Boot Month on Rokslide

luke moffat

Super Moderator
All of the reviews will be a good read and I for one will be looking to see what others have said regarding what they have had on there feet! Boots to me are like opinions..everyone has one and everyone has to find the one that actually fits there feet. I have spent more money on boots than clothing ..well pretty close but not so. If you find a quality boot that fits share it! One has to find different models within a brand also. Some do not stack up like others! Waiting to see it! Bob.

Agreed, just wrote up my review and sent it into Robby today. I stated the same thing at the end, just because it works for my feet and I like it, if it doesn't fit your foot it doesn't matter how awesome a given boot is, you'd be better off hiking in your tennis shoes than a boot that gives you blisters and such ;)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boots... Excited to see how this goes. Look forward to everyone's input..
410679942.jpg

410679943.jpg

bowinhand

WKR
Maybe some sort of the proper way to measure your feet in the intro? I've also noticed that boots may not run the same size in the same brand and that just because it's not your size doesn't mean it won't fit.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe some sort of the proper way to measure your feet in the intro? I've also noticed that boots may not run the same size in the same brand and that just because it's not your size doesn't mean it won't fit.

that will be covered in Boot Month

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I see that High Country's boot selection looks like mine. I wish I could have found one pair for every purpose but that didn't work. Right now, I have three pairs that are working for me: Schnee's Granites for the mountain hunts, Zamberlan Vioz for uninsulated needs and a pair of Crispi Kanadas for the insulated later season needs. Used the Crispis this last weekend on a South Dakota pheasant hunt and they worked perfect. Spend a lot of time and money getting to this point as my feet are hard to fit and I think I have it nailed for a small fortune. Only thing I am dreading is a pair of "true" mountaineering boots for a goat hunt. Got to get a goat hunt lined up first as I think I want a pair of plastics for that purpose. Looking forward to the reviews.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
of the group I primarily run my Lowa Bighorns for hunting (replaced my Meindls) and the Salmons for hiking. Pacs are winter specific, and used for low exertion stuff. My La Sportiva lightweight hiking boots are ok, but after getting a good fit on my Lowas I'm debating other options.

Manosteel

WKR
Looking forward to this as I am in the market for a new mountain boot. While I know every foot is different I really want to know how the boots stack up in terms of
(1) durability
(2) waterproofness
(3) stiffness
(4) transaction
(5) overall build.

birdman1

FNG
i am very interested as well, looking for a stiffer boot...there are so many options!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Manosteel, of the two non-pac boots I tested, the Tech Lite much stiffer than the Bridger. With only one season on both, I can't say a lot about waterproofness other than they both are. Tech Lite probably better traction, but not by much. Durability seems matched, so far. Overall build, if that means the same thing to me, I like the Bridgers feel on my feet-light, stiff enough, easy to move, shorter. The Tech Lites just a bit taller and stiffer so harder to move in.

Rob5589

WKR
Pefect timing as I am in the market at the moment for my first set of "good" boots.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to this as I am in the market for a new mountain boot. While I know every foot is different I really want to know how the boots stack up in terms of
(1) durability
(2) waterproofness
(3) stiffness
(4) transaction
(5) overall build.

Of the boots covered in this boot month reviews, I don't think there are any issues with quality / overall build. I have run Cabela's Meindls, several La Sportivas, and now the Lowa Bighorns. Quality build was never an issue with any. I have more time in my Meindls than any of them and they kept the water out as expected. They are in good shape, and I'd still be wearing them if they fit well. I did do a sheep hunt in the Wrangels where I wished they were a tad stiffer. It was very loose steep stuff. My NUMBER ONE issue is fit. We are blessed to have a LOT of great boots out there. The trick is to find the right boot for you and your chosen pursuit.

I didn't know what to expect when I called Lathrop & Sons, but Stephen took the time to get to know my hunting style, typical terrain, and since I had struggled with blisters he recommended I do the custom fit service. It sucks to pay the fee, but if I had done it the first time I would be WAY ahead.

My Lowa Bighorns seem to be a mixture of comfort and stiffness. They are perfect for my late season high country pursuits. As my Bighorns fit so well I'm debating the Tech Lite Hunter for times when I don't need an insulated boot.

Backstrap

Lil-Rokslider
Find a good ski shop or ice skating pro shop. Both those activities regularly have to stretch and grind out their respective foot wear to fit properly.

Schaaf

WKR
I think I've narrowed my search down to Kenetrek Hardscrabbles or Schnee Absaroka. I've read a bunch of reviews and trying to find someplace I can try them on. Anyone have some thoughts?

mauidiver

WKR
Those Schnee Absaroka are sweet indeed!! Wish I could try a pair myself. Just ordered a couple pair of Lowa Tibets on a killer sale from Amazon and shoebuy for $270 bucks. Will be my first time trying them for size. Hope they fit.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Schaaf
You could either drive over to Bozeman and try on the Schnee's at their store or just order them and try them on. If they don't work, you're out a few bucks in postage but at least you know.