Breakdown of my DREAM rifle (what is yours?)

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is a thread I’ve wanted to start for years, because if you’re anything like me, you’re constantly building the perfect rifle for each situation in your head. Since I’m stuck inside on this rainy day, thinking about the fall, I thought I would breakdown and explain why I think I’ve created the ultimate rifle for hunting out west. Do you agree that I nailed it? If not, put in some effort and show us how you would create your dream rifle?

Base rifle: Kimber 84L Super America. I would look a used one, and the caliber doesn’t matter because I just want it for the stock and action. This would be such a good donor rifle because you get a stunning AAA grade Walnut stock. The lightweight scaled down action is made to fit the 30-06 family of cartridges, so you’re not packing around the extra weight of a generic action that has to be big enough to handle magnums. I’m aware the walnut stock is heavier and out of fashion these days, but I think it adds so much more character to a rifle, and I’m an absolute wood freak. It would be simple to have another carbon stock to swap out on the rifle if you wanted to take it on a sheep hunt or something.

kimber.jpg

Barrel: I would go with a 22” long Bartlein. I want one contour heavier then comes stock on a Kimber so it would not be as finicky when trying to shoot three or five shot groups. This should be a #2 barrel contour I think. My goal for the bare rifle would be about a 6.5 lb. weight. I’m sure everyone has their favorite brand, so I took advice from this article at Precision Rifle Blog.

Gunsmith Work: Since this is my dream rifle, I would not hold back on making it perfect. I would have a gunsmith true the action and lap the locking lugs. Then I would ask him to bed the action into the stock. To protect the finish I would have all metalwork Cerakoted in a dark color that matches the classic look of blued steel as closely as possible.

Optics: To keep this package simple, light, and traditionally beautiful I would get a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. This is light at 13.5 ounces. The elevation turret is adjustable and has the all-important locking feature. The magnification range and 55 moa elevation adjustment will be just about right to make this a 500 yard capable shooting system. A set of 3 ounce Talley rings would be my choice to couple the optics and rifle together.

leupold-vx-3hd-3.5-10x40-2.jpg

Caliber and Bullet: 280 Ackley Improved and 155 gr Terminal Ascent bullet. I won’t make the mistake of calling this the “best” cartridge, because frankly I don’t care about that argument. It fits into the Kimber’s trim 84L action size and has a good mix of power versus recoil. To me the bullet is way more interesting. It has a relatively high BC of .586, and a moderate enough weight that it can be launched to 2900 fps. It’s hard to find a bullet that mixes a tough internal construction with a highly aerodynamic shape. This will do a fantastic job on game from antelope to elk!

Rifle Support System: Guns on the lighter end of the spectrum can be hard to shoot accurately at longer range, which is why I always think about what kind of rest or support system I could use. My knowledge extends most deeply to the Spartan Precision Equipment product line because I’m a rep for them, but I’m always interested to hear other suggestions you have. The Javelin Pro Hunt Tac is my favorite bipod because I can keep it out of the way on my hip pouch when it’s not in use, then attach it in two seconds with the magnetic mount. Height adjustment is similar to the ratchet style leg adjustments many of us grew up with, except this super stable bipod only weighs 8 ounces! To get a sleek and nearly unnoticeable bipod mount, I would have the flush fitting Gunsmith Adapter installed in the forend of the stock.

PHTac-7_2000x2.jpg

Conclusion: Wow, this was really fun to finally put my dream down on paper! A rough estimate is a little less than $4000 all-in to make this build happen. My rifle idea is the culmination of countless hours thinking about how to build something that's drop dead gorgeous, light enough to be a pleasure to carry, with a simple scope and support that gives me the confidence to shoot out to 500 yards. This isn't intended to start any arguments on what is best, or to put anyone down. In fact, I would love to see a breakdown of what your dream rifle would look like. Start putting ideas down on paper and let your imagination run wild!

