked on. Stock they 7-9 lbs with a long pull. I wish I could recall the guy in Connecticut who’s noted for his work that used. Still a long stroke but mine breaks at 4 lbs. all the difference in the world!

My personal thoughts are shorter handier barrels are a dream in timber or anywhere fast nimble is desired. but I’d rather a mid bore where the loss of 2-4” has little effect on speed. 30 cal and less there is a trade off. 338 fed or 358 win for me in this platform. Just my opinion.

there is only one 358 factory load the hornady 200 sp interlock. In my gun it’s shooting legit .5”. At 2475 at the barrel it’s range is 250 yards. A little shy of my goals but solid very affordable white tail/practice load.

just today, I shot 4 more in a ladder test for 220 hammer hunters, a few grains +/-around 50 was a node all going 2525 FPS and under 1” group. That’s 390 yards at 1800 FPS, what hammers have tested to open at to date. Also, some antidotal discussions the mid bore hammers may open reliably below 1800…. My hope was 2600 FPS but magazine length will probably keep me short but 2550 looks promising. I will shoot through water jugs at 1700 and 1600 FPS to see if they do open legitimately before accepting commentary.

hope to finish this in next few weeks. Point is at 2550 with 220 hammers it’s easily a 400 yard for large game. IF, IF this Bullet will open and separate four petals within a few inches of water at a lower speed I will report back. But that certainly would be an extension in range if true.

358 definitely has more recoil than a 308, but I actually feel felt recoil is so much more pleasing with the slow roll vs fast snap I’d say my 7 mag. I’m betting this 358 so loaded is 28 lbs in a 7.75 package, my last 7 mag was a 10 lb ruger #1 probably 20 lbs of recoil. To me I’d rather shoot the blr 358…

Here’s mine, breakdown was on my radar but this grip felt better for me. In any case if ever witnessed 35 rem, 32 win spl terminal performance 200 yards and in with slow cup and core - imagine 220 significantly more speed and weight with this beauty…

32ADC9CC-24FE-48A4-95BC-FAB87AA9FB1A.jpeg

OP
PredatorSlayer
I guess I’ll be the advocate!

I believe a blr can and are very accurate, they are a bolt action really… But you really need the trigger worked on. Stock they 7-9 lbs with a long pull. I wish I could recall the guy in Connecticut who’s noted for his work that used. Still a long stroke but mine breaks at 4 lbs. all the difference in the world!

My personal thoughts are shorter handier barrels are a dream in timber or anywhere fast nimble is desired. but I’d rather a mid bore where the loss of 2-4” has little effect on speed. 30 cal and less there is a trade off. 338 fed or 358 win for me in this platform. Just my opinion.

there is only one 358 factory load the hornady 200 sp interlock. In my gun it’s shooting legit .5”. At 2475 at the barrel it’s range is 250 yards. A little shy of my goals but solid very affordable white tail/practice load.

just today, I shot 4 more in a ladder test for 220 hammer hunters, a few grains +/-around 50 was a node all going 2525 FPS and under 1” group. That’s 390 yards at 1800 FPS, what hammers have tested to open at to date. Also, some antidotal discussions the mid bore hammers may open reliably below 1800…. My hope was 2600 FPS but magazine length will probably keep me short but 2550 looks promising. I will shoot through water jugs at 1700 and 1600 FPS to see if they do open legitimately before accepting commentary.

hope to finish this in next few weeks. Point is at 2550 with 220 hammers it’s easily a 400 yard for large game. IF, IF this Bullet will open and separate four petals within a few inches of water at a lower speed I will report back. But that certainly would be an extension in range if true.

