Boots - Brook Range

CCooper

WKR
Agree with all the advice given so far. The only thing I will add is sizing up a 1/2 size doesn't work for me. After no less than 20 pairs of different mountain boots and insole combos I've tried, I have come to the conclusion I have to pick one:
-Jambed toes on extreme downhill
or
-Tore-up heels.
I have never been able to find a mountain boot to take care of both.

kphunter

FNG
I did the custom L&S thing. I’m on my third pair, and they still don’t fit. They started me in a 9.5 and I’m in a 10.5 now, and I’m jamming my toes on any downhill.

I wore a pair of 9.5 Scarpas on several sheep hunts last year, and they fit great.
I’d love to know how there sizing works out for you.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding the briksdals. I ordered the regular ones (4 stiffness) and the SF (5 stiffness). I ended up keeping the SF from. Walking around in the house with a pack on. I really like em. I believe the new model was only 3 in stiffness.

schmalzy

WKR
Took regular Briksdal to wrangells last year. Very pleased with performance but my feet liked them. I sized a full size up, used superfeet flex insoles. I have a low to regular arch and have narrow feet, but need a big toe box.

They have a decent amount of “rocker” to them so flat ground isn’t bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Briksdal (non SF) - Arriving today
Scarps Ribelle Lite - Arriving Tuesday
Zamberlan 2092 - Arriving Tuesday
L&S Moutain Hunter - June sometime

OP
S

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Briksdal, Zamberlan and Scarpa's came in yesterday and I started walking around the house with and without a pack.

Zamberlan 2092 - Way to stiff for me
Scarpa Ribelle Lite - Have more room in toe box and over all in the boot. Comfortable and could wear with minium break-in.
Briksdal - Was shocked how good this boot felt. This book is not a stiff as the other two. Immediate felt like I was not wearing a boot at all as if it was apart of my foot. I also feel like no break-in is needed with this.

Conclusion, Briksdal wins out with the Scarpa's coming in second. I also feel like i could wear this Briksdal boot all day and for other non mountain hunting adventures.

My one question, Is a stiff rating of 4 good enough for use in the Brooks Range?

Last edited:

akbrett

FNG
Briksdal, Zamberlan and Scarpa's came in yesterday and I started walking around the house with and without a pack.

Zamberlan 2092 - Way to stiff for me
Scarpa Ribelle Lite - Have more room in toe box and over all in the boot. Comfortable and could wear with minium break-in.
Briksdal - Was shocked how good this boot felt. This book is not a stiff as the other two. Immediate felt like I was not wearing a boot at all as if it was apart of my foot. I also feel like no break-in is needed with this.

Conclusion, Briksdal wins out with the Scarpa's coming in second. I also feel like i could wear this Briksdal boot all day and for other non mountain hunting adventures.

My one question, Is a stiff rating of 4 good enough for use in the Brooks Range?
yes 4 is plenty, i’ve used the guides in the brooks on numerous occasions, which are a 3 rating.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It better be, that’s what I’m bringing. I’ve given the Thors a total wringing out here in Montana and can’t think we’ll be in anything worse :)

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the same experience with the briksdals. Been very pleased with them. Only issue I have had is that I can get lace bite if I don't tie them the right way.

I tried both the regular and the SF, I ended up keeping the SF. But that's all personal preference.

Iceman82

FNG
I personally have a custom fit pair of L&S boots. Used them in the Wrangell mountains and absolutely love them.
My only complaint would be the price.
Very, very comfortable boots

schmalzy

WKR
Edit: forgot I already posted on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srm51475

FNG
Sorry to revive this little bit older thread, but just wanted to say I'm evaluating all the same boots. Thanks for all the good info here.

Article 4

WKR
Good day everyone,

Last month I booked a Dall sheep hunt for this August in the brooks range. Outfitter recommended Scarpa boots for this trip. With that in mind I purchased the one KUIU had Rebel and R-Evolutions in a 1/2 size bigger as recommended.

Once I got them, the R-Evolution felt the best between the two so I returned the Rebels. The R-Evolutions are tight fitting especially in the toe box however after walking about 40 miles in them the past few weeks my feet get hot spots and also left foot feels cramped. If I take and kick the toe down, my toes hit the front of the boots.

I never had any of these "mountaineering" style boots so I am not sure if they are suppose to fit this way. I am concerned that these will cause some issues during my trip.

I am also thinking about doing the L&S custom fitting, however concerned with the length of time it will take and might be pushing it too close. Does anyone have any recommendation on boots that I could purchase and try on or any other suggestions?

Thanks
I personally bought and used Lathrop and Sons Mtn Extremes.
They will custom fit the boots to your feet and they are built like no other boot. Expressly made for sheep country and I put more than 200 miles on mine and they still felt and performed incredibly well. Yup we are talking 600 to 700 bucks but if you can afford a sheep hunt, dont let bad boots keep it from being epic!!!

OP
S

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to revive this little bit older thread, but just wanted to say I'm evaluating all the same boots. Thanks for all the good info here.
I ended up wearing Briksdal during my trip and they worked great. Downside is I think they shrunk when I got back as a few months later they was tight.

OP
S

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
I personally bought and used Lathrop and Sons Mtn Extremes.
They will custom fit the boots to your feet and they are built like no other boot. Expressly made for sheep country and I put more than 200 miles on mine and they still felt and performed incredibly well. Yup we are talking 600 to 700 bucks but if you can afford a sheep hunt, dont let bad boots keep it from being epic!!!
I am in the process of do ing the custom fitting, they sent me a size they thought would work however after getting them and going over the fit, we determined we should go up a size. Downside is that size is back ordered and looks like it wont be in until June. I sure hope this is one will be the right size as I started this process back in December.

Article 4

WKR
I am in the process of do ing the custom fitting, they sent me a size they thought would work however after getting them and going over the fit, we determined we should go up a size. Downside is that size is back ordered and looks like it wont be in until June. I sure hope this is one will be the right size as I started this process back in December.
It took me a good 3 months to get them as well. Yeah, hope you get what you need

ChrisD

FNG
I’ve used Koflachs for sheep hunting. They should not be too tight right from the onset. Your feet will swell, and need the extra room