Broadhead weight vs Insert weight

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
Arrow Question for those archery geniuses.

I really like kudus 150 grain broadheads currently shoot there 100gr heads. I do have a 50 gr insert on my arrows. I need new arrows and don’t want have to mess with my sight since my bows dialed. Will I shoot different with the 150gr heads vs the 100 grain head plus the 50gr weighted insert.

Sled

WKR
Your new inserts will weigh something. Usually 10-13gr for a standard insert. It may not make a difference if you are not on the edge of being underspined. From a pure weight perspective you shouldn't see much if any perceptive change.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

WKR
Are you staying with the same arrow? Also are you swithcing inserts to keep the tip weight the same? I dont know an insert that doesnt weigh at least 15 grains so you will be slightly heavier if you do keep the same arrows. You might be able to cut your arrow slightly shorter to make up for that.

Also by the sounds of it you will be going from a steel or brass insert to an aluminum one, so durability on the front end could go down.

What arrow are you using?

In short we need more info.

Reactions: Zac
If all other aspects of the arrow remained the same (shaft make/model/spine, length, vane configuration, nock) and you paired a lightweight aluminum insert with a 150 gr head, your total arrow weight would increase by about 15 gr. You might notice a slight difference in trajectory at longer ranges, but not at short-medium distances.

Beendare

WKR
You didn’t mention arrow spine you are shooting- don’t be underspined.

95% of bowhunters cannot tell the difference of +/- 15g….and the 5% that can, only see a tiny difference at longer ranges. …in other words, +/- 10-20g shouldn’t change your sight

OP
QuickTrigger7

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t believe I’m under spined I’m shoot a Mathew’s vertix at #70 with an Easton axis 300 spine arrow. I will more than likely just keep the 50 grain inserts and run a 100 grain head. Thanks for all the input.

Hedge Row

FNG
If you wanted to get real anal and get as close as possible you could weigh all the components and mix and match weights to get probably within a few grains. But even if you didn't you more than likely wouldn't see much of a POI change

Zac

WKR
I would have both in my quiver if your a western hunter. The 100 is a great option for long bombs. The extra cut size of the 150 is also very substantial. I would tune with the 150 then just run both options.

If you keep everything the same and increase broadhead weight then you will definitely see a change. Not much if any at 30 yds and in. Shoot longer distances and you will see a change. Arrows will hit much lower by adding 50 grains of weight. I think you made a good decision by just staying with the system you have now.

OP
QuickTrigger7

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider
I would have both in my quiver if your a western hunter. The 100 is a great option for long bombs. The extra cut size of the 150 is also very substantial. I would tune with the 150 then just run both options.
I like this idea!