Breaking Rules, Tack, and Everything Else: My DIY Horseback Hunting Chronicle

About the only horses I've ever seen that would stand still for hours and hours untied and never move no matter what was going on were the Amish buggy horses. They must train them to ignore everything going on around them. I don't know how they do this, but it must take time and patience. I've seen them in parking lots unattended at various stores hooked to a buggy, yeah maybe there is a brake on that cart but that won't stop a horse if he wants to go. No way would I ever get off my horse and walk away from him to do something else when you are that far away from civilization no matter how well it was trained. My horse comes right to me with a particular whistle and that's how I trained him ( I watched Hidalgo too many times ) and I still wouldn't do it. Stuff happens.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I always tie my horses when I stop on the trail for whatever reason. I use a quick release knot, so I can get going again quickly.

450, depends on the size/weight/condition of the mules' being used, deboning the elk or not and whether you are riding or walking. I would think the minimum would be 3 solid mules if you are walking out. 2 for the quartered-up elk carcass and 1 for a basic camp and the rack. Add a riding mule or horse if you want to ride out.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question and remember I haven’t started down this road yet but I will be. For a solo hunter, how many pack mules would be needed for an elk hunt? That’s bringing camp/elk out in one trip? I know a lot depends on your camp and I’m use to doing Super Cub fly-in hunts where you are limited to 50 lbs total for everything (food, tent, sleeping bag, clothes). Thanks in advance for info.
It depends on the pack-out distance, the size of the mules, and whether or not you are willing to walk out. A mule should be able to easily pack 30% of it's body weight for extended periods, more for shorter periods. You could probably get away with 2 mules for your solo hunts if you're willing to walk out leading the animals. Otherwise 3 mules. Keep in mind, the fewer the number of animals, the easier it will be to care for them in the backcountry. Keeping 3 animals fed and watered is a significant task for 1 person, plus hunting on top of it.