broadhead and arrow question

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I am green to this first off. Currently I am shooting a Gold Tip Hunter XT 300, I think its 9.3 gpi. my field tips are 100 grains and I'm uncertain on the inserts, but I was told they are standard. Talking to a pro shop they said to get the same number of grains as my field points.

I am wanting to shoot a 125 grain cutthroat, I have no real justification other than the reviews and product looks and feels like quality in my inexperienced hands. How much adjusting am I in for? This may all be a mess of a bunch of things and I'm just trying to get an understanding of arrows, bows, shooting and all the archery hunting entails. thanks for any input

Welcome - Usually 25 grains won't make a huge difference... you may find your arrows fly a bit better with more weight upfront. Gold tip inserts are around 12.5ish grains. Pick up a pack of 125 grain field points and test. I went from a 100 grain head and standard inserts last year to standard gold tip inserts, with a 20 grain weight and 125 grain heads. so a 45 grain swing. Arrow flight change wasn't drastic out to 60, maybe 3-4 inches - but the FOC improvement improved the arrow flight and bow tuning quite a bit.

Welcome - Usually 25 grains won't make a huge difference... you may find your arrows fly a bit better with more weight upfront. Gold tip inserts are around 12.5ish grains. Pick up a pack of 125 grain field points and test. I went from a 100 grain head and standard inserts last year to standard gold tip inserts, with a 20 grain weight and 125 grain heads. so a 45 grain swing. Arrow flight change wasn't drastic out to 60, maybe 3-4 inches - but the FOC improvement improved the arrow flight and bow tuning quite a bit.

I would agree. I only added 10 grains and saw an improvement. I’m about to experiment with 30 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk