Breaking Rules, Tack, and Everything Else: My DIY Horseback Hunting Chronicle

Chase0109

FNG
Sounds like you’re figuring it out as you go! I think it is often good to share the good and the bad so other can learn what to do or not to do in the future. That’s how we all learn through experience, rather personally or through other’s experiences.

I’m still learning plenty myself and don’t think I have enough experience to give others advise. But I will comment on one part and share a tip/personal experience that might be helpful.

“Problem: Pony doesn’t want to load.

Mare loads no problem. But today, the gelding decides he doesn’t want to. Normally it’s not a problem.

Again, lack of skills come into play: I’m 180lbs of office-fat and bones. The horse is 1000lbs. Do the math.

I try a bunch of the tricks I’ve seen in the past on youtube, but it just seems to be one of those days. In the end, I get him, but no idea how/why it worked.“

I had a similar experience with a new to me gelding I purchased in January. Nine-year-old experienced ranch horse. Loaded/unloaded untold amounts of times. Took him to a trailhead two hours from home in Texas. Had a nice ride did 6-7 miles everything went Perfect. Went to load him up in the trailer and you’d swear his feet were stuck in concrete when he got to the back of the trailer. I loaded and trailered him a handful of times before this with zero issue.

I tried everything I could think of. Getting back on him and working him a bunch, lunging him a bunch, etc. Same result every time. Walk right up to the back of the trailer and freeze without stepping in.
I probably had the same thought as you. How the **** do you get 1000 pound horse into a trailer when he doesn’t want to and your alone?

Being completely out of ideas, I decided to phone a friend. I called someone who is way more experienced with Horses than I’ll ever be. Told him what my issue was and hoped he might have an idea so I could at least get home and then work on fixing the issue.

So here’s the tip and what worked for me in a pinch. Friend suggested I take a long rope ( I had to tie two 12 foot lead ropes together) put the clip at the back of the trailer. Run the rope into the trailer through the side window and down the outside to the back door. I always keep a buggy whip in the trailer as I’ve seen it Come in handy with other people. Walk the horse up to the trailer as far as you can. When he stops clip the long lead up that you’ve run through the trailer onto his halter. Then you can put pressure on the halter while standing to the side of the horse and putting pressure from behind with the buggy whip if you need to. It’s impossible to put pressure on both ends of the horse when solo without this leverage.

It took very little pressure and the gelding jumped right in the trailer like nothing was ever wrong. Obviously not how you wanna do it every time lol. But saved my bacon in a pinch!

Moral of the story I now keep a 50 foot 3/8 inch check cord rope in the trailer along with the buggy whip. For emergency situations like that, because you just never know.

So my suggestion is put a long rope and Buggy whip in the tack room in case of emergency. Also here’s a book I would recommend picking up and reading. It’s cheap and it’ll save you from a lot of frustration in the future.

Chase

OP
yycyak

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
TRIP – OCT/24
####

Edit: Usual "I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not an expert. Probably don't do what I do." etc.

It was a busy week this last week, so was only able to get the horses out for a trip on Friday. I know, I know:

pLrcWNC.jpeg

But this time out I had things planned a little differently. My intention was this trip was a training trip, not a hunt. My goal: We were doing a water crossing, without drama. And if it took 4 hours to figure it out, well, it took 4 hours. And I'd hunt with whatever time was left in the day.

Armed with the Rokslide Collective’s tips on how to pony, plus a summarized version of @missjordan 's post written on a sticky note, I got the horses loaded into the trailer, and off we went.

Sticky Note, for reference later
RcGrHNK.jpeg

Friday was the season opener for everything local here, and it was a zoo out there. Every trailhead and public land approach had trucks galore there. But that was okay – Training trip, remember.

After an hour or so of driving, got to the trailhead where I had issues with the water crossing before. (6x trucks parked at that trailhead too.) Got the horses unloaded and tacked up without issue. Time to mount up.

And of course, here I run into my usual How-To-Mount-While-Ponying issue. But this time I came prepared. I got the mare set up at the 2-o’clock position, with the lead rope over the saddle horn. Got the gelding’s reins in my left hand, lightly grab saddle horn, mount, bam. No issues. Start walking, let lead rope slide out around saddle horn, done. Dragon slain.

oa5vlmN.png

The entourage and I make it down to the river bottom. I have the idea that I’ll cross the same way I did last time: walk on foot across a bunch of riffle sections, get to one 10ft-across, knee-deep section, mount, and cross. Worked last time without an issue, so shouldn’t be an issue this time, right?

Wrong. Gelding says no way.

NEXT

So here’s where a guy might get a bit frustrated or rattled, but I had my trusty sticky note. (I also had suspected I'd be dealing with refusals after how the other week went.)

