Bringing back Bison article

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting article about bringing back bison to public lands. Even though the precedent was set with wolves, I don’t think we should follow suit (albeit for a more agreeable species) with the ballot box initiative. But maybe game agencies and professional biologists could be persuaded to explore this option??

Right now I think the biggest hurdle is the cattle$ indu$try which sadly is more likely to be owned by an LLC dodging taxes than a true mom and pop operation.

If you pay attention to the really old publications you will see that the bison migrated from Canada to Texas. You may want bison but someone has to feed them. If you think elk are tough on fences, you will find that bison just walk through them.

I know a lot of llc's that are family run operations on the 5th or 6th generation. Llc's help them manage inheritance so they don't have to liquidate the operation with every death or divorce.

Bison need a lot of land. Don't get your hopes too high.

I would be all for it. Problems will arise with all the private land owners, fences and the huge cattle operation's mentioned.

Unfortunately the super dated grazing permit system and priority for cattle on public grass (at a very subsidized rate) does not account for herds of bison.

Would need to kill all the Feral Horses too! I still can’t believe there is an Act of Congress protecting them while we have no major conservation or otherwise scientifically sound laws protecting Bison or even caribou on historic ranges.