I would say a short action 6.5 CM. Tikka action 20 " proof barrel threaded with a wildcat stock for the mountains AND for safari I would go with a Winchester Model 70 , Grade 5 walnut , 22 " barrel with iron sights with a low power scope. Talley quick detach rings and a red decelerator pad as a classic finishing touch.

I just built my dream rifle I think it's the perfect balance of LR precision and packability in the mountains where I live.

Here's the specs:
Defiance anTi LA
Triggertech special
Hawkins BDL
24" 8 twist fluted #5 Rock creek barrel (weighs 3lbs) chambered in 30 Nosler
Allterra Arms Carbon Hunter stock
Hawkins ultralight tactical rings
March 4.5-28 FX scope
Banish 30 suppressor
Rifle weighs 6.8 lbs bare, 10 lbs with scope and suppressor

I'm sending 220 Bergers 3000 fps, this is my go to elk rifle in more open country, and with the suppressor it doesn't even move when my wife shoots it.
20210521_091002.jpg
20210521_090132.jpg

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
After not being satisfied with a few higher end box rifles and learning more about what I really wanted out of a rifle I started buying components over time. That ultimately kicked me into full send mode and I figured best to have 2 ready to rock at all times, so now my wife's is being built also so we have his and hers customs lol. I definitely love the look of a classic style rifle but the advantages of new technology has me hooked. These are my first customs, so we gon' learn soon!

Mine: Defiance anTi XM action, Defiance XM BDL kit, Trigger Tech primary, 26" CarbonSix Sendero barrel chambered in 7 Sherman Max, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Talley lightweight rings, topped with a Zeiss V4 4-16x50. Still undecided on brake and bipod. Being built by Kinport Peak Rifles. 180gr Berger VLD's secured for load development.

Hers: Tikka LA and components, 24" fluted Bartlein 3b chambered in 280ai, Kampfeld brake, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Talley lightweight rings, topped with a Nikon Black FX-1000 until I can recoup some funds and get another Zeiss lol. Being built by Kampfeld Customs. This one will launch 162gr Hornady ELD-M's, or possibly 140gr Berger VLD's if they come back in stock sometime soon..

Last edited:
I suppose I already had mine built. My current custom is a mid-weight build, coming in around 10.5lbs with suppressor.

Mausingfield Short Action
Proof CF barrel, 22" chambered in 6.5CM and threaded 5/8-24.
Manners EH1 with mini-chassis
TriggerTech Special
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm
Thunderbeast Ultra-9 (I own the entire TBAC Ultra lineup so I interchange suppressors as needed)

My lightweight dream build is actually one my father already has (at my recommendation). It's harder for me to obtain now though. I personally consider it the ideal lightweight suppressor host, period.

Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM with 18.5" barrel threaded 5/8-24
TBAC Ultra-5
His scope is a Vortex Razor HD LH, mine would probably be a Nightforce SHV 3-10.

This is a thread I’ve wanted to start for years, because if you’re anything like me, you’re constantly building the perfect rifle for each situation in your head. Since I’m stuck inside on this rainy day, thinking about the fall, I thought I would breakdown and explain why I think I’ve created the ultimate rifle for hunting out west. Do you agree that I nailed it? If not, put in some effort and show us how you would create your dream rifle?

Base rifle: Kimber 84L Super America. I would look a used one, and the caliber doesn’t matter because I just want it for the stock and action. This would be such a good donor rifle because you get a stunning AAA grade Walnut stock. The lightweight scaled down action is made to fit the 30-06 family of cartridges, so you’re not packing around the extra weight of a generic action that has to be big enough to handle magnums. I’m aware the walnut stock is heavier and out of fashion these days, but I think it adds so much more character to a rifle, and I’m an absolute wood freak. It would be simple to have another carbon stock to swap out on the rifle if you wanted to take it on a sheep hunt or something.