Side-note: I do this exercise a lot with my horses, with the end goal of getting them to calmly walk over a noisy blue tarp, or post, or other scary things. You basically plant yourself about 5ft off a fence, and send your horse between you and the fence. Key part: you don’t move your feet, ever. Your horse needs to go calmly between you and the fence, without knocking you over.

For those of you in the horse world, there’s a ton of different names for this exercise that all of the various “Guru’s” out there call it. For those of you not in the horse world, here’s 2x videos that show how it’s done. (Go youtube whomever you want to learn from - It's all the same stuff anyway.)

So between this and my sticky note, I had a game plan.

Now I wasn’t going to get too grumpy here. The gelding is a young 5, and lived his life on a flat-land hutterite colony. Mountains and rivers are maybe not quite on his thing (yet.) But, he's also crossed rivers and creeks before, and knows he won't die. I mean we walked this exact same one last week without him dying, so he knows what's up.

Long story short, I plant my feet about 5ft away from the river, and start sending him back and forth between me and the river. At first he dodges the water, but slowly his feet get closer to the river. I move to 4ft. Now his feet hit the water. Initially he does the WTF thing, but gets through it.

We repeat this a bunch until he figures out if he stops in the water (about 1ft deep), he gets to chill a bit. He eventually drops his head, has a drink, and chills out.

The rest of this part is anticlimactic. We do this exercise in three different spots on the riverbank, and eventually he is doing 8ft circles around me on the lead rope, in water, out of water, in water, out of water.

NEXT

At some point though you have to stop doing groundwork, and get riding. So, same drill as before: Mare at 2 o’clock, lead rope around saddle horn, mount, done. Almost look like I know what I’m doing. (Laughs in insecurity.)

No cheating at the short 10ft section - We head over to the full-on main crossing part of the river 90ft+ or something. We get to about 2ft away from the water, and refusal. He won’t go forward. Turns away to the left – I turn him right. Turns right – I turn him left. Don’t like the water – Too bad, we are facing it.

The spinning and turning stop. Now, it’s just the gelding planting his feet, and not doing anything.

No surprise here, and in anticipation of this exact thing I had done the old “Phone A Friend” trick. In this case the friend was an outfitter out of the Yukon, and she gave me some cowboy tricks that have worked for her critters in the past.

** So this part I suppose isn’t politically correct, but it’s here so that people can learn. I wish I’d known it earlier, and sure would have been grateful to have this info posted somewhere. But also, don’t be an idiot – Know your limitations, know your horses. This stuff can get you into a bad place quick if you use it the wrong way. Peter Parker, Uncle Ben, "Great Power, Great Responsibility" etc. Be safe out there, and know the difference between genuine fear response vs being stubborn. **

NEXT

I don’t like split reins, because I’m mostly an uncoordinated fool with them. I always wind up with a messed up bridge and reins way too long. But, for stuff like this, a set of heavy leather split reins can be used as a sort-of over-under, for when horses are being bratty and/or stubborn, and decide they don't want to move forward. So for this trip, I ran my DIY 3/4" leather 8ft split reins that are ugly as sin, but mostly work.

You need a horse to go forward when they don’t want to? Take your split-reins in your right hand, and do a quick left-right-left-right thrash with them over your horse’s bum. Not being abusive, or mean, or anything emotional (If you’re emotional doing this, you’re doing it wrong, and you're going to have a wreck probably.) It’s a quick “Hey, I’m onto your game here horse. You’ve been asked, now you’re being told.” I can’t really explain how to do this in an internet post – It's done by feel.

Key point: As soon as your horse goes forward just the tiniest bit, STOP. Again, you’re not being a jerk or "Teaching a lesson" or anything like that. You're doing the Pressure-Release thing. Forward movement = Instant release of pressure.

(Side comment: why not spurs? Turns out if you use spurs poorly, you’re more likely to get a rearing pony. Bad news bears when you're on a riverbank full of large rocks.)

NEXT

So here we go. Smoochie noise, then slight leg pressure. Nothing. Heavy leg pressure. Nothing. Okay, here we go. Smoochie noise, leg pressure, then Split reins + butt smacks = Gelding going "Holy hell what was that!" and I get a big movement forward. All pressure off. Gelding's front legs are in the water now. Progress.

Ok, try again. Smooch, nothing. Leg pressure, nothing. Pick up split reins = Small step forward. Drop reins, all pressure off. Okay, more progress. He's made the connection between split rein tails vs not moving forward. (Note I said "Pick up reins." Literally just picked the tails up with my right hand. Nothing else was needed.)

This song and dance repeats until we are about 7ft into the river, at which point the gelding drops his head, sticks his nose in the water for a bit, blows out, and starts putting one foot in front of the other. I give him a loose rein, and he finds his way across without issue. Huge win, and I'm feeling pretty good at this point.

NEXT

We get across the river (lots of praise once we get there) and the gelding isn't stopping - He goes straight up the bank, carrying my chunky carcass up the hill with him. We get to the top, and take a break. Lots of pets and praise. I look at my watch: killed 1.5hours doing this. Oh well. Still have the rest of the day. Off we go.

