Boots - are we doing it wrong

WaWox

FNG
I think #2 is bit more nuanced… my main elk spot for instance, I leave the truck and theres no trail, just 1 off trail mile before I’m going straight up the mountain then it’s all sidehilling, some talus, but mostly just hiking horizontally on a 30 degree slope. My ankles get pretty hammered in a light hiker. Sure my feet are comfy but I’m moving so slow that weight isn’t an issue. I might feel different if I didn’t hunt that type of terrain.

But like I said if I’m day hunting bears in the fall for instance I pack the Salomon’s 100%.
Also if someone is just training by rucking in a stiff boot then your handicapping yourself, similar to relying on cycling to get better at footborn movement. Hunters would be better served to mix up there training on rugged terrain without much weight and wearing less supportive footwear. Save the rucking and stiff boots till your a couple months out.
Agreed that with side hilling exhaustion plays out different. maybe really intense side hilling counts as technical terrain for point 3 ? I agree the categories are fluid. I also, somehow, never have to do muvh side hilling so it didnt loom large in my recap here

Josh Gray

FNG
Being a climber I read technical and went to just imagining it from that perspective but I believe your right on extended extensive side-hilling and your #3