Break pellet guns

Jd259

WKR
Hey guys so I’ve got a massive ground squirrel problem on my property that I need to get a hold on so I’m looking for a good accurate break pellet gun I’m only on a few acres with neighbors around so a 22 is out of the question I’ve been looking a lot in the inter webs but everything seems to have very mixed reviews Diana seems to be a very good and accurate brand but can’t seem to find them anywhere does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks!

Wvroach

WKR
Hey guys so I’ve got a massive ground squirrel problem on my property that I need to get a hold on so I’m looking for a good accurate break pellet gun I’m only on a few acres with neighbors around so a 22 is out of the question I’ve been looking a lot in the inter webs but everything seems to have very mixed reviews Diana seems to be a very good and accurate brand but can’t seem to find them anywhere does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks!
A few acres seems ok for a 22 as long as you have a safe distance and background. I wouldn't think just because it is a pellet rifle you can ignore that especially with the modern springers/nitro pistons and pcp rifles. They will ballistically match a 22 short, some will surpass them.
I know some localities/hoas etc may limit you to air guns only so I understand the desire for one in those situations.

If you do go air rifle I'd suggest getting a .22 or .25 cal pellet and to skip the alloy pellets and look for the heavier lead. In my experience they are more accurate.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Yeah I’ve found them there and at other sites but no one has them in stock it’s all preorder with no ship date.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
A few acres seems ok for a 22 as long as you have a safe distance and background. I wouldn't think just because it is a pellet rifle you can ignore that especially with the modern springers/nitro pistons and pcp rifles. They will ballistically match a 22 short, some will surpass them.
I know some localities/hoas etc may limit you to air guns only so I understand the desire for one in those situations.

If you do go air rifle I'd suggest getting a .22 or .25 cal pellet and to skip the alloy pellets and look for the heavier lead. In my experience they are more accurate.
My town does have a law limiting to air rifles so that’s what I’m goin with.

wesfromky

WKR
I had one of these and it worked well. The compressed spring break actions are not as accurate as the break actions that compress a gas piston, like this one:

WRM

WKR
+1 on Gamo. Mine is much older than above post, but it has always worked great and pretty accurate. I think I paid around $150 for mine, but, again, many years ago.

FLATHEAD

WKR
The one break barrel I have prints patterns instead of groups. Basically worthless.
I have a few other pumps, much better.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Like all things firearms related, you get what you pay for. A nice spring piston/gas piston rifle should run you $300-500. And a good optic for it will add another $100-200. You can't use a regular rifle scope on a piston air rifle due to the recoil, it WILL destroy a regular rifle scope. Airguns of Arizon or Pyramid Air are the two main sites for getting good guns. I've had good luck with the Sig Sauer Whiskey3ASP but I work at a gun store that is a Sig Elite Dealer so I might be biased. Look for a gun with specs at least 800fps in .22 which means you'll probably get about 730fps with a good pellet. .25cal gets you more knockdown power but more expensive pellets that you might not be able to find locally.

You may get lucky with a $150 benjamin nitro or gamo swarm. Or you might not. I had a nitro for about a weekend. Wasn't accurate enough for me. Good chance I'm an airgun snob tho....but I also don't like my squirrels running into a neighbor's yard to die. That's no fun.

Btaylor

WKR
Like all things firearms related, you get what you pay for. A nice spring piston/gas piston rifle should run you $300-500. And a good optic for it will add another $100-200. You can't use a regular rifle scope on a piston air rifle due to the recoil, it WILL destroy a regular rifle scope. Airguns of Arizon or Pyramid Air are the two main sites for getting good guns. I've had good luck with the Sig Sauer Whiskey3ASP but I work at a gun store that is a Sig Elite Dealer so I might be biased. Look for a gun with specs at least 800fps in .22 which means you'll probably get about 730fps with a good pellet. .25cal gets you more knockdown power but more expensive pellets that you might not be able to find locally.

You may get lucky with a $150 benjamin nitro or gamo swarm. Or you might not. I had a nitro for about a weekend. Wasn't accurate enough for me. Good chance I'm an airgun snob tho....but I also don't like my squirrels running into a neighbor's yard to die. That's no fun.
Can you elaborate on the "cant use a rifle scope" because of recoil?

BBob

WKR
Can you elaborate on the "cant use a rifle scope" because of recoil?
There are scopes made specifically for "springers". They have a reverse recoil impulse that tends to break regular scopes.

I'll chime in on Gamo's, I've had two for many years that get left next to a couple of entry/exit doors so they are handy to whack pests as needed. Never a problem and cheap.

Btaylor

WKR
There are scopes made specifically for "springers". They have a reverse recoil impulse that tends to break regular scopes.

I'll chime in on Gamo's, I've had two for many years that get left next to a couple of entry/exit doors so they are handy to whack pests as needed. Never a problem and cheap.
Appreciate the reply. I would have never thought a scope built for any caliber centerfire rifle would be affected much less damaged by the "recoil" of a pellet gun.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider

Yep. The piston slamming forward to compress the air rebounds a bit causing a rapid acceleration in the opposite direction. Also why you never want to dry fire a spring piston airgun. With no resistance the piston slams all the way into the front of the cylinder. Makes guns unhappy.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!
My Gamo Varmint absolutely stones small critters inside 30 yards. Never shot anything farther than that. My father in law's .22 Gamo is deadly and accurate out to about 60.

Runar

FNG
I had ground squirrels visiting my yard (2 acres) for the first time last year and expect the population to grow. I tried to get shots a few times, then I just put my live trap out with chicken scratch in it. Made short work of the problem, but it’s just a matter of time before more migrate in. The live trap was handy for coons that were zeroed in on our chickens too.

TheGDog

WKR
You want to get a Break Barrel that is of the GasSpring Piston type. They can remained cocked for a long time without damaging affect. Whereas with Springer Piston BreakBarrels they tell you not to leave them cocked for extended periods as it can do something to the metal spring if I recall. GasPiston doesn't have that problem.

And also seems to do much less gyrating in your hand upon firing it, so you remain much more on target in your scope after making the shot. I've got an Umarex Octane .22 And it's nice and quiet. Maybe about the sound of a mild pneumatic roofing nailer. The pellet hitting a backstop is noticeably louder than the actual firing of it! I've seen YT vids where they chronied realworld about 985fps w/ 16.xx gr pellets same as I was using. So that's pretty decent energy for a breakbarrel! It's like just a notch down from CCI-QUIET-22's. Only because that 40gr bullet on the QUIET-22's has more than double the weight of the pellets.

It's supessor is plastic though so ya gotta heed their warning and NOT grab there with your hand when cocking the barrel. It's a nice stout force to cock it... I think it's supposed to be like... 42Lbs. But it does a good job on getting critters. Long as you get the right kind of pellet for what you're doing.

I have a Benjamin Trail NP XL 22. It's a tack driver, as long as you close the barrel consistently, fully. That is the short coming of having an action mounted scope on a break barrel.