Bowhunter Orgs why not?

Looking for some feedback from the younger crowd on how to grow membership, and most of all, how to have the young guys come to the annual events.

A couple questions.....

1. Do you like to hang out in person with bowhunters? Or hunters in general?

2. If you had the chance to bring your previous years animals, big or small to an event, would you?

3. In one sentence, how can we, mid age guys active in our state bowhunting orgs get younger guys to attend events, and be active.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
C
It is a state bowhunting organization focused on maintaining and expanding bowhunting opportunties in the state.

There are several shoots each year, with one large gathering mid summer that lasts the weekend. Each spring, there is a banquet with seminars from some industry guys, and normal joes as well. Lastly, dinner and an awards ceremony like P&Y offers where the top 3 animals of each species are recognized.

At one time it was nothing to see 50 or more animals on display over the weekend. Lately, it's really gone down hence the question how could one make it better? How do we get people to participate?

sndmn11

WKR
1) It makes no difference to me if someone is a bow hunter or not, I care first about what kind of person they are.
2) No
3) Make sure they are fun.

I assume you are talking about the CBA. I would attend that banquet, but for the life of me cannot figure out why it is two days long, one of which is a Friday. The Jamboree used to great; one could get anything archery there, get new clothes, generally get all set for the season. I went last year for the first time since Camp Hale, and the best vendor was the tamale lady...and I was a vendor.

Last edited:
This is a problem nation wide. Younger folks do not seem to understand the importance of being a member of their National Org (Pope and Young) or their perspective State Orgs. What they don't realize is that those organizations are the ONLY organizations that will continue to stand up and support their right to bowhunt. If you are reading this, and are a bowhunter that isn't a member of your state organization, I strongly urge you to join. Same with Pope and Young. No organization is perfect, but if you are an active member at least your voice will be heard.

In AK for instance, I would love to go to the Bowhunter Association Banquet but it lines up with a half dozen other banquets. Just to name a few; SCI, RHAK, AKWSF, DU, and ABA are all within about a 6 week span. People need to travel, pay for tickets, pay for childcare, etc. Each time a person goes it runs $300 before even getting in a raffle. And when I do get a rare kid-free date nite, it’s hard to sell my wife on a hunting banquet. So I have to pick one each year out of the many. Maybe if they were spread out, I could do one in early February and another in early April. I would also say that most young people don’t particularly enjoy sitting through 2 hours of auctions they can’t afford to finally get to the raffle items (that’s the part my wife REALLY hates and what keeps her away).

Same schedule issue goes for other events. There was a Roy Roth shoot last year in the heart of the sockeye run in south-central AK. Move that up 2-3 weeks and they probably double the participation. The fly fishing club does a film fundraiser every year in early September and just can’t figure why no one is coming....

With all that said, I’m guilty of not being a member of our local club. And I’ll change that soon

Last edited:
Run hunter education classes. This would depend on where you are. In my state (MD) they are hard to come by.

Some things my local pistol and archery club does:

1) Youth program
2) Have a program where people shoot one night a week (a league). Make it open to the public. Indoor in the winter.
3) Keep your dues reasonable
4) Plan events around tuning up for hunting season

Caveat - the above responses are from an old guy.

OP
C
Antartica,

We currently do a lot of what you mentioned i.e youth drives, dues are $30 a year for the membership, our annual shoot is just prior to hunting season.

@sdmn, Fridays are pretty much BS night. Come buy, drink a few beers etc. Saturday is the main day to attend really.

What you guys think about "Bring your mount" and be entered into a raffle etc in order to get animals on display?

We do have a FB account, but not sure on Instgram. Anyways, I'd still like to hear some suggestions.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Some of us in the 35-50 crowd have had this conversation over and over about this particular organization, to reach the younger crowd I think there needs to be a better social media presence, the print mag is pretty outdated and the younger crowd has no interest in that type of media, so move the stories and pictures and everything to those social media platforms.

I know they've been trying for a while, but more effort needs to be made, to inject some youth into the board, I realize that 20-25 yr olds aren't always the most responsible and reliable, not pointing a finger because I wasn't at that age, but if we can get a couple members on the board in that late 20's to late 30's range I think we'd get a pretty good feel for some of the changes that need to be made, if any. I don't think a lot of the younger guys in the state realize what the organization does for the hunting community as a whole just from the standpoint of dealing with the legislature and parks & wildlife.