358 definitely has more recoil than a 308, but I actually feel felt recoil is so much more pleasing with the slow roll vs fast snap I’d say my 7 mag. I’m betting this 358 so loaded is 28 lbs in a 7.75 package, my last 7 mag was a 10 lb ruger #1 probably 20 lbs of recoil. To me I’d rather shoot the blr 358…

Here’s mine, breakdown was on my radar but this grip felt better for me. In any case if ever witnessed 35 rem, 32 win spl terminal performance 200 yards and in with slow cup and core - imagine 220 significantly more speed and weight with this beauty…

View attachment 328824
I would love one in a 338 fed, but can’t find any. I am not a huge hammer bullet fan, mostly because I think the owner is a prick, but to each their own.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I have a BLR in 300 WM. It came with a 26” barrel that I think I’m going to have cut down and threaded. Probably to 22-24”. It’s not the take down but it’s basically the same otherwise. I dont think I’d take a 500 yd shot with it but 350 for sure. Accuracy may change after cutting it down though.
If I can get one to shoot 1” groups, 500 should be in the ballpark. Even 1.5 is a 7.5” group at 500 which for mules and elk isn’t too bad.

OP
PredatorSlayer
The BLR is a very good rifle though Ive never owned the take down version. I’ve owned two and neither shot better than 1 1/2” inch groups. Wouldn’t be the rifle I’d take for a 500 yard shot but 300 or so, easy. Not sure which cartridges the take down is offered in, that could be a limiting factor as well. I, regrettably sold the two i had years ago because they were redundant to other rifles and I hated the finish Browning used. Wish I had them now.
I am looking at the 308 win. I know they offer them in several cartridges, the 308 is just the one I am interested in.

Shraggs

WKR
Sorry to hear that

Partions are my back up fwiw. But I got here cause on elk not sure I’ll like portions after 2200 FPS for elk, 350 tops.

I can say my dealings have been really good and helpful through this project.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in .308 that my Dad bought new in 1981. He had a trigger job done on it right after he bought it and the trigger is pretty good - I have handled and shot several others - as others have stated the triggers on them are lousy from the factory. I pretty much claimed it about the time I was 12 and have killed dozens of whitetails and well over a hundred pigs with it. Accuracy is not stellar but it will turn in 1 1/2” groups with a variety of factory ammo though I mostly used Corloks because they were cheap. I have never had a failure to fire or even a jamb/failure to feed that I can recall. In the last 15 years or so my rifle collection has grown and includes some really accurate bolt rifles, but the old BLR is still my favorite whitetail rifle and it still sees occasional use during the odd times I actually hunt whitetail for myself. Buy one, get the trigger done and enjoy.

Rock-o

WKR

Might you be referring to https://neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html? He's in Pennsylvania and the name I see most commonly.

While my trigger may be typical, I don't say it's bad like most everybody else. The reason is because I have shot it so much that I know it like the back of my hand. It's good for me.

Mine is a 308 Win that shoots MoA-ish. Certainly far better than what's needed for my typical hunting use of 300 yards or less. I'm sure it'll perform better in skilled hands. A Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 is mounted.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
A BLR in .308 was the first centerfire I hunted with.
My foster father is a leftie and when he bought it new in the 80s that was his best option for a leftie rifle.
Man I got sick of lugging that rifle around as a teen but when it came time to shoot, that weight sure made it sweet on the shoulder.
He still has it as his bush rifle and its only ever had a few deep cleans of the action, use over time has made the action and trigger plenty smooth enough.

RMP

FNG
I have a BLR Lightweight '81 in .308. It will shoot a sub 2" group at 100 yards. The trigger pull isn't as good as most of my bolt actions, but I've learned to live with it. I have a Leupold FXII Ultralight 2.5X on mine. With sling, it tips the scales at a bit over 7 lbs. I'm sure it would shoot a tighter group if I have a high power scope. A fixed 2.5X is probably not going to be helpful in producing sub MOA groups.

I also have a BLR Lightweight pistol grip in .358 Winchester. Same scope and rings as the .308. It's heavier. About as accurate. I've never hunted moose, but if I were to do so I'd use my .358. Buffalo Bore makes premium ammo for this caliber suitable moose.