View attachment 292958

Barrel: I would go with a 22” long Bartlein. I want one contour heavier then comes stock on a Kimber so it would not be as finicky when trying to shoot three or five shot groups. This should be a #2 barrel contour I think. My goal for the bare rifle would be about a 6.5 lb. weight. I’m sure everyone has their favorite brand, so I took advice from this article at Precision Rifle Blog.

Gunsmith Work: Since this is my dream rifle, I would not hold back on making it perfect. I would have a gunsmith true the action and lap the locking lugs. Then I would ask him to bed the action into the stock. To protect the finish I would have all metalwork Cerakoted in a dark color that matches the classic look of blued steel as closely as possible.

Optics: To keep this package simple, light, and traditionally beautiful I would get a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. This is light at 13.5 ounces. The elevation turret is adjustable and has the all-important locking feature. The magnification range and 55 moa elevation adjustment will be just about right to make this a 500 yard capable shooting system. A set of 3 ounce Talley rings would be my choice to couple the optics and rifle together.

View attachment 292959

Caliber and Bullet: 280 Ackley Improved and 155 gr Terminal Ascent bullet. I won’t make the mistake of calling this the “best” cartridge, because frankly I don’t care about that argument. It fits into the Kimber’s trim 84L action size and has a good mix of power versus recoil. To me the bullet is way more interesting. It has a relatively high BC of .586, and a moderate enough weight that it can be launched to 2900 fps. It’s hard to find a bullet that mixes a tough internal construction with a highly aerodynamic shape. This will do a fantastic job on game from antelope to elk!

Rifle Support System: Guns on the lighter end of the spectrum can be hard to shoot accurately at longer range, which is why I always think about what kind of rest or support system I could use. My knowledge extends most deeply to the Spartan Precision Equipment product line because I’m a rep for them, but I’m always interested to hear other suggestions you have. The Javelin Pro Hunt Tac is my favorite bipod because I can keep it out of the way on my hip pouch when it’s not in use, then attach it in two seconds with the magnetic mount. Height adjustment is similar to the ratchet style leg adjustments many of us grew up with, except this super stable bipod only weighs 8 ounces! To get a sleek and nearly unnoticeable bipod mount, I would have the flush fitting Gunsmith Adapter installed in the forend of the stock.

View attachment 292960

Conclusion: Wow, this was really fun to finally put my dream down on paper! A rough estimate is a little less than $4000 all-in to make this build happen. My rifle idea is the culmination of countless hours thinking about how to build something that's drop dead gorgeous, light enough to be a pleasure to carry, with a simple scope and support that gives me the confidence to shoot out to 500 yards. This isn't intended to start any arguments on what is best, or to put anyone down. In fact, I would love to see a breakdown of what your dream rifle would look like. Start putting ideas down on paper and let your imagination run wild!
I would love to be able to build almost this exact rifle, nice wood and everything.... but a stainless action and blind mag. I think if someone made aftermarket 'guts' for kimber hunters, and stocks for the 84l's, there world would be a better place.

Love the idea.

The current dream rifle is on the way... be here next week.

Impact Titan Action
Manners Eh4 w ultra light cheek riser and Hawkins hunter BM w custom cerakote job
TT Diamond
Proof 16.5” 6 CM w cerakote to match stock
Threaded, chambered, and bedded by Altus. Will wear a Vortex AMG-5 w Hawkins ultra light rings.
atlas bipod w matching cerakote

30192B6A-35AD-4B22-AF21-D5791C7805F4.pngF9739D9C-8360-4EC1-9DDF-710BFE7A8F25.png

The current dream rifle is on the way... be here next week.

Impact Titan Action
Manners Eh4 w ultra light cheek riser and Hawkins hunter BM w custom cerakote job
TT Diamond
Proof 16.5” 6 CM w cerakote to match stock
Threaded, chambered, and bedded by Altus. Will wear a Vortex AMG-5 w Hawkins ultra light rings.
atlas bipod w matching cerakote

View attachment 293168View attachment 293169
That is a beautiful rifle with a beautiful case layout

Thank you sir! A very close friend of mine put this rig together and I was able to watch it all come together. I bought my other dream rifle from him. He has talent in putting together beautiful rigs!!

