Boot recommendations??

Joey_D

FNG
So I went out on my first backpacking elk scout trip and I thought the boots I was running would be broken in and just fine...I was wrong. Looking for recommendations between the crispi lapponia’s and the Salomon quest 4D 3 GTX....my heels would appreciate and insight

Attachments

• 0CFBF5A4-8FB5-44CE-BF21-9B1ABE09E626.jpeg
    0CFBF5A4-8FB5-44CE-BF21-9B1ABE09E626.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 3CA462B3-8E0C-442D-BC8B-5CFC7F103134.jpeg
    3CA462B3-8E0C-442D-BC8B-5CFC7F103134.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 84

hikenhunt

WKR
I'm a fan of Salomon. I'm running the Ultra Mid 3 GTX right now and love them.

But really, you are asking a question like, should I get a Ford or Dodge? Everyone's going to have a different answer because everyone's transportation/hauling needs are different just like everyone's feet and boot needs are different. It takes some trial and error to find a boot that fits well, unless you go completely high-end custom. find a store that you can try on a bunch, that's probably your best bet.

I'm a huge fan of leukotape to help with the blisters. Maybe watch some YouTube video on how to tie eather 1 of those 2 boots you mentioned

OP
J

Joey_D

FNG
I'm a huge fan of leukotape to help with the blisters. Maybe watch some YouTube video on how to tie eather 1 of those 2 boots you mentioned
Definitely had leukotape on before I ever put my boots on...I guess if I didn’t it would have been much worse. Thanks for the input.

Tomly

FNG
I’ve had good experiences with Lowa boots. Camino when carrying weight. Renegade when just carrying myself or a daypack. They’ve held up well and kept my feet in good condition.

I would be able to tell within 100 yards if my boots were going to cause blisters like that on my heals. I generally put after-market insoles in all of my boots, whether it's Dr. Scholls, Superfeet, or Lathrop & sons, I always put some sort of better insole in my boots to lift my heel a bit and lock it into the heel cup with tighter lacing on the lower half of the boot. In most cases, if I can get the fit close, then I can usually fine tune them with insoles and lacing. Leuko tape is AMAZING stuff!

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Try leukotape, engo blister prevention patches, letting your socks and insoles air out in sun during breaks and meals, and lacing your boots to lock in your heels more. I used to have alot of heel blisters and the above helped alot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Leuko tape goes on every trip I make. I tape my feet up the night before I hike or hunt. Really saves on blisters and hot spots. I buy Lowa's because they fit my feet. Just bought a new pair. Like others, I think you really need to try on boots before buying or order both and send one back.

Catahoula

WKR
I currently wear the Crispi Nevada and just picked up the new Crispi Crossover Pro Lite GTX. Both are a good fit for my feet. Gone through Kenetreks in the past and those were somewhat less for giving than say my current boots... I also have worn the Lowa Renengade which I have found to be an outstanding daily wearer as well.

SoCal Rob

FNG
I’ve had good experiences with Lowa boots. Camino when carrying weight. Renegade when just carrying myself or a daypack. They’ve held up well and kept my feet in good condition.
I second the good experiences with Lowa. I use the Sesto for warm weather and the Tibet GTX for mild/wet weather.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair if the Crispi Summitt. Most comfortable boot I have ever worn. Supportive, but not stiff, not bulky and lightweight. I have the salomon, brand new, but can tell they dont feel right. Lowa renegade is also a great boot, just a bit too soft n the sole and footbed for long days elk hunting. Lowa tibet feel like ski boots to me. I also have an old pair of Lowa Rangers that I really like, but I like the Crispi better.

Jasper17

FNG
By the look of your heel it looks like a bad fit for sure and if they fit right no blisters so Crispi gets my nod. Other brands might work well just haven't tried them. Good luck

Sometimes sizing doesn’t matter but look like too big. You want a tighter fit than regular shoes, only about 1cm to front of boot.

The way I find boots is with a credit card. I ordered about 2k worth of boots of different brands this year and found what works. First I’ll setup a 8’-2x12 board on my porch steps and wear some thinner dress socks to really get a feel and walk up and down for about 10min to see which ones feel the best. Then I’ll go for a secondary hike straight up a hill, no trail, in a regular hiking sock with the top 3 and 70# pack, luckily I have a super steep hill next to my house, 1k elev gain in 1 mile. The one that comes out with the least amount of rub wins regardless of style/color, the rest all get sent back.

There’s a few companies out there that have free returns, one is Campsaver.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
Depending on the trip I rotate between the Quest and the Lowa TIbet GTX Hi, love both.

Lschloss

FNG
I purchased a pair of the salomon quest 4D's back in May and have worn them on a few long hikes to test them out. Have been super comfortable and no problem with blisters or anything like that. Theyre a little warm in the heat of the summer obviously but zero complaints other than that.