Bore brushes…….or not?

WKR
I’ve always used bore brushes. Bronze and nylon. Was taught to follow the old rule about one pass with the brush per round fired (real scientific, huh?). Also used bore snakes on occasion. Results have been good, but thinking about going to just solvent and patches.

My thoughts on this have been influenced by some service rifle and high power shooters, specifically books by Jim Owens USMC, Retired.

Anyone abandoned bore brushing? Entirely? Or for the most part?

Understand, I’m not asking if brushing is harmful. Apparently, it’s not. Especially nylon. I’m just wondering how many think brushing is unnecessary and have great results without it.

Last edited:
Had a weatherby 300 and 6.5prc for 6 years.

My clean procedure is same for both.

Hoppes copper remover on nylon brush at about 30 passes. Rag it. Clean more if necessary.

Hit it with light coat of oil. I use cooper bullets so they foul like crazy. Hence why I use the heavier copper cleaner.

asilmas

FNG
I’ve always used bore brushes. Bronze and nylon. Was taught to follow the old rule about one pass with the brush per round fired (real scientific, huh?). Also used bore snakes on occasion. Results have been good, but thinking about going to just solvent and patches.

My thoughts on this have been influenced by some service rifle and high power shooters, specifically books by Jim Owens USMC, Retired.

Understand, I’m not asking if brushing is harmful. Apparently, it’s not. Especially nylon. I’m just wondering how many think brushing is unnecessary and have great results without it.

I use bore brushes on my pistol and all of our bolt action rifles. Never had any issues.

rayporter

WKR
many years ago i tried a barrel for a year with out brushing. it did not last any longer than one that was brushed after every 15 shots. if i remember i got 1800 rds out of it. about normal before one gets retired and another screwed on.

for your caliber and bullets get a bore scope to see what happens in your barrel. a teslong is cheap.

Poser

WKR
I've always cleaned guns with bore brushes because that's the way most of us were taught, however, I've heard enough convincing evidence that its entirely unnecessary, that modern ammunition is noncorrosive etc that I'm probably going to just move away from barrel cleaning. There is an episode of the RokCast where they are talking about shooting 50,000+ rounds a year without cleaning a bore. And, while maintaining a meticulously clean barrel is gospel in the military, there's no shortage of ex military guys who have also moved away from using rods to clean barrels.

Now, if you are talking muzzleloaders, its a whole different beast.