Brown bear clothing recommendation

Looking for some layering recommendations for an upcoming alaska spring brown bear hunt. 90 percent of the hunt will be from a skiff glassing up and down shores. I was informed the spot and stalks are very short and not very physically demanding ....500 yards at the most . It should be a very wet/rainy hunt .

My plan is to wear simms wader pants for bottoms .

1)what would be your ideal layering for under the waders ?..was thinking a merino/fleece base with regular pants or puffy pants..

2)ideal laying for top?... thinking merino base, fleece mid, puffy jacket, and rain coat on top..

Thanks!

uncastan

FNG
Merino base layers and then your hunting jacket/pants and if you need it you can put your puffy over them. A wind breaker jacket will be valuable as well.
I run the sitka lightweight hoody instead of a merino base layer. Puffies are so nice and light and compressible even if you don't wear them every day you hardly know they're tucked in your pack. Then on days you need them you'll be glad you have them!

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
1. Aclima Woolnet Baselayers
2. Appalachian Gear Co. All-Paca Hoodie
3 Woolpower 400 Vest
4. Duck Camp Squall Breathable Rain jacket
5. Dachstein Wool Knit Hat

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I wore some Cabelas polypro base layers I caught on sale for 8$, Cabelas Microtek pants/shirt,
and some fleece outerwear. For the rain, HH Impertech 3/4 length parka.
Also some OR Croc Gaiters and an ancient pair of Cabelas Mtn. Hunter boots.
This was a 10 day fly-in / tent hunt.

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
1. Aclima Woolnet Baselayers
2. Appalachian Gear Co. All-Paca Hoodie
3 Woolpower 400 Vest
4. Duck Camp Squall Breathable Rain jacket
5. Dachstein Wool Knit Hat
Which is more valuable in your system, the All-Paca hoodie or the Woolpower? Is there something special about the woolpower garments that make them superior to the same fabrics in other brands?