Thank you sir! A very close friend of mine put this rig together and I was able to watch it all come together. I bought my other dream rifle from him. He has talent in putting together beautiful rigs!!

Id like to see close up of that Stock , looks bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric_F

FNG
I'm slowly buying parts and reloading components for this gun. Realistic dream, as cost no object would maybe be an AnTi action with a Bartlein carbon 400MODBB and March scope or something. But this one may actually happen:
Screenshot_20210522-153342.png

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just built my dream rifle I think it's the perfect balance of LR precision and packability in the mountains where I live.

Here's the specs:
Defiance anTi LA
Triggertech special
Hawkins BDL
24" 8 twist fluted #5 Rock creek barrel (weighs 3lbs) chambered in 30 Nosler
Allterra Arms Carbon Hunter stock
Hawkins ultralight tactical rings
March 4.5-28 FX scope
Banish 30 suppressor
Rifle weighs 6.8 lbs bare, 10 lbs with scope and suppressor

I'm sending 220 Bergers 3000 fps, this is my go to elk rifle in more open country, and with the suppressor it doesn't even move when my wife shoots it.
View attachment 293052
View attachment 293044
How do you like the Allterra stock? I held one at a rifle show and thought it felt pretty amazing, but I didn't get any trigger time behind it

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After not being satisfied with a few higher end box rifles and learning more about what I really wanted out of a rifle I started buying components over time. That ultimately kicked me into full send mode and I figured best to have 2 ready to rock at all times, so now my wife's is being built also so we have his and hers customs lol. I definitely love the look of a classic style rifle but the advantages of new technology has me hooked. These are my first customs, so we gon' learn soon!

Mine: Defiance anTi XM action, Defiance XM BDL kit, Trigger Tech primary, 26" CarbonSix Sendero barrel chambered in 7 Sherman Max, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Talley lightweight rings, topped with a Zeiss V4 4-16x50. Still undecided on brake and bipod. Being built by Kinport Peak Rifles. 180gr Berger VLD's secured for load development.

Hers: Tikka LA and components, 24" fluted Bartlein 3b chambered in 280ai, Kampfeld brake, Mesa Precision Altitude stock, Talley lightweight rings, topped with a Nikon Black FX-1000 until I can recoup some funds and get another Zeiss lol. Being built by Kampfeld Customs. This one will launch 162gr Hornady ELD-M's, or possibly 140gr Berger VLD's if they come back in stock sometime soon..
Wow, you have created some awesome rifle builds! I have been going down the custom route more and more these days too because it allows us to get exactly what we want, instead of finding the best compromise. Since you have gone to great lengths to keep the weight down, PM me if you'd like a discount on some ultra light Spartan bipods to top these guns off.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suppose I already had mine built. My current custom is a mid-weight build, coming in around 10.5lbs with suppressor.

Mausingfield Short Action
Proof CF barrel, 22" chambered in 6.5CM and threaded 5/8-24.
Manners EH1 with mini-chassis
TriggerTech Special
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm
Thunderbeast Ultra-9 (I own the entire TBAC Ultra lineup so I interchange suppressors as needed)

My lightweight dream build is actually one my father already has (at my recommendation). It's harder for me to obtain now though. I personally consider it the ideal lightweight suppressor host, period.

Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM with 18.5" barrel threaded 5/8-24
TBAC Ultra-5
His scope is a Vortex Razor HD LH, mine would probably be a Nightforce SHV 3-10.
What percent recoil reduction do you think a suppressor gives? I have a suppressor, but it's on a to 223 so it's hard to tell

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Having one built now:
Bat Vampire
Bartlein carbon barrel 30 Nosler 1in9" twist
Mcmillan Game scout
Bix n Andy tac sport
Nightforce NX8 4-32/ NF rings
Sweet build! Is this going to be an elk rifle? What bullets are you planning on shooting?