Boot review: On Cloudalpine

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I tried out a new boot this year and figure it’s a model that is likely not on people’s radar, but deserves a look if it fits your needs and desires: On Cloudalpine, $330.

For context: I have worn Scarpa Charmoz and KUIU Scarpa mountaineering boots extensively over the past decade for alpine climbs, extended backcountry trips, and mountain hunts. The fit was good for my foot, and I liked the stiffness and support for rough off trail use. That said, they were always brutal for banging out miles on trails or gentle-to-moderate terrain. I wanted something with more comfort and cushion under foot, less stiffness, wider toe box, but similar construction traits (lightweight synthetic upper with good durability, excellent sole traction, among others).

While browsing On’s site for a pair of shoes for casual wear, I noticed the Cloudalpine boot. It immediately struck me as having the potential to be a serious contender for what I like in a boot. I kept searching and hadn’t yet made a decision when my wife surprised me with a pair as a gift. After a few skeptical sessions of wearing them around the house, I decided they had good potential and that I would give them a shot for the year.

As of now, these boots have about 12-15 days in the field between training hikes and backcountry hunting days. (I did a lot of my training hikes in trail runners this year instead of boots - trying to trend more and more minimal with my footwear and build up foot strength after a couple decades of wearing stiff boots for work and hiking.) The photos below show the boots when new, then after the aforementioned use. They have held up well in my opinion. For someone like me, who does a couple trips per season plus routine training hikes I would estimate that these will last about two seasons, maybe longer. That is based off the relatively light (albeit seemingly quite durable so far) upper materials and softer foam used in the midsole. For me, this is acceptable lifespan, and I understand opinions may vary widely on that topic.

These boots are quite light. My size 14 Cloudalpines weigh 1.60 lbs per boot, compared to 2.16 lbs per boot for the same size KUIU Scarpa pictured below. Noticeable and significant improvement in comfort due to lighter weight and improved cushion in the midsole. I also found the toe box width to be an improvement over the narrow “technical mountaineering boot” style toe of the Scarpas. Additionally, the Cloudalpine uses a low-friction fabric liner throughout the whole interior of the boots, which had far less friction than the standard Goretex liner face fabric. I almost always would develop hotspots at minimum, and usually blisters, in any Goretex (or similar membrane) lined boot - not the case with the Cloudalpines. Whatever fabric they use for the liner works great.

Traction was excellent. Ability to plunge-step or edge the sole on soft steep terrain was excellent. The design of the ankle cuff has a generous dip at the Achilles, so ankle mobility is good for a boot of this style.

I have not tested the waterproofing yet.

Conclusion:
These have performed up to my expectations as a quality lightweight mountain hunting boot. I will continue to use them through the fall and winter so they will see some snow time. I can provide updates down the line if there is interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 9

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
True. I guess they just look like one season boots to new whereas I expect 2-3 out of Crispi's for example.

OP
alpine_troop

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
And that may likely be the case. I’m not super stoked about expensive stuff that has limited lifespan, but I need my boots to work well for me and my feet. Boots are so individual that personally, when I go shop for a new pair, I prioritize fit and features over plus-or-minus a hundred bucks.

Every pair of Crispis, Schnees, and Kenetreks I have tried on (and I’ve tried damn near all their models that are relevant to my use), have not even come close to working for my foot and how I want my boots to fit and feel. Wish that wasn’t the case, cause then I’d have way more options!

Vivo Forest Tracker ESC are $270 but my feet just aren’t there yet…