Breakfast kit

BowBaboon

FNG
I decided to throw these together to have as a light weight breakfast in the backcountry. They each come in at 6oz and a little over 600 calories with 30+ grams of protein. All they take to “cook” is 3/4 cup of water, and I don’t have to wait for them to soak.

These are:
1/2 cup oats
Scoop of body fortress protein powder
2 tbsp pb powder
1/4 cup walnuts
Dehydrated strawberries and blueberries
Dash of cinnamon

What are others doing for breakfast out there?

Attachments

• IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 28
I used to do similar. Lately, I have just used a couple packets of instant oats and added a packet of freeze dried fruit.

My local grocery store (King Soopers) has them pre-packaged in serving sizes. I think there's 6 packets in a bag. So I mix one of them and 2-3 instant packets for one breakfast.

You dehydrated berries look much better though. I find freeze-dried fruit to have a kind of styrofoam-ness about it.

One thing about the dehydrated PB is that it actually has less cals/ounce than normal PB- I assume because they remove all of the calorie dense oils. I thought the dehydrated PB would be awesome for backpacking until I noticed this.

Now I just use the single use packets of real peanut or almond butter and make a similar overnight oats to what you have here. Granted with packaging on the PB it might be a wash.

OP
B

BowBaboon

FNG
You dehydrated berries look much better though. I find freeze-dried fruit to have a kind of styrofoam-ness about it.
The only freeze dried fruit I’ve had comes from those Peak breakfast. That’s actually why I made these, spending $8 on one of those vs a few bucks for this kit.

OP
B

BowBaboon

FNG
One thing about the dehydrated PB is that it actually has less cals/ounce than normal PB- I assume because they remove all of the calorie dense oils. I thought the dehydrated PB would be awesome for backpacking until I noticed this.

Now I just use the single use packets of real peanut or almond butter and make a similar overnight oats to what you have here. Granted with packaging on the PB it might be a wash.
That’s a really good point. I’m sure you get a ton more fat from it too.

I think I saw those single serve nut butter packets on sale last week…

That’s a really good point. I’m sure you get a ton more fat from it too.

I think I saw those single serve nut butter packets on sale last week…
Just to make sure I wasn’t mistaken I looked up the nutrition facts. It does look like the dehydrated stuff has more protein.

dehydrated PB: 3.75cal/gram
IMG_7537.jpeg

Justins Almond Butter: 6.875 cal/gram
IMG_7538.jpeg

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I use mountain house Granola with berries, eat it cold in morning while I'm still in my sleeping bag... I prefer pecans over walnuts because of the buttery taste and I use a packet of almond butter and I also use Peak Refuel mountain berry granola or with strawberry. I like the quickness of it so I can get going quicker.