Bought my first pack

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
That's right, I asked around, and found a deal to suit my college kid budget. And since I'm in a duck blind right now waiting for sunup, I think I'll write up what I have so far.

Also considering that I'm going on a hunt for whitetail and Nilgai next week that I drew for in South Texas, I figured I better get something to use in case I'm successful next week.

So looking on Craigslist, I managed to find a "slightly used" Kelty Trekker 3950.
336f6491a9b04aa49697ecc9bf589525.jpg

Notice I added the weaved Paracord to the bottom... Well I realized that since the pack has no shelf, I decided to maybe try.

Once I got the base Paracord weaved on there, I added some more with larkspur knots
50ddb5d44a28c76f1d59c3f5897fda1f.jpg

After that I tied them into knots in a line
86591c7fc0bc57a6cd6322bf6dd3c3f4.jpg
after that I kept doing the same for a few rows
76acb856604794b38f027812e2e7161f.jpg

Now you may see where I'm going with this :) I kept going until I hit the end
ea6c819e9978fa727e1b957380cbfa86.jpg

About that point I was feeling sleepy, and didn't want to fight it considering I needed to be awake much before dawn to chase web footed birds so I called it a night.

The plan now is to weave some kind of lanyard style rope to fasten it to the frame on the top, and keep it adjustable so it's tight. With this way I'm hoping to have a lightweight way to haul out deer quarters and maybe some gear. The cool thing is that the pack only cost me 50 bucks, the Paracord only 5, so if this doesn't work, it's not too big of a deal. Any input will be appreciated and I'll keep you updated as I go.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that's pretty intuitive. I may have to steal that idea from you for some other applications. I play around with paracord a bit but I've never made a net like that. I've got a nice bag of buckles so I might have to try some kind of cargo net set-up with that technique.

I've toy'd around with getting a Kelty Cache Hauler(frame only), similar to what you've got, as an inexpensive dedicated heavy hauler. I've got big hauling packs but I could strap a smaller pack to the Kelty to detach later much easier, and it's got a nice load chair.

Well done on the home made netting, and on your attitude to get out there with whatever equipment the budget allows!

I haven't seen much talk about Kelty packs on here. I have one as does my hunting partner and we both like them very well! They make (or made?) a bonafide hunting pack called the Cache Hauler. I don't see it on their website now but I bought mine like 2 years ago. The pack comes off the frame with 2 pins and 2 velcro straps. Beneath that are wings that come in from either side and a folding platform at the bottom. It does require some additional straps or cord to tightly secure meat bags to the frame. I've packed out a couple elk with it and done some scouting and family backpacking in the summer with it. It's a good pack for the money I think, which was if I remember right somewhere in the $200 range for the frame and bag. It even has a blaze orange rain cover that comes with it! Here it is loaded up for a muzzleloader hunt and another with the pack off and meat strapped on the frame.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Well done on the home made netting, and on your attitude to get out there with whatever equipment the budget allows!

I haven't seen much talk about Kelty packs on here. I have one as does my hunting partner and we both like them very well! They make (or made?) a bonafide hunting pack called the Cache Hauler. I don't see it on their website now but I bought mine like 2 years ago. The pack comes off the frame with 2 pins and 2 velcro straps. Beneath that are wings that come in from either side and a folding platform at the bottom. It does require some additional straps or cord to tightly secure meat bags to the frame. I've packed out a couple elk with it and done some scouting and family backpacking in the summer with it. It's a good pack for the money I think, which was if I remember right somewhere in the $200 range for the frame and bag. It even has a blaze orange rain cover that comes with it! Here it is loaded up for a muzzleloader hunt and another with the pack off and meat strapped on the frame.

I mentioned the Cache Hauler in the second post. I handled one at a Sportsmans Warehouse a couple years ago and always thought it would be a great load hauler. I think they can still be had via internet for $130 frame only. No more meat than I haul, it would be a good way to go vs spending a knot on a Kifaru Duplex that I could only use to it's capacity once or twice a year. I've been really close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

CorbLand

WKR
You can still get the cache hauler. Sportsmans Warehouse carries them. It is the frame only.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelty has been moving away from that stuff. Since they and slumberjack are mutually owned.