Bow somehow dry fired

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
So I was shooting tonight and tuning my broadheads. Made an adjustment nocked an arrow drew back. Unsure if I shot or string exploded before I shot, but my string snapped and my arrow landed at my feet and did not go down range.
2 questions. What damage do I look for on my bow. And what can cause this? Was my nock not seated properly possibly? Never had an issue like this before in my 12 years of archery. My string slapped my hand but no injury luckily. I’m going to tell the local shop to treat it as a straight dry fire. Still unsure how it Happened

Gapmaster

WKR
I would definitely have it checked out. Hopefully there’s no damage, especially this close to season. Newer bows are pretty tough. I’ve never had a string break but I did have a limb bust once. Not fun at all. Felt like a bomb went off in my hand. Did you by chance nick your string with a broad head unknowingly?

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Had basically the same thing happen to me this spring. Best I could figure, the nock broke apart upon release…there was no nock at the end of the carbon when the dust settled. Destroyed one cam, strings and cables and full set of limbs, took 2 months for all the replacement parts to show up, ended up costing $500-something to put it all back together. To this day, I’m pretty confident that I didn’t do anything to deserve it lol.

Obviously have someone look it over (and order new strings ASAP), but I would look for things like bent cams, cracked limbs, etc. That should give you an idea of what parts are needed to get you back up and running.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely have it checked out. Hopefully there’s no damage, especially this close to season. Newer bows are pretty tough. I’ve never had a string break but I did have a limb bust once. Not fun at all. Felt like a bomb went off in my hand. Did you by chance nick your string with a broad head unknowingly?
I had the hamskea string level on my string a couple times last night checking some stuff. Don’t know if I could have possibly nicked it with that clamping it too hard maybe? Idk

I just reread your story. If the string decided to snap on you, that's a way better scenario than a dryfire. You may have lucked out and will be OK with new strings/cables.

How do you load your arrows? My first coach/mentor would tell me to either load from the side or front to back to keep the business end as far away from my strings as possible.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
My cables stayed on the bow but my string is what snapped. Right by the peep sight. Regardless I want to treat as a dry fire for safety purposes

nphunter

WKR
I would bet that the dry fire caused the snapped string, especially at the peep, which is the heaviest thing tied on the string and some are kind of sharp on the edges.

I had a nock break at a 3D shoot a few years back, dry fired the bow and the peep shot out of the string, I checked it over really well and finished the shoot without a peep. We checked out the axles, and nothing was bent, the only issue was a few cut strands on the string from the peep flying out, it was a week before the season so I tied in a new peep and hunted with the bow for a couple more years. I did end up replacing just the string that winter but nothing else was damaged.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I would bet that the dry fire caused the snapped string, especially at the peep, which is the heaviest thing tied on the string and some are kind of sharp on the edges.

I had a nock break at a 3D shoot a few years back, dry fired the bow and the peep shot out of the string, I checked it over really well and finished the shoot without a peep. We checked out the axles, and nothing was bent, the only issue was a few cut strands on the string from the peep flying out, it was a week before the season so I tied in a new peep and hunted with the bow for a couple more years. I did end up replacing just the string that winter but nothing else was damaged.
Yeah from all the different threads and stuff I’ve read on internet the bow was a dry fire. Nock must be damaged or something. I’m going to check them all out prior to shooting my arrows. Getting bow looked at today. Season opens Saturday, so hoping the only damage is string. Otherwise I’m using my backup bow

svivian

WKR
I actually just had something similar happen to me. I was bareshaft tuning and had just gotten to 40 yards back. Nocked up a bareshaft and on the release string derailed. Found the arrow and the nock was broken on one side.... First time that has ever happened to me and now i check shaft and knocks when arrows hit eachother....

I’ve had that happen and it was a broken nock! Check your nocks if you think you may have slapped shafts down range