Boston to Wyoming - 2016

204guy

WKR
Great story and pics. Way to get after it and get it done. That pic of boiling the skullplate in your kitchen is awesome.

Great story and fantastic pictures. Love the antlers in the kitchen as well. No way a married man could pull that off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed the read!

Thanks for sharing. See any grizz? Is that Adirondack a 308win? How do you like it?

I did not see any grizz, nor black bears. The mule deer hunters I mentioned said they saw a couple nice black bears, and I saw some bear crap, but that was about it.

The Adirondack is a .308, and I love it. Have a complete thread on it here:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/firearms/49104-kimber-adirondack-308-a.html

Breath-taking photos. Thanks for sharing. Two questions: What elevation were you hunting at with your spike camp? Also, was it windy where you were in Wyoming? That's all I ever hear about that state! The landscapes make me want to give the state a try!!!

Base camp was ~6000'. Spike Camp was ~7000'. Highest I made it was just over 9000'. It wasn't all that windy, but I will say the one thing that surprised me was that I spotted no Elk by glassing from a distance. Almost all the action was in the thick stuff, and there were areas that were every bit as thick, if not thicker, than the area I hunted in western Montana.

Great story and fantastic pictures. Love the antlers in the kitchen as well. No way a married man could pull that off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have to be very careful timing my skull boils in her kitchen. If she were to walk in with that in progress - I might not live through it :D

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Also - got this question so wanted to just answer here:

so starting out a few years ago on your first trip, did you just look at some maps, pick a trailhead and go to an OTC or high draw odds area?
how did you get started, if you don't mind me asking.

My first trip was Montana, OTC / Surplus tag in 2014 - and I was into more Elk and had more opportunities that year than in 2015 or this year in Wyoming. I'm sure there was some luck involved picking the area, but I used a combination of forums, magazines, Montana FW&P website, conversations with biologists, and a whole heck of a lot of time on Google Earth. At the end of the day - I think people can overthink the area sometimes. I think it's more important to commit to going, do your research how to hunt an area, and have backup plans because even in my limited experience, I've witnessed two different areas be very hot, and then alternately completely shut down where I couldn't buy an elk...

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Breda great write up, love the pictures. How many days did you allocate for your round trip?

wyosteve

WKR
You must have a very accomodating wife or no wife to be boiling the skull in the kitchen!! Good job.

Steel4sam

FNG
Awesome post and awesome trip! I can't believe you are boiling that head inside! My wife would kill me! Great work man!

pbcarch

WKR
Brendan,
great write up.. the account and pictures telling the whole story were very well done. The country out west just simply amazes me.
Paul

njdoxie

WKR
Nice pics and story, enjoyed the read, need more of these to get through the next 9 months.

rodney482

WKR
That was excellent! Nice write up
I just did a 3200 mile trip by myself to New Mexico for a muley