Boots for 4 year old boy - deer hunting

Moserkr

WKR
Looking for some recommendations on boots to buy or stay away from - something waterproof preferably. I have pretty much everything else covered for the hunt for him. Hunt is in late September, Sierra mountains of CA - could be 75* during the day and 40* at night, or 20* during the day and 0* at night.

Plan is to stay in a comfortable trailer and drive a short distance to some easy to access spots. It will be an any given sunday type hunt. Once hes bored or tired after the morning hunt, head back to the trailer next to the lake to go fishing and relax until the evening hunt.

Hes ready for a cast n blast!
EF13015B-2929-4B00-8554-7ABBEFE4799E.jpeg

rideold

WKR
Rain boots (wellies) and wool socks. That or just have him wear his winter boots if it is cold. If it is dry and not too cold let him wear his tennis shoes.

The first time I took my son turkey hunting he used his snow boots and he was fine. Maybe they were a bit warm but he never complained.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks @rideold I thought about just buying snow boots as he will need some, but it never gets that cold here where we live even with 20’ of snow. Figure he could wear waterproof hiking boots in winter more so than just snow boots. Rain boots may work with wool socks, and Im staying away from tennis shoes. Dew alone would cut the hunt short from those.

EdP

WKR
Wool socks, plastic bags over those, then tennis shoes. His feet should stay warm and dry and it won't break the bank. The tennis shoes will get wet, but not his feet. Bring a spare pair of tennis shoes so he has dry ones to wear at camp.

My kids wore Bogs boots when they were younger and now have gotten into Muck boots. Not great for hiking but warm, waterproof and comfortable.

My kids have worn cheap rain boots from Academy Sports. They have several colors.

My theory is, they're not hiking far distances, at most a couple miles, terrain isn't too rough, I can buy a little big in the winter time so they can wear thick wool socks and then when spring or summer come around they still fit for creek splashing and stuff like that. We've even ended up using them for sledding boots so we don't have to buy snow boots every year. If we get legit low temps and they still want to sled I'll drop some of those chemical toe warmers in them and they work great.

Funnily enough we end up spending more on socks than boots....tough to find quality wool socks sized for kids, and we pay for them.

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
My kid loves rain boots and I was thinking order some darn tough wool socks to go with them. Expensive but at least I know they are quality. Wife is not happy about the rain boot idea for some reason and I should have never mentioned this plan to her…. Was trying to avoid buying more shoes/boots than necessary. On my own doing it my way now lol.

Its been a humid summer here so I have a feeling we will be seeing an early winter but you never know. Will order rain boots and some hiking boots, then see what he likes better, and what the weather will be like. Add the words kid, baby, boat, plane, rv…. Tack on 50%! Thanks guys.