Bow string

sshin1980

FNG
I heard from a bow shop that Hoyt stock strings are better than other companies. Any thoughts? Is it recommended to replace strings on a new bow regardless?

bsnedeker

WKR
Whenever I buy a new bow I always put new strings on them these days. I have used the Hoyt factory strings and I had no issues with them at all...tuned up well and held a tune after shooting about 200 arrows through it first.

The main reason I put new strings on right away these days is more so I will have the factory strings as emergency backup strings in case something goes wrong on a hunt. I use Ghost strings personally, but lots of good options out there...or just go with factory. You'll be fine either way.

Same as above. Hoyt strings are decent as well as PSE live wire but it all depends on who’s building them that day. Just inconsistent. The other thing is that Hoyt uses larger diameter center serving and x nocks are always tight.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve been shooting my RX4 since new, that bow has been soaking wet for hours on end, dragged through brush, dirt, mud and shot thousands of times. The powder coat is worn off of my peep, the center servings been replaced twice and the string is just ugly now. I decided to replace the strings so I went to measure everything and see where I was out.

The strings did not move since bareshaft tuning in spring of 2020, still pulls 72.9lbs, started at 73 prior to BS tuning so I may have changed slightly when tuning. BH, ATA are the same and zero peep rotation. I did order custom strings from Tom Parkinson last week which I’ve had in the past and have been great.
I really can’t imagine any string holding up and lasting any better than the factory strings did though.

I had an rx3 ultra, seamed like the strings lasted 2 years with barley any fray or tune creep. Can't say that about zebra...

I put ABB on my mathews this spring.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, Mathews Zebra strings are definitely the worst I’ve used. Tons of creep, unserved loops etc.
seems thats the general consensus. i will say I just threw a set of zebras on my V3x which came with vapor trails. They were ABSOLUTELY horrific. Still stretching after over 500 shots. Serving seperation. Center serving able to slide up and down. I thought I was losing my mind tuning it... It was the aftermarket strings all along. So back on went a set of stock Zebra's for now. Ordered a set from A3 Archery. Hopefully they come soon and are worlds better.

Just saying that not all aftermarket strings are equal, obviously. But even those companies that everyone says are great...are not always

PMcGee

WKR
seems thats the general consensus. i will say I just threw a set of zebras on my V3x which came with vapor trails. They were ABSOLUTELY horrific. Still stretching after over 500 shots. Serving seperation. Center serving able to slide up and down. I thought I was losing my mind tuning it... It was the aftermarket strings all along. So back on went a set of stock Zebra's for now. Ordered a set from A3 Archery. Hopefully they come soon and are worlds better.

Just saying that not all aftermarket strings are equal, obviously. But even those companies that everyone says are great...are not always

Everyone always bashes Zebra strings. I’ve only had one bad set on my Halon. All the others once broken in were fine until I needed a new set. Just started getting some peep twist with my VXR but it’s time for a new set of strings and cables. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had some really bad experiences with some of the expensive mass produced “high end” guys as well. A3 is great - you’ll be happy.

60X have always served me well. I just ordered a set from Archery Shack and used the promo code ATSALE and got them for $61. My friend swears by them and has them on 3 of his bows. I have not received them yet so ???? --JP

VaBruiser

FNG
This is an interesting thread because I spend a lot of time shooting, building my own arrows, investing in quality stuff for my bow, etc., but have never thought to ask my guy at the bow shop what kinda strings he's putting on my bows. When it's time to restring for one reason or another I always walk in, pick my colors, and come back when it's done hahaha

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new VXR 31.5 (sat as a boxed backup for a year) with zebra strings. I have roughly 250 shots through it and my peep has turned almost 3/4 rotation. I took it to my shop, pressed it, got the peep straight and within 30 shots I’m back to twisted. ‘Glad’ it happened in April and not August but looks like I need a new set. I’ve had Vapor Trails on a Hoyt in the past but anyone with strong opinions about the two or three shops who consistently make the best aftermarket options?

I heard from a bow shop that Hoyt stock strings are better than other companies. Any thoughts? Is it recommended to replace strings on a new bow regardless?
Hoyt strings aren’t great. The only factory string that I have ever been impressed with were the factory strings on my Mach 1, I got it late summer in 20’ I believe and custom builders were all backed up so I decided to shoot them for the season and they were excellent… after initially breaking in, no creep, peep twist, serving separation or anything, I changed them the next spring but only to have a good backup, they were still in good shape…. That’s the only outlier for me, mathews being the worst, but the string on my prime isn’t much better, and Hoyt’s have been about the same

I think it’s always a good idea to just put good strings on rather than banking on good luck… I think any mass production string will be inferior to a custom from a good builder like catfish, jbk, rogue, or even ABB

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to a Hoyt podcast and they said they stepped up their string quality. I always put a new sting on, but have buddies that don’t. They havent had any issues. I keep my originals as a backup.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Hoyt strings aren’t great. The only factory string that I have ever been impressed with were the factory strings on my Mach 1, I got it late summer in 20’ I believe and custom builders were all backed up so I decided to shoot them for the season and they were excellent… after initially breaking in, no creep, peep twist, serving separation or anything, I changed them the next spring but only to have a good backup, they were still in good shape…. That’s the only outlier for me, mathews being the worst, but the string on my prime isn’t much better, and Hoyt’s have been about the same

I think it’s always a good idea to just put good strings on rather than banking on good luck… I think any mass production string will be inferior to a custom from a good builder like catfish, jbk, rogue, or even ABB
Is there a reason there’s so much price variability between those listed string makers?

Is there a reason there’s so much price variability between those listed string makers?
I don’t think so, I think ABB are way overpriced, but they have been good strings in my experience, I just ordered 5 sets of them, knowing I could have saved quite a bit of money without compromise, but the shop I use deals with ABB so I try to do what I can to support them so they stick around. I have never heard anything but stellar reviews from catfish, and jbk have been excellent on every bow I have had them on or know about.

Seems like the bigger companies that build good strings are higher priced, the smaller companies are lower, but dollars spent doesn’t equal better strings.

I think the smaller guys use string building as a side hustle, the bigger companies rely on building strings for primary income, but that’s speculation

Look at ordering a set of zebras, they are expensive and not good in general, so it pays to do a little research