The other thing is, and I know it's not the popular opinion, we want to inject youth and fresh ideas into the organization then we need to stop looking down our noses and degrading them based on their choice in headwear, clothing, hairstyles, gym habits, etc etc etc. that seems to be the favorite pastime sometimes. It doesn't do accomplish anything with them other than make them look elsewhere to focus their energy.

Set up at some of the local archery events that aren't hosted by the organization, I've been to several shoots in the last year and haven't seen a booth at any of them. I know there's members at all of them, I know several guys that would be willing to man a booth for a couple hours and talk to people about the benefits of the existence of the organization.

Ever thought about the podcast route? I've maybe heard one once where there was someone on there representing the organization but having someone go on and explain what's going on with legislation and policy especially this time of year would be huge. There's no shortage of the damn things to go on these days. Hell, it's pretty cheap to do a simple one, the organization could have their own.

*These are not single sentence answers and they are largely my own personal opinion*

OP
C
@303 good points and I thought the podcast route too would be beneficial. Paul Navarre was on KC and it was a good exposure.

Membership is key, but I think the banquet needs to get those young faces on stage with their Animals like years gone by. It would also be nice to see them giving seminars. The question and most likely the answer is get some young guys at these events.

I'm actually bringing an Instagram guy to the banquet. I want to get his input on the banquet and I'm listening.

OP
C
Just saw the NE bowhunters banquet display.......... WOW is all I can say. With the species we have in CO, there is no reason we can't do the same once again! Time to reach out to these guys. Well done.

NE.JPG

I dont have the answers you are looking for but when I was in my 20's I was very active in my local clubs and shot tourneys almost every weekend somewhere in the state. By my 30's I was done. I got so tired of how everything having to do with the sport was a D*$% measuring contest. Its was like high school with all the cliques and BS. So, avoid that is my advice.

Look at the division on forums like this. Hunters are our own worst enemy when it comes to actually trying to come together for the good of hunting. We are to busy criticizing or competing with each other.

sndmn11

WKR
Antartica,

We currently do a lot of what you mentioned i.e youth drives, dues are $30 a year for the membership, our annual shoot is just prior to hunting season.

@sdmn, Fridays are pretty much BS night. Come buy, drink a few beers etc. Saturday is the main day to attend really.

What you guys think about "Bring your mount" and be entered into a raffle etc in order to get animals on display?

I think you spelled out exactly why your membership is dwindling, especially with younger folks. When the draw is drink some beer, look at mounts, BS with others....none of that is unique. Why would someone come participate in those things at the same time and place as others?

If you want participation to grow, you have to have a hook.

Regarding the banquet, we donate a wall tent every year, I assume it is raffled or auctioned. For the life of me, I have never been able to find a list of other items available, so that opportunity doesn't attract me. I'm sitting hear actually reading the March-April magazine, and there isn't mention beyond there is an auction. The CBA doesn't have a Governor's type license to auction off at the banquet, somehow Duck's Unlimited has a moose tag though. The "younger generation" doesn't gather in clubs or banquets like past ones have. Rotary, Elks, VFW, all are things that the instant connectivity of the internet is replacing. One of a kind educational seminars from some really good hunters or shooters would be one way to get that done...that isn't live streamed and maybe each participant gets an entry into a raffle.

Regarding general participation, the same principles apply. While there is some altruistic value in regular participation, there has to be more to it than that. Most people think their time and effort is invaluable, so when weighing doing what they need or want to do, versus giving that up to an organization, there has to be some sort of unique incentive. Unfortunately, my ideas on what that tempting nugget is, aren't mainstream.

Just my honest thoughts.

Started an SCI Bowhunting Chapter back in 2008 and learned many lessons along the way.

1. We created the chapter as we strongly believed in the hunting focus of the worldwide organization, but were very frustrated by the very scant support/focus on bowhunting. At first we were razor-focused on bowhunting & archery, and recruiting only bowhunters. This was met with limited success. We anticipated partnering with some of the local bowhunting orgs and getting immediate support. But after some initial “glad-handing“ most just began seeing us as competition for active membership, and to partner - wanted us to sign-on to and adopt their positions on equipment, methods, etc (many were very exclusionary - bowhunters only, no crossbows, etc).