This stage of the day was mostly uneventful. We crossed a meadow, and started heading up the valley along an old game trail. I got off and walked a few times just to give the gelding a break. I also take time to pick up and play with the split reins, showing that they aren't a whip/thing to be scared of. Eventually we get to a decent spot up deep in the valley bottom where I can glass things and look for sheep.

I tie the horses up to some scrub poplar, and give them some oats. They stand around eating, while I sit on top of one of my junker panniers and look at rocks for two hours.

0mOkDEM.jpeg

tZEr2y2.jpeg

TmfDScl.jpeg

Part 2 next (ran out of characters)

Last edited:
OP
yycyak

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Part 2 cont'd.

NEXT

It’s time to head home. (No sheep today, but did glass up a hunter-orange hat walking around a different ridgeline.) Same routine: Pack everything up, tighten cinches, get the mare at the 2-o’clock position, mount, done. Start walking home.

At this stage I was expecting the gelding to start walking out, and ripping the mare’s face off again. I was expecting to have to do the one-rein stop thing that Jordan had commented on (Note to self: You can do a one-rein stop this in a non-emergency. Who knew.) I start with a verbal “Easy”, and then check-check the reins firmly. Gelding slows for a while, then speeds up again. “Easy” + firm and deliberate check-check. Gelding slows, and stays slowed. Hmm… Not sure what’s with that, but I’ll take it.

We ride out of the valley at an easy pace, with no issues.

DIY Split Reins
4SLGs7n.jpeg

NEXT

We get to the top of the river bank, and I walk the horses down to the bottom. (The bank is steep, rocky, and just mostly crap.) Get to the bottom, and the gelding is facing the river, and about 2ft away from it. I get the ponies organized, and mount up. Give the gelding a bit of leg pressure.

He walks into the river without hesitating. I give him his head, and he finds his way across the river without any problem. Mare trails behind doing her thing. I have no idea what happened here, but I'm buzzing with a good feeling as we splash steadily across to the far bank.

We ride all the way back to the truck with no issues.

NEXT

Okay, all packed up and get ready to head for home. But, I have to get the horses on the trailer.

Mare loads no problem, like always.

I go to load the gelding: Get him facing the trailer, we walk about 7 steps up to it, I step up into the trailer, and he freezes about 3ft from the door. Same refusal deal as last time, but again have a game plan for this.

I get out, and stand outside the trailer by the latch. I get set up as if I was doing the “send” exercise over a tarp. Feet planted, left arm up-and-out, and I’m about to pressure with my right arm when the gelding just walks right on the trailer…

Hmm, okay. That was nifty, but I also don’t know wtf just happened. Maybe me walking into the trailer is something that he doesn’t like?

Either way, ponies loaded with no drama, and I finish tying him off.

Double-check all the trailer hookups are good, and we head for home. No sheep, but it was a good day.

What Worked
  • Everything. It was a weird day, and I'm grateful. Every now and then you get a win, so enjoy them when they happen.
  • Long lead ropes – Good for lunging on the trail, if needed.
  • Mounting with pack horse at 2 o’clock. (Huge thanks to all the commenters who posted on how to do this properly.)
  • Split reins. Good for cowboy stuff. (Again: Know what you’re doing. You can get into a rodeo quick this way.)
What Didn’t Work
  • Ultralight tripod. You have horses – Bring a good, solid tripod. (Still getting used to how much weight you can bring when you have horses vs a backpack.) This tripod worked, but was hard to hold steady when set up tall like this. Usually I'm on my butt on a sitting pad, with no tripod legs extended.

Last edited:
I’m dead with the sticky note. Spit my coffee out, that made my morning

You did it!! Good job you should be really proud of what you accomplished today. Only up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
yycyak

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Well your earlier post was 100% accurate. My two takeaways from it:

(1) You never know who anyone is on the internet. For all you (and others) know I literally just bought 2x horses, and went into the woods. That's maybe not quite what I did, but again, you never know who you're talking to or their experience level.

(2) As a guy who didn't quite buy 2x horses and go into the woods, but still has a long way to go, your post drove home that ponies aren't puppies. Love and head scratches don't always get things done, and a horse doing wrong thing = hard work for horse, solves a lot of things. Act accordingly.

I've got a trained hunting dog at home, and to be frank I'm learning that what works for dogs is very different than what works with horses. Dogs generally have an innate desire to please people. Horses generally don't (Or at least that's been my general experience to date.) If I verbally scold my dog, she's devastated. If I verbally scold the horses, they don't care.

I needed to be in a different headspace, and I've found sticky notes in strategic places are a good way to keep your head in the game.

I’m dead with the sticky note. Spit my coffee out, that made my morning

You did it!! Good job you should be really proud of what you accomplished today. Only up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: