SS34 Timing conundrum

Zac

WKR
My bottom cam was hitting way ahead. I couldn't seem to put enough twists in the bottom cam in order to retard it. I noticed my ATA was long by a considerable amount. I put something like 4 twists into the top cable and it seems to me that it retarded the bottom cam. I thought retarding one cam automatically advanced the other. It seems as though I retarded the top, and somehow the lower cam retarded as well. Does this make sense to anyone?

That's strange...typically 1/2 to one twist makes a noticeable difference in the timing. Typically it really only impacts the one cam. The fact that the ATA is way off has me concerned that the string and cables are the wrong length. Are they the factory or after market?

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
That's strange...typically 1/2 to one twist makes a noticeable difference in the timing. Typically it really only impacts the one cam. The fact that the ATA is way off has me concerned that the string and cables are the wrong length. Are they the factory or after market?
Threadz

NYSKIER

WKR
When you put them on did you get it to spec? I’m guessing you did? If not first thing you have to do is get to spec and then work to how you want it tuned

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Bad threadz maybe? I tried three different string makers for my old PSE Freak and none of them put it even close to specs when I first put them on. My last set I got tired of all the adjustments and went back to America's Best, and as soon as they were on.....the bow was in spec. Just a couple minor yoke adjustments and was back in tune.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Shop put them on, ATA was off by probably a quarter inch, within an eighth now. I think I’ve got 4 or 5 twists in each cable, coming in at 72 lbs with limb bolts all the way down.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Does the dl measure close?
Haven’t even measured it, feels perfect where it is now. When I moved I got rid of my bow shop so I don’t have a board at the moment. Brace is basically correct, ATA, and poundage are really close as well so I think it should be fine.

Bump79

WKR
Interesting. I just put some Threadz on my bow - initial impressions were very high compared to other manufacturers. My guess - the shop did something a little off when unpackaging them and installing them.

sndmn11

WKR
Haven’t even measured it, feels perfect where it is now. When I moved I got rid of my bow shop so I don’t have a board at the moment. Brace is basically correct, ATA, and poundage are really close as well so I think it should be fine.
I think if you are happy with all those static specs, get the timing close and then go shoot to see what the tuning and score results are. Then make the other cam hit first and compare results. You seem like a competent enough shooter to know what you want the bow to feel like.

I also think that when putting that many twists in at once it takes a good amount of shots for that twist rate to move up through the serving and equalize. Last ditch scenario is to stick a piece of paracord, or a chunk of string leach in the slow cable to effectively shorten it a 1/4 twist.

NYSKIER

WKR
Shop put them on, ATA was off by probably a quarter inch, within an eighth now. I think I’ve got 4 or 5 twists in each cable, coming in at 72 lbs with limb bolts all the way down.
I feel like a lot of custom makers are off slightly to spec. That happened to me with my GAS but they turned out fine

I have had to return custom strings/cables multiple times. Always measure them before taking old ones off now. My last set was a fuzz too long and had this exact same issue.

MattB

WKR
Easy enough to make a mark on the riser that is even with the grip fore/aft and then come to full draw and have someone mark the arrow shaft in line with that mark. Measure that distance and add 1 3/4”.