2. We struggled for the first few years and often heard “I’m not a bowhunter” or “I just dabble in bowhunting“ from some great hunters and guys active in other hunting organization. At the time the majority of our members were bowhunters, but most of them also hunted by other methods. The need was to clearly define who we were and what we were trying to do. After some reflection the conclusion was we were primarily hunters who also loved to bowhunt. Instead of pushing folks away who weren’t already pure bowhunters, we welcomed all hunters while promoting Bowhunting/archery. So if you weren’t already a bowhunter but curious about other methods you were welcome. We also didn’t attack crossbows as it is clearly a growing force in the hunting world. We became a truly multiple-method hunting chapter and it has been great.

3. We’ve been very successful by trying to “attract” vs proselytizing positions. We’re very much focused on having fun - a spectacular annual banquet, shoots-bow-clays-etc, “how-to” sessions, picnics, local wingshooting, fresh and saltwater fishing trips, introducing kids to archery, archery in schools, state and local conservation efforts. Folks want to feel welcome and have fun. We’ve developed a great website and next will focus on social media.

Any org that comes across as judgemental, rule-bound, have to prove yourself worthy won’t be attractive to young folks. Fun is! Especially if they can link it to the web/social media.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

WKR
If you are talking about the Colorado Bowhunters Ass well they have made the choice to divide bowhunters at our base and to put it bluntly - it is showing. Every archer I talk with thinks the CBA is broken to the core and wondering if it should even be relevant in today discussions due to their choices bowhunters in colorado are more divided today than ever. Thanks CBA!!!!!!!

Or it is a fact that the CBA choose to flat screw mule deer hunters - after this choice I will never share any mount I get with a CBA convention or will I give them one more single cent.. I am not the only who thinks the extreme "elk only" CBA agenda is doing more harm than good... Well that is unless all your eggs are in the "keep otc elk at all costs" crowd as that is all that matters to the old Ass.

This past year the changes the Colorado Bowhunters Ass alone pushed they CHOOSE to erode the deer hunt down to nothing in favor of their "elk only" members has left a pretty bad taste in a lot of guys mouths. The shut up and take what you are given attitude they display even further divided us. I believe this attitude and extreme agenda has pushed many folks away that would otherwise attend.

Or maybe try and fix what the CBA screwed up instead of trying to boost banquet attendance would be my idea once folks dont feel alienated they may come back. Now a lot of us are feeling alienated from the CBA again because.

1. Thanks to the CBA we now have the worst starting date for high country mule deer of any state. They dont care as I was told by a sitting board member it was what was best for the elk....

2. The later starting dates will inevitably put more hunters in less area it is already incredibly crowded in the high country and to add to this crowding of mule deer hunters into a smaller time frame was seen as a good change by the CBA.. Thanks boys!!

3. Some years archers will have 4, or 5 days to hunt deer before the season is effectively ended by the muzzy and rifle hunters hucking shells 200, 400, 800, 1000 yards across basins at the same animals archery guys are chasing. Is this safe? I say no but the CBA sure feels it is just fine well as long as you are hunting deer it is fine if it were elk no way not cool at all = the good ole CBA!

4. It is a fact that the CBA does not care about changing the deer seasons and choose to tell deer hunters to basically go pound sand.

But hey what ever it takes for our members to feel they have a better shot at a elk right? Screw the deer hunters for the elk hunters right? This is clearly the CBA position.. Or it is clear to me why there is no one at a banquet as all the CBA worries about is elk and a few worn out dudes at a banquet who no longer shoot anything worth hanging on a wall anyway.. I am seeing a pattern emerge here... Until the CBA stop with the extreme "elk only" agenda at all costs many folks including myself will sit out. We saw the bull shit the CBA pushed and have tired of it good luck filling seats..

Oh yea thanks again CBA for totally and completely choosing to screw over the mule deer hunters and eroding the mule deer season down to basically nothing. Again so your boomer membership could have a later week a hunting elk. I hope others see this eroded organization for what it is and stays home from the banquet as well as keeping your money in your pocket book as at this point for a lot of folks the CBA has become totally worthless.

I had a post all typed up bashing the CBA also but realized it doesn’t help.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Have something there to attract people. Get some archery shops to bring demo bows for everyone to try out. Have multiple events throughout the year so the new guys have a better chance of going and enjoying themselves. Annual banquet, spring shoot, summer shoot, late fall brag event.