Boot or Stockingfoot Waders?

Slugz

WKR
Im looking to get some waders for AK raft float trips/ AK fly in lake trips.

What would be best to cover all scenarios?
Primary use hunting northern AK and secondary fishing on the Kenaii Aug/ Sep

I was set on stocking foot until I heard a discussion of boot foots as they can provide an air layer for insulation and the ability to toss a foot warmer in them.

Please provide your experience and comments.

Thanks

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Stocking foots can be a pain in freezeing temps, have had to soak wader and boot in the river to thaw them out so I could get them back on!

I hang my boot foots overnight so they freeze in a position I can still get them on.

Better boot options for stocking foot, particularly for slick freestone rivers, I use felt with studs!

Jimss

WKR
I prefer stocking feet. There are a lot more boot options that are much more comfortable. Also check regs for boot bottoms in Alaska. I’m pretty sure felt bottoms are illegal in some drainages in Alaska.

hiker270

WKR
I have both and use both for different purposes. The boot foot I use when its colder and layer inside them with merino wool socks. The stocking foot with Simms Guide boots when I am going to be walking several miles because they provide more ankle support. Both have felt bottoms with carbide studs.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
My concern is the long float I have and keeping feet warm.

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
Bootfoot waders are definitely warmer because of the airspace. With that said the ankle support is much better with stockingfoot. I use bootfoot for hunting and stockingfoot for fishing.

jimh406

WKR
You don't have to have cold feet if you size the boots big enough to wear proper socks and wear appropriate long underwear with fleece pants.

Stocking foot is good for flexibility of different types of soles as well.

Im looking to get some waders for AK raft float trips/ AK fly in lake trips.

What would be best to cover all scenarios?
Primary use hunting northern AK and secondary fishing on the Kenaii Aug/ Sep

I was set on stocking foot until I heard a discussion of boot foots as they can provide an air layer for insulation and the ability to toss a foot warmer in them.

Please provide your experience and comments.

Thanks
Boot foot waders are sloppy and cumbersome compared to stocking foot and good wading boots.

Boot foot are warmer in the feet and one less thing to pack/forget

For not much walking (no technical walking) and cold weather, boot foot are nice, and the opposite is true with stocking foot

I personally have a hard time justifying boot foot waders, because it would have to be an additional pair, in no way could boot foot waders replace my stocking foot waders.

If you end up with stocking foot, check out dryft, mine finally sprung their first leak after lasting at least a whole year more than any waders I have owned… more longevity than the couple pairs of G3’s I have had

If the dryft and g3 were the same price, I would still buy the dryft… maybe my next pair won’t live as long, but they don’t have to, best bang for your buck in the wading world for retail price.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Boot foot waders are sloppy and cumbersome compared to stocking foot and good wading boots.

Boot foot are warmer in the feet and one less thing to pack/forget

For not much walking (no technical walking) and cold weather, boot foot are nice, and the opposite is true with stocking foot

I personally have a hard time justifying boot foot waders, because it would have to be an additional pair, in no way could boot foot waders replace my stocking foot waders.

If you end up with stocking foot, check out dryft, mine finally sprung their first leak after lasting at least a whole year more than any waders I have owned… more longevity than the couple pairs of G3’s I have had

If the dryft and g3 were the same price, I would still buy the dryft… maybe my next pair won’t live as long, but they don’t have to, best bang for your buck in the wading world for retail price.
Thanks. Will do.