Brass annealing service or?

rcalmus

FNG
Does anyone have recommendations for induction annealing services out there? Or any places to stay clear of. I’m seeing pricing at $50 for 500 pieces. Also, wondering if I should just bite the bullet and order up an AMP and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
OP I’ll add, what and how much of it are you going to anneal? Multiple calibers with multiple head stamps, maybe the amp would be easier.

Lots of guys in my state will anneal for you, however many don’t really advertise and mainly do it for other match shooters. I’d check with whatever group or range hosts matches in your area.

I chose the amp because I wanted consistent results, with minimal farting around. I can be up in running in no time with new different kinds of brass, and I can do it in the comfort of my home. It took the guess work out of it for me.

After getting it set up, I find that it's the most fun step of the whole reloading process. There is the precision and uniformity of the induction annealing but there's also the feel of craftsmanship.

OP
rcalmus

rcalmus

FNG
Thanks for all the insight guys! I have been in touch with unknown munitions and they will do 100 pieces for $25. So to me the question comes down to how much of a science is it? What is the concern level of over or under annealing and affecting the quality of my ammo. Also, I know this probably won't change much with annealing but does anyone think the annealing process will change once the pros get good data from these new amp presses?

Build yourself an induction annealer like this one.
I saw this a couple months ago and it definitely got me thinking. Still am I guess Ha.

OP I’ll add, what and how much of it are you going to anneal? Multiple calibers with multiple head stamps, maybe the amp would be easier.

Lots of guys in my state will anneal for you, however many don’t really advertise and mainly do it for other match shooters. I’d check with whatever group or range hosts matches in your area.

I chose the amp because I wanted consistent results, with minimal farting around. I can be up in running in no time with new different kinds of brass, and I can do it in the comfort of my home. It took the guess work out of it for me.

Yes I have been thinking about the multi caliber thing. Currently the calibers I think I take the time to anneal: 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 creed.

Realizing much of the other annealing set ups quality are very much hostage to the users precision and repeatability. If you didn't own an AMP would you pay to have your brass done on any thing besides an AMP?

Lawnboi

WKR
@rcalmus
I couldn’t bring myself to sit with a a torch and anneal each piece. I’m shooting a fair bit with matches all summer and have quite a bit of brass to do. The torch machines that are out there caught my eye, but I didn’t like the idea of having to anneal in the garage. I also don’t have to fart around with tempilaq or timing. On top of that I’m loading for friends as well with the ammo crisis and it just seemed like the torch setups would be more wasted time adjusting. I’m sure they work, amp has a lot of reading on various types of annealing and it dosnt seem like rocket Science. Not everyone wants to spend 1400$ on an annealer and that’s okay. If you want the most consistent results it’s hard to argue there is anything better than the amp. I also just got the thing, 1 match in with it and some misc hunting brass.

Main reason also is I wanted an annealer now. I waited for an annie since April and finally said screw it. Amp was in stock, annealez was like 6 weeks out. My match rifle brass was on its 4th firing and my ES went crazy high, from 20s to 75. I could also feel seating differences on my arbor press. A fellow shooter let me use his amp, and my ES went back down where they should be. That and seeing the ease of use sold me.

On top of that I got sick of messing with dies and bushings all the time. Annealing in theory resets the brass so I don’t have to adjust my die due to work hardened brass. Seating pressure definitely feel better with annealed brass. Another plus is hopefully longer brass life. I don’t run the piss out of my volume brass, so if this gets me some more consistent life I’ll take it.

The amp is fricken fast. No messing with setup, you can be annealing within 10 minutes of opening the box. The mark II machines have Aztec mode which fries a piece of brass and gives you the code for that specific head stamp, and lot however far you want to take it.

As I said above, worth 1400$ I don’t know. But when I’m shooting a thousand plus rounds a year at .30 to 1.50 a pop and need consistency, I feel the amp will give me that. I don’t know much about science, but I put my brass in the hole and press start and it’s done….

And to answer your question, had I not purchased an amp, I would have sent my brass to someone local (read as in state as I live in nowhere) to anneal on an amp. Most were charging about what unknown is, but that’s just more messing around cause now I need to ship the stuff. The amp made sense to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunting_Ben