Born Primitive Quiver- First Thoughts + Ongoing Review

JStol5

WKR
Hey all, i bought a Born Primitive Quiver during their Black Friday event, and wanted to give some initial thoughts and ongoing feedback for those who might be interested. I got this at what I would consider a great price for a grid fleece midlayer compared to some other brands out there- the Quiver was $62 or so with the sale. I’ve been looking for something like this for a while for hunting and wearing around town/training while cold. I primarily hunt California and Arizona, all year round. Will be using this as an outer layer and midlayer, depending on temperatures. Received it today.

Initial thoughts:

1) extremely lightweight. I was shocked at how thin/light it is. I like the weight but am curious to see how it will impact warmth. Packs up very small.

2). The sizing is good- I’m 5’11, 190lb, athletic build and typically a size large with big shoulders and arms (humble brag). The Quiver in a large fits well. The arms have a perfect amount of slack in them, and the material is stretchy. Not constricting in the armpits, arms, or shoulders at all. I was very pleased with this, as I often have trouble with athletic clothes being too tight in my pits. The bottom of the hoodie sits halfway down my butt, which I really like. My tops tend to ride up under a pack so I like having a slightly longer tail. Not too short or too long. All sizing considerations said, I probably could have fit a large or an XL, but the XL probably would have been too baggy in the sleeves and at the bottom.

3) the hood is excellent- not too big or too small. Fits over a hat quite well, and stays out of your way when you don’t need it. Doesn’t restrict head movement at all.

4) the thumb holes are fantastic. Well reinforced and I don’t see them tearing/wearing down. The top of the sleeve extends well down my hand to the knuckles and down my palms a little. This is one of my favorite aspects of the Quiver. I really think this will help hand warmth.

5) the material is very quiet, and the finish is excellent.

6) my only gripe at the moment- the neck, when zipped all the way up, is somewhat constricting. I don’t have that beefy of a neck, but I could see this being a problem if you have a bigger neck. I’m not sure how functional this is- I’ll likely just run the zipper a little lower. Also, I do wish it had a kangaroo pocket. I’ve grown accustomed to them. But I understand why they didn’t for weight reasons, etc.

Thus far, I’m impressed with the hoodie given the price. That being said, I’ve really only tested the fit and finish. Taking it out this weekend hunting (low 50s and rain forecasted), wearing it with a base layer, a puffy for glassing, and a rain jacket. I hunt spot and stalk and I’m looking forward to see how it deals with durability and temperature rise on the move. I’m very cold when stationary but heat up QUICK when I move with gear. Let me know if I can help in any way with questions.

Last edited:

brandr67

FNG
Thanks for writing up this review. I hadn't heard of them before and a few of their items are pretty intriguing. Their Ridgeline Heavy Baselayer Top looks pretty nice. I might have to snag one and try it as a late season base.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Update 12/12- took it out hunting this weekend. Conditions were 40s in the morning, up to high 60s in the middle of the day. I never took the Quiver off the entire day. I glassed with a synthetic base layer, the quiver, and a puffy in 40 degree windy weather and was definitely warm enough. Still amazed at the warmth to weight ratio.

Once I got moving on some deer, I took the puffy off and busted through a lot of thick brush and crawling for hours. The Quiver held up extremely well. No rips or tears through some thick sh*t. Kept the hood up and it wasn’t restrictive at all for head movement, even with a hat. Again, the Quiver is extremely quiet. Dumps heat very well, too. Once I finished a couple stalks (unsuccessfully), I sat down and just unzipped the front and took the hood off. I cooled off pretty quick.

Overall, I’m very impressed with the piece. Like I said in the previous post, I do wish it had a kangaroo pocket. I’m tempted to pick another one up in a different solid (if they had a gray or black one I would).

Taking it skiing in January, looking forward to seeing how it performs.