BP Hunt Logistics Question

Okie_Poke

FNG
I cashed in my CO elk points for a Muzzleloader tag this September. I've hunted deer here in OK with a muzzleloader several times, but never done any big hunt with one. Also, I've hunted elk in CO or NM the last five years with a rifle or bow, so I'm not a complete noob to western elk hunting. Still, I'm not exactly an elk hunting prodigy. I'm pretty familiar with the unit, having hunted it four times previously. I just haven't hunted it with a muzzleloader yet.

My question centers on logistical issues specific to muzzleloaders. Primarily, how long can I leave the powder and bullet in the muzzleloader and trust it? I'll be using BH 209 and 300 gran Thor Hammers. I plan to tape the muzzle with electric tape or one of those barrel condoms as I do with a rifle. I would prefer to leave the thing loaded up for all or most of the week, if I can get away with that. But if I get an opportunity on the last day, I want it to go bang. I've heard one can leave them loaded but should store them outside overnight so they don't get condensation in the warm tent.

Relatedly, are there other muzzle-loader specific logistics issues I should be thinking about and planning for? If there is a particularly good article or video or something, please point me to it. I've done some looking but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

This will be a "base camp at the truck and day hunt" style hunt. I'm planning to keep full cleaning gear and basic maintenance tools at camp. Besides a few reloads and the necessities for reloading. What else BP-specific should be in my day pack?

Your experience on this would be much appreciated.

Wow sounds exactly like me, been gun hunting the last 5 years going to due a muzzle loader hunt this year in CO. Look forward to any answers.

I'll be using BH209 and 340 grain ELDX's. Shooting great so far at 50 yards bullets touching) need to go to 100. Hope my old eyes and open sights can still shoot 100+ yards!!!!!

cnelk

WKR
I used a few PPs to get a ML bull elk tag this year.

Im going to make sure my gun goes 'bang' when I want it to, so Ill either shoot it every other day [depending on weather], or unload it, clean it, pop a cap or 2, and reload it again.

If you are using a CVA, be sure to remove the firing pin assembly and clean it, that is a common place that is overlooked. You dont want that firing pin to hang up.

Wrench

WKR
What powder makes a difference. T7 will not take what swiss will in terms of moisture.

Internal barrel condensation is your nemesis. If you have temp swings....pull the bullet or shoot it. You can blow the load with air or co2 to reduce the cleaning. If you do blow the load, take a water bottle and stuff some rags in it, push the load into the bottle....this will show you how much moisture you're dealing with to set a baseline.

Carr5vols

WKR
I cashed in my CO elk points for a Muzzleloader tag this September. I've hunted deer here in OK with a muzzleloader several times, but never done any big hunt with one. Also, I've hunted elk in CO or NM the last five years with a rifle or bow, so I'm not a complete noob to western elk hunting. Still, I'm not exactly an elk hunting prodigy. I'm pretty familiar with the unit, having hunted it four times previously. I just haven't hunted it with a muzzleloader yet.

My question centers on logistical issues specific to muzzleloaders. Primarily, how long can I leave the powder and bullet in the muzzleloader and trust it? I'll be using BH 209 and 300 gran Thor Hammers. I plan to tape the muzzle with electric tape or one of those barrel condoms as I do with a rifle. I would prefer to leave the thing loaded up for all or most of the week, if I can get away with that. But if I get an opportunity on the last day, I want it to go bang. I've heard one can leave them loaded but should store them outside overnight so they don't get condensation in the warm tent.

Relatedly, are there other muzzle-loader specific logistics issues I should be thinking about and planning for? If there is a particularly good article or video or something, please point me to it. I've done some looking but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

This will be a "base camp at the truck and day hunt" style hunt. I'm planning to keep full cleaning gear and basic maintenance tools at camp. Besides a few reloads and the necessities for reloading. What else BP-specific should be in my day pack?

What primers are you using? I use cci 209 magnums I typically leave loaded for a full week unless major weather system moves through..last year left loaded for about 4 weeks between colorado elk and tennessee whitetail..it went boom when it should. As a fyi I had a old knight percussion cap muzzleloader loaded for about 12 years ( neverbused it and forgot it was loaded) and it went off on second cap.

Just my .02

I pretty much run the same powder/ bullet combo you do. If the weather/temps don't vary much during muzzy season, I'll tape the barrel, store the gun outside or in the truck, and only put a new load in every 3-4 days. If it rains I'll shoot out and put a new load the next day. Good point made by CNELK. If you are using a CVA make sure you take apart and clean the firing pin mechanism, otherwise you may get a costly hang fire. It happened to me years ago during an out of state hunt. Cost me a nice deer, too.

Rich M

WKR
If you are worried about having a failure, go ahead and bring a new load for every day. Push it thru, wipe the barrel with a dry patch and reload. Peace of mind pretty much.

OP
Okie_Poke

Okie_Poke

FNG
If you are using a CVA, be sure to remove the firing pin assembly and clean it, that is a common place that is overlooked. You dont want that firing pin to hang up.
Good word here. I haven’t shot it since last year, but I just did this last week as I was inventorying what I have and starting to make plans. I took whole gun apart and cleaned everything just good measure.
I pretty much run the same powder/ bullet combo you do. If the weather/temps don't vary much during muzzy season, I'll tape the barrel, store the gun outside or in the truck, and only put a new load in every 3-4 days. If it rains I'll shoot out and put a new load the next day.
This is kinda what I’m currently thinking.

What primers are you using? I use cci 209 magnums I typically leave loaded for a full week unless major weather system moves through..last year left loaded for about 4 weeks between colorado elk and tennessee whitetail..it went boom when it should. As a fyi I had a old knight percussion cap muzzleloader loaded for about 12 years ( neverbused it and forgot it was loaded) and it went off on second cap.

Just my .02
I have regular CCI shotgun primers. Not using muzzleloader primers with 209.