boot break-in process

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Does everyone pretty much just hike to break-in their boots or is there a faster way to get it done?
I just received my first pair of boots that are a little on the stiffer side. I went with the han wag alaska gtx and the fit and feel are very comfortable but I did my normal 6 mile hike last night with 50 pounds in the pack and I had some soreness in my feet. I read that they are stiffer than the crispi nevadas I had before but figured I'd start breaking them in but now I'm wondering if I should have started off slower. ha

They are a lot stiffer than the crispi nevadas. How did your size compare to the crispi nevadas, and has the toe box loostened up any on the Alaskas? But to your question, you can get a boot stretcher to give yourself more room in certain spots, but I think hiking in them is the best. You can wash them off and apply wax frequently to keep the moist which will allow them to form to your foot quicker and not crack. Theres no secres sauce tho in my opinion.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
They are a lot stiffer than the crispi nevadas. How did your size compare to the crispi nevadas, and has the toe box loostened up any on the Alaskas? But to your question, you can get a boot stretcher to give yourself more room in certain spots, but I think hiking in them is the best. You can wash them off and apply wax frequently to keep the moist which will allow them to form to your foot quicker and not crack. Theres no secres sauce tho in my opinion.
I have used the nevadas and lowa tibets depending on the season and the alaskas to me feel stiffer than both. I have slightly wider feet so I got the alaskas in wide and they fit perfect, just a titch tight on the outside of the foot but they'll break in. I have a size 10.5 in the lowas and crisps but always felt like they were just a little too big so I went with a size 10 in the alaskas. I really like how they hug the heel and they feel significantly less bulky than the lowas. The toe box has not loosened up on the alaskas but I did read a couple reviews about that.

Just use em and wear em. Sweat in em. Go to Home Depot and walk around ha (what I’ve done).

I’ve heard that you can wet them and wear em to help too. But might not be best COA for long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UThunter6

FNG
Seems like some boots you just have to wear a lot and almost break in your foot to
The boot.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
I like wearing them for several weeks to a month in general before hiking with them, especially if I replace the insole.

Maverick1

WKR
Does everyone pretty much just hike to break-in their boots or is there a faster way to get it done?
I just received my first pair of boots that are a little on the stiffer side. I went with the han wag alaska gtx and the fit and feel are very comfortable but I did my normal 6 mile hike last night with 50 pounds in the pack and I had some soreness in my feet. I read that they are stiffer than the crispi nevadas I had before but figured I'd start breaking them in but now I'm wondering if I should have started off slower. ha
Like others, I typically just wear them hiking. I have found that stepping in puddles or a quick dunk in a bucket of water - while I’m wearing them - has helped in getting boots to soften up and more quickly form to the shape of my feet. Just a good, quick dip on the outside and then hike for a couple of hours seems to help. (Not a complete soaking inside the boot.)

Stitch

FNG
I've tried soaking them in water and wearing them till dry. I've also just worn them around and hiked in them. The second one is my preference.

jmez

WKR
Soreness in your feet is normal
With a stiffer boot. If it is only soreness and not blisters your feet need broken in, not the boot.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

My feet like Kenetrek's and are use to them. Did a waterproof test on my boots a couple of weeks before going to Kodiak and my old Kenetrek's failed. So I had to scramble to buy a new pair and break them in. This is what I did to get Kenetrek's broken in in two weeks.

Wore a 50# pack and walked around neighborhood for one hour (3.5 mph) for five days straight. Saturday and Sunday mornings I did a 5 mile hike, with 50# pack, up and down a mountain. I repeated the process again the following week.

Worked well for me.

Note: the 50# pack is what I was already practicing with to get ready for my hunt.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Break in process for all my boots is the same. You are gonna need some time on your hands for this method. Last pair I broke in were a pair of McRae Jungle Boots for work. Flex and twist the boot in your hands to stretch them out. Put the boots on with the thickest pair of socks you own. lace them tight. get the boots completely wet and keep them wet for a while. (kiddie pool, shower, bath, whatever.) Wear them for about an hour or until dry. (if you like your feet and the skin attached to them DO NOT RUCK IN THEM at this point) Watch an episode of your favorite mini series ( probably Orange is the New Black, or You, or whatever you are into). Take boots off. Boots should be broken in. Repeat once if you need to.

Working on a new pair of lowa Tibets. I just put them on with my pack and sandbag and started walking. Noticed them getting more and more comfortable after 5 or 6 five mile walks. now I am at 50 plus miles and they are great, have molded nicely to my feet and are very comfortable except for the stock insoles.

Last edited:
That hike will certainly be a good start to breaking them in! Like others have mentioned nothing will beat just wearing them. If your gym allows it, another good way to break them in quick is on the stair stepper! As for softening the leather to break in, mink oil is hit or miss with certain leathers, crispi has their waterproofing cream, kenetrek makes a conditioner/ waterproofer, and I have also used the Danner boot dressing with good results on my Danner Crater Rims. Cheers!

It might be just me, but I found that a pair of quality boots that fit properly don't need to be broken in. They might be a little stiff at first, but I don't do anything special to break them in. Maybe I wear them around the house for an hour or so to make sure they fit, but nothing beyond that.

It might be just me, but I found that a pair of quality boots that fit properly don't need to be broken in. They might be a little stiff at first, but I don't do anything special to break them in. Maybe I wear them around the house for an hour or so to make sure they fit, but nothing beyond that.
This is a good point. There can be a huge discrepancy between what “breaking” in a boot means to people. Some want to form the boot, others to break in the materials such as a hard outsole rubber. In any case, the ideal boot for you shouldn’t hurt your feet too much.