Bought a yeti

Was on a bike ride sat. am and stopped at my favorite western clothing store in hilliard,fl a yeti dealer. Was eyeballing the roadie and listened to the little cuties sales pitch. Just cant make myself put out 250 for a 20 qt. cooler. At the checkout counter was a display of yeti rambler 20 and 30 oz..bought both as needed a good road trip sippie cup.. Loaded the 20 up with ice ,water and a squirt of mio after arriving home. Was impressed it did not sweat or get cold on the outside. Reloaded it with ice around 6 and placed it in bedroom for an experiment on ice keeping. The next day at noon at least three fourths of the ice was left. Convinced me. Downsides are no lid for the sippie hole and no rubber anti skid on the bottom, come on yeti. Will this work with hot coffee? Not for me as usually have piping hot to start and this thing will not be drinkable for hours. Reminds me more of a vacume bottle for the hot stuff.

Colberjs

WKR
I can't make myself shell out the big bucks for a Yeti cooler either. Especially since there are other products that are supposed to be just as good at a cheaper price point.

But I did buy the Colster can koozie. That thing is pretty amazing as well.

brewer427

WKR
Yes they are expensive. Yes there are others. But Yeti was the first to really kick things off and I have had a 75 for over 5 years now and that thing has been abused. It goes in my boat every time I'm floating on rivers, in the back of my truck while scouting/hunting and in my work vehicle several times a month and it keeps ice just as good as the day I bought it.

There has been stout beer left in there over a hot summer weekend that had broke open, resulting in a site and smell that I can only describe as what looked like somebody threw up, then took the most disgusting crap right on top of it and let it sit in a enclosed trailer over a 100 degree weekend. A little bleach and a weeks worth of coffee grounds cleared it right up. It has also fallen out of the back of my truck doing 60mph, because I was a DA and forgot the tailgate. Sure it has a couple scratches and a gouge or two, but nothing that has compromised the cooler.

I added a 125 to my collection 3 years ago and a hooper 30 this year and so far they have performed flawlessly with the same ice retention capability. I have also been running a rambler 20 since they came out and have put coffee, tea, smoothies, beer and scotch in it with absolutely no cross contamination in taste or looks. I'm willing to put up a little extra money if the product is going to last me potentially a decade or more.

If it makes it 10 years and I don't see why it won't, I will have paid $50 dollars per year. That is a pretty damn good product IMO. Just my 2cents...

Trial153

WKR
I have the 45, 105 and the 110. I don't regret buying them in the least. They have held up to everything I can throw at them, something that I haven't experienced with other coolers. Buy once cry once, just one less thing to replace or worry about.

kodiakfly

WKR
I have a 45, 65 and 125, each with their own use and function. For as much as I fish and how I use them...they're worth it.

nsedillo

FNG
I thought you bought a yeti, not a cup... Anyway, the COOLER is, use whatever word in your vocabulary to describe the real deal. As brewer427 mentioned measure it in years not in a lump sum. I have buddies who have burned thru coolers in the two years since I bought my yeti.

Side note... Grizzly makes an awesome product, should be considered when purchasing rotomolded coolers. There is also another brand called orca; however, overpriced imo. And rotomolded float, sunk a boat this spring, and my fully loaded yeti made it back to shore.

Last edited:
If it makes it 10 years and I don't see why it won't, I will have paid $50 dollars per year. That is a pretty damn good product IMO. Just my 2cents...

Haven't bought one myself yet, but strongly considering it. One other justification that is pushing me over the edge that really depends on how much you use it is the ice retention. If you start to add up all of your ice run trips to town and such it might eat into that $50 a year and almost pay for itself. If you're like me and have to either hop in the truck and head to town or overpay for ice at the marina it really starts to add up when camping at the lake.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Putting the 65 to the test as we speak. Supposed to be around 80 degrees for the next few days so i guess we will see how long it will hold.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
My four adult daughters went together and bought me a Yeti Tundra 45 for Fathers Day a few years ago.
They knew I wasn't going to pay for one.
It's perfect for me. It's not so big I can't move it myself without straining something.
Those big ones are almost permanent truck fixtures.

ohoopee

WKR
I have several. My least favorite is the large yeti hopper. The opening has to be held open to fill with ice or to look inside to find something.

brewer427

WKR
I have several. My least favorite is the large yeti hopper. The opening has to be held open to fill with ice or to look inside to find something.
mine was like that at first but once you get it broke in that goes away. At least it did for me.

Grizzly might beat yeti for ice retention but YETI beats Grizzly for customer service.

I have both an Grizzly is my favorite. I ordered mine through grizzly and had zero issues. Had to get a latch after a dog issue, zero issues.

Haven't bought one myself yet, but strongly considering it. One other justification that is pushing me over the edge that really depends on how much you use it is the ice retention. If you start to add up all of your ice run trips to town and such it might eat into that $50 a year and almost pay for itself. If you're like me and have to either hop in the truck and head to town or overpay for ice at the marina it really starts to add up when camping at the lake.

The ice retention is really just a bonus. Not breaking when dropped, no more busted latches, no more having to cut ratchet straps to fix hinges, no more cracked bottoms from dropping ice bags, no more caved in top from people setting on them in the boat....that's my biggest reasoning..I was going threw a 120qt igloo a year some time 2.

Terrapin

WKR
I forgot how much I paid for my yeti's years ago. I'm sure it hurt, but they still look like new... okay, they have some battle scars. They bounce around in the back of trucks and boats most days. I have the roadie and a 65, great combo. If your worried about the price, take a day off hunting in the middle of a fifteen day hunt and drive 50 miles to go buy ice... that costs more.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm doing a side by side comparison of 7 different coolers. Be on the lookout here at Rokslide for the material.

Dammlm

FNG
Have a Pelican. No rubber latches. Huge drain and solid hinge. I haven't done a side by side test but others have on YouTube and it barely beats a yeti. Way cheaper too!

bobhunts

WKR
Drhosepower I would like to see your results. I have two Grizzly 60 coolers and the guy I used to bowhunt with had a Yeti. I do not see a very big difference in ice retention over a standard cooler. But they are way more durable. As with any cooler if you pre cool it the stuff will stay cold longer. Do some you tube looks. They really are not as good as the price as far as keeping stuff cold but they will last you a very long time and you will never have to replace hinges again. Just what I have seen using mine. Maybe you can show me a difference?