Bourbon

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
.......What?"

Alcohol is full of purines. Purines cause gout to act up!
If you've never had a case of gout, you've never experienced pain!
Between kidney stones and gout, I'm not sure which is worse.....and I've experienced SEVERAL broken bones!

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
another vote for Evan Williams white label BIB as a huge value and Wild Turkey Rare Breed as an excellent choice

pirogue

WKR
Have any of you had a "gout attack"?

My go to "usta" be "Black Jack", though I was never really into the "hard stuff". I was always a beer and ale man.

About 3 years ago, wifey and me were out doing our "first of the month" running and chores.
"Hey," I said, "Let's go to Rib Crib and have some BBQ!"
Since the day was over and she had her license, I decided I'd have a beer.
The next day, I headed out to the mailbox, about 100 yards away. By the time I got there, my right ankle was killing me! 😫
For a minute, I didn't think I was going to make it back to the house. I could hardly put weight on my right foot!
About dark, I told Sweetie Pie, take me to an ER, I can't stand this. The pain was unrelenting and severe!
Diagnosis?
Yep! GOUT!

Promised myself, as much as I like beer with my BBQ, THAT will never happen again!
January 1st, I woke up with a rock, and not just a pebble, a freakin' ROCK in my left shoe. The longer I waited, the worse the pain got. I'm thinking "stress fracture" in my left foot.
Finally got an X-ray. No breaks!
GOUT!!!! AGAIN!!!!

This time, there was no "beer & bbq" to blame it on!

Guys, alcohol, especially beer, is on top of the "gout trigger" chart....along with any red meat! Beef or especially wild game and waterfowl!

I'll drink a little fruit wine occasionally. No grain alcohol!!!!
I’ve had a couple bouts in the last 3-5 years, and never had one in my life before reaching 65 years old. So with that said( first hand experience), and researching, it usually takes more than alcohol. Like red meat. And red wine is worse than beer or booze. I’ve always been a big consumer of my homemade game jerky, and wine, And the writing was on the wall when my first bout hit. Now, if I go on a trip, I just take along a prescription of Colchinine just in case another bout surfaces. But like the doctor told me, some people only have one bout in thier life. Just skip a night every now and then of the wine, cheese, and elk jerky. 😂

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
Big Horn, Eagle Rare, Angels Envy, followed by Buffalo Trace, Bullet, Wild Turkey, a steakhouse in my area has a special blend of Knob Creek 120 proof. Its real tasty!

Drenalin

WKR
Lots of good choices in this thread. My standard is Bulleit 10, it is good for most uses. Surprised we haven't had Oceans suggested. Another one to look for is Leopold bros.
Somebody gifted me a bottle of Oceans this past summer, but I must not have a sophisticated enough pallet. It was okay, but I probably wouldn’t buy it with my own money. Same for Bulleit. But again, that’s just my tastes, I’m not bashing on either.

I don’t like Jack either 🤷

Travis907

WKR
First off, great thread!!!

My current daily sippers include Buffalo Trace,Old Elk, Four Rose’s small batch, Bulleit, 1792, Woodford, Angels Envy, Smoke Wagon and Weller Reserve.

On my shelf for special occasions or currently unopened include Stagg, EH Taylor, Blantons.

After reading this post I went out and bought Blade and Bow and also Redwood Empire Pipe Dream to try!

Lots of good selections
For those who like a bourbon over 100 proof
Blue note SB uncut store pick 116.7 or 122.5
Benchmark full proof 125 ( BT product )
Both are great pours under $45

A local store around me put out 3 cases of EHT small batch $72 tag. Hate to admit it but that is a good price now.
Also had ER SB 10 yr store pick $50

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Can you pick a single favorite out of that collection?
I’m a big fan of Buffalo Trace as a whole, meaning under their umbrella … Pappy, Weller Brands, E.H. Taylor, Blanton’s, Eagle Rate, etc. (many more). I really like Rock Hill Farms as good as any, and then Pappy 15 year outta all the Pappy’s.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpeg
    IMG_1658.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 24
My go to daily is Old Forester single barrels. Yum.
Always have a bunch of them open. Plus a couple of the single barrel ryes.
Bookers for a change of pace and Stagg jrs as supply allows.

My favorite bourbon this year was the George T Stagg…wow…best release in a while in my opinion. 135 drinks like 105. So much going on. Unfortunately only found one and its getting drained too fast.

Favorite finished was the Penelope Rio…have one bottle left unopened of batch 1. Not popping until I make sure the release in 24 is as good.

Favorite rye was Redwood Empire emerald giant cask strength…Thomas Handy was really good this year but drinks at its proof point. I’ll go back to it in a few weeks and it will probably settle in nicely.

A buddy of mine just sent me this. Eagle Rare 10 year barrel select on sale at our local 3 Bears for $23.09/bottle. Looks like I’ll be paying 3 Bears a visit on my way home from work this evening.
f48ea43c32a154e189028ba9d531ced3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
A buddy of mine just sent me this. Eagle Rare 10 year barrel select on sale at our local 3 Bears for $23.09/bottle. Looks like I’ll be paying 3 Bears a visit on my way home from work this evening.

Is that a 375?

Is that a 375?

Yeah, I didn’t realize that until I went by there after work last night, but they were sold out anyway. They had quite a few cases and only allowed one bottle per customer, but the guy said they sold out within a couple hours. Still a pretty good deal though.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah, I didn’t realize that until I went by there after work last night, but they were sold out anyway. They had quite a few cases and only allowed one bottle per customer, but the guy said they sold out within a couple hours. Still a pretty good deal though.

Definitely

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

I’d buy as many cases as they had and call it good. I could be happy with that the rest of my days.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Those 375s are good for backpack hunts 😂

I didn’t realize they were babies but still a good deal and a really good bottle.

Article 4

WKR
If I am going to mix, I generally like Knob Creek Small Batch 12 or Angels Envy
If I am just drinking bourbon, I tend to enjoy Whistle Pig 18 and EH Taylor Single or maybe if I am digging deep I keep a careful eye on my Bookers and Old Fitz 9 yr- no water. Fish make love in it.