Breathable wind layer for hiking

I’m looking for suggestions on a heavy windshirt/lightweight softshell to take the edge off cold wind while hiking with all the sales coming up. Breathability, light-ish weight and durability are a bigger priority than sealing off all wind perfectly. UL cottage company windshirts made of unicorn hair or even a Patagonia Houdini seem like they would shred pretty quickly so I’m thinking a heavier windshirt or lighter softshell would fit the bill.

I’m looking a little at OR Ferrosi, BD Alpine start, FL Ridgeline and maybe even Sitka Mtn Jacket. Anyone out there with thoughts on these or something similar?

Last edited:

Bbrinks

FNG
I don’t have any experience with the Ridgeline, but I’ve used the Ferrosi hoody for years to cut down the wind while still being able to go through brush without getting shredded and it’s held up perfect. I started using the FL corrugate guide jacket as well last year but can’t say yet which one I like better.

woods89

WKR
I have a BD Alpine Start that I use a lot. I haven't had any durability issues so far, and that includes use in some pretty brushy public land settings here in the Ozarks. It's a great piece for hiking in the cold with a pack on.

@mtwarden is the windshirt guru around here.

OP
canyonhunter47
Definitely leaning toward the alpine start, seems to be the closest to what I’m looking for — something to cut the cold wind somewhat without weighing a lot or getting overly swampy.

There’s black which I’ll probably get but there’s also an orange. Just out of curiosity would the orange pass as blaze in CO? And is the sizing accurate for a base layer and maybe mid layer fleece?

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I think the OR Ferossi checks all those boxes, that's exaclty what I use it for. Blocks some wind. breathes reasonably well, and it durable for sure. it's also not expensive (look for a sale) and it's not that heavy. it's IMO a good colder weather layer, fits well and has great stretch. decent solid color options. lot to like there.

WoodBow

WKR
I own the ridgeline and it is absolute dog crap as a wind layer. I have a medium in cipher I will sell to anyone for $50 tyd. It will cut the wind some but it certainly does not stop it.

I took a patagonia houdini to colorado this year and it quickly jumped high up on my favorites list. It is insanely light and packable. Stops the wind totally. I thought it would breath about like a trash bag but I had not problem hiking in it with a pack on. They are about $100.

j33

WKR
I have both the OR Ferosi & BD Alpine Start. Once I used the BD I never used my Ferosi again.

Houdini & Alpine Start let the perfect amount of wind through vs breathability, also 3.8oz for the BD is beauty. It’s a bit louder so be aware of that if bow hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a couple of Houdini's but find them a little lacking in the durability category; not a surprise as they weigh all of 4 oz.

For hunting I've found two that I thought were suitable, the BD Alpine Start mentioned a couple of times above and the hard to find Patagonia military windshirt. Can still find them occasionally on eBay.

I purchased a Sitka Flash a couple of years ago and found it not to breathe well. Was going to sell it, but discovered it made a nice lightweight rain jacket when not expecting day long rain.

The one thing to remember about a windshirt is they are designed to breathe some, as such they will let some wind in when it's blowing hard. If you're static (say glassing) and it's really windy- don a rain jacket.

I’ve got a OR “Winter Ferrosi” that I love. It’s got the same face material but is backed by a grid fleece type material. Warmer than the normal ferrosi and feels better on the skin IMO

vorfield

FNG
Mountain Hardwear Kor Airshell. The Pertex Quantum Air provides enough breathability (~20 CFM) for active use. It's super lightweight and packable. Also the fabric doesn't really stick to your skin and get clammy. Can be found on sale a lot too