Born Primitive Frontier Light Pants Review

BP was running a 20% off sale a week or so ago. Since my favorite Prana Zions have been "re-imagined" and the new version is terrible, I'm on the search for a new go-to pair of pants for early season archery hunting.

Bottom line: these are a massive disappointment overall and not worth the asking price.

The good: pocket layout is well thought out. Fabric seems more breathable than the Zions (think of KUIU Tiberon) and would probably make for an awesome summer scouting and early season pant.

The bad: The fit on these is absolutely terrible. They fit OK in the waist and are true to size (I wear 34 jeans and got a 34), but the taper (or lack thereof) in the legs is weird. They flare out in the hips, as if they are built for a pear shaped woman with a fat old booty. Its not like I have skinny legs either, but I probably have 2-3'' extra fabric around the legs. While the fabric is decently quiet (about the same as a Prana Zion), the bagginess leads to a very loud swish-swoosh as I walk. Like I said, I don't have skinny legs, and these are going to feel like 90's JNCO Jeans on anyone with an average to skinny build. If you're a meathead, maybe they'll fit properly.

I want the record to show I like BP and have bought my wife several pairs of leggings, but will be steering clear of their outdoor line. I'm not sure why they decided to make their pants like this when other companies like SG are going to a more tapered/tailored fit to cut down on fabric rubbing noise.

Then there's the cost... when Prana was making the OG Zions, I could get two pairs for one pair of these BP pants (maybe the extra fabric costs that much more?). As a result, my recommendation would be to steer clear until they drop the price by 40-50% and rethink the fit.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
All of the born primitive stuff I’ve seen has been absolute trash. It’s too bad, it would have been cool if there was another legit option out there but this isn’t it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have heard the new Prana are no good, but what exactly changed? I have like 5 pair of the original and wear them daily!

was kind of baffled they did an early season plant without hipzips. especially for that price. I picked up a sentry hoodie for black friday sale but returned it, it was decent but just a really fancy hoody. it didnt really pack up small, it didnt have dwr, wasnt sure it would stop the wind, it didnt really have a place in my kit. their grid fleece is prob the best value

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Man I hate to hear this cause I was eyeballing them. I've got a set of the heavy weights in the same size and LOVE them. Like I literally can't find anything bad to say about them.

sr80

WKR
maybe they were hoping the collaboration with a certain someone would boost their sales/popularity vs actually making quality gear?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
maybe they were hoping the collaboration with a certain someone would boost their sales/popularity vs actually making quality gear?
I guess that if wearing the same clothes as a guy who works for a backpack company is what you want, then more power to you.

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the tundra light jacket when they had the 30% off for Black Friday. To say the least i’m not impressed. It’s a $60 jacket at best. I already have two holes in the bottom of the sleeves, and no I’m not busting brush with it, just typical wear out and about. The fit in the shoulders is awkward as well, tighter than I’d like. Even with the 30% off I don’t think it was worth it.

sndmn11

WKR
BP was running a 20% off sale a week or so ago. Since my favorite Prana Zions have been "re-imagined" and the new version is terrible, I'm on the search for a new go-to pair of pants for early season archery hunting.

Bottom line: these are a massive disappointment overall and not worth the asking price.

The good: pocket layout is well thought out. Fabric seems more breathable than the Zions (think of KUIU Tiberon) and would probably make for an awesome summer scouting and early season pant.

The bad: The fit on these is absolutely terrible. They fit OK in the waist and are true to size (I wear 34 jeans and got a 34), but the taper (or lack thereof) in the legs is weird. They flare out in the hips, as if they are built for a pear shaped woman with a fat old booty. Its not like I have skinny legs either, but I probably have 2-3'' extra fabric around the legs. While the fabric is decently quiet (about the same as a Prana Zion), the bagginess leads to a very loud swish-swoosh as I walk. Like I said, I don't have skinny legs, and these are going to feel like 90's JNCO Jeans on anyone with an average to skinny build. If you're a meathead, maybe they'll fit properly.

I want the record to show I like BP and have bought my wife several pairs of leggings, but will be steering clear of their outdoor line. I'm not sure why they decided to make their pants like this when other companies like SG are going to a more tapered/tailored fit to cut down on fabric rubbing noise.

Then there's the cost... when Prana was making the OG Zions, I could get two pairs for one pair of these BP pants (maybe the extra fabric costs that much more?). As a result, my recommendation would be to steer clear until they drop the price by 40-50% and rethink the fit.

I didn't read past your "Bottom line" sentence.

I tried some on at WHCE and the thigh fit was really bad; restrictive, binding, I even tried on a second pair thinking the first was mislabeled. I couldn't start to raise my knee up like I was stepping up one stair without the material in the thigh restricting that motion. Th East was fine.

I don't know what you are searching for in a pant, but these are outstanding, a better material, USA made, and only lacking side zips. They also have Multicam for a little bit more dollars.

OG prana’s are coming back this year. I love OG prana fit and fabric but hate the thigh pocket. it get caught on stabs all the time.

disappointing to hear on the BP pants

sneaky

"DADDY"

Prana heard the complaints on their Zions and went back to the old style

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk