Boyd's Pro Varmint Opinions & Modifications

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering getting a Boyd's Pro Varmint for a Savage 110 Ultralite I have. Not a fan of the stock that came with it. Has anyone ran the Pro Varmint? Thoughts?

I'm also considering trying to lighten it up in the future. The current thought is to add a slot at the rear that would be hidden by the recoil pad and cut a few inches off the forend. Has anyone done anything similar?

I have a Pro Varmint on a 223. I love it, but it’s heavy. No way I would put it on a gun meant to be lightweight - totally defeats the purpose.

I have a Pro Varmint on a 223. I love it, but it’s heavy. No way I would put it on a gun meant to be lightweight - totally defeats the purpose.
If I got it, it'd be for the rigidity of the forend. The Ultralite stock forend flexes and I'm generally not a fan of it. I bought the Ultralite mainly for the carbon fiber barrel.
The more verticle grip really appeals to me and I'm willing to put for the effort to lighten this stock a little as well as accept the extra ounces.

You can cut the forend shorter, shave it down, hollow the butt, and grip. It’s a great option for the Savage and I like it. Get the colored version, the black is just plywood. The colored is resin impregnated and better.

You can cut the forend shorter, shave it down, hollow the butt, and grip. It’s a great option for the Savage and I like it. Get the colored version, the black is just plywood. The colored is resin impregnated and better.
Would hollowing the grip at all affect the integrity of the stock?

Would hollowing the grip at all affect the integrity of the stock?
I don’t think it would if you didn’t go crazy. I am going to do it to mine this week, I will let you know how it goes. I have one going on a Howa Mini that I have hacked on a bunch and need to drill and sand it out.

I don’t think it would if you didn’t go crazy. I am going to do it to mine this week, I will let you know how it goes. I have one going on a Howa Mini that I have hacked on a bunch and need to drill and sand it out.
How did the stock end up? Thinking of doing the same thing with my mini action.

Back