Boot advice

So I am looking for some advice or direction on boots. I will be going on a Elk hunt mid September to Idaho, we will be doing a good bit of walking in 8-9 days. I currently have some Danner Pronghorns that are 800 gram ( I wouldn't trade them for the world) however I'm concerned about the insulation and also the boots are about 6 years old. Looking for a boot that would do good in that element with out breaking the bank. If y'all think I would be fine with my Danners I will stick with them, however Im open to options/opinions on other boots as well!

Thanks!

Kyle [email protected]

It's no secret that your bootsr can make or break your hunt. An 800-gram boot in mid-Sept could prove to be way too hot, especially if mid-Sept is anything like it was last year.. I hunted Idaho last year in that time and it was 80+ degrees the whole time. Needless to say, I was happy to be in my non-insulated boots. For what it's worth, a boot that is too hot is arguable just as bad as one that is too cold. Heat leads to sweat, sweat makes your feet/socks/boots wet, and wet feet/socks/boots leads to blistering. Happy feet are often times the difference between success and failure on a mountain hunt.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek

I like the looks of the Kenertrek however, they are a little out of my budget range. Between paying for a wedding, this trip and life. Im about to my max haha!

Thanks though

QUOTE=kenetrekboots;743343]It's no secret that your bootsr can make or break your hunt. An 800-gram boot in mid-Sept could prove to be way too hot, especially if mid-Sept is anything like it was last year.. I hunted Idaho last year in that time and it was 80+ degrees the whole time. Needless to say, I was happy to be in my non-insulated boots. For what it's worth, a boot that is too hot is arguable just as bad as one that is too cold. Heat leads to sweat, sweat makes your feet/socks/boots wet, and wet feet/socks/boots leads to blistering. Happy feet are often times the difference between success and failure on a mountain hunt.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek[/QUOTE]

I like the looks of the Kenertrek however, they are a little out of my budget range. Between paying for a wedding, this trip and life. Im about to my max haha!

Thanks though

QUOTE=kenetrekboots;743343]It's no secret that your bootsr can make or break your hunt. An 800-gram boot in mid-Sept could prove to be way too hot, especially if mid-Sept is anything like it was last year.. I hunted Idaho last year in that time and it was 80+ degrees the whole time. Needless to say, I was happy to be in my non-insulated boots. For what it's worth, a boot that is too hot is arguable just as bad as one that is too cold. Heat leads to sweat, sweat makes your feet/socks/boots wet, and wet feet/socks/boots leads to blistering. Happy feet are often times the difference between success and failure on a mountain hunt.

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek
[/QUOTE]

I understand that! Wasn't even necessarily pitching you on Kenetreks, but a good pair of Non-Insulated, no matter the make/model would still be a nice addition to your gear arsenal.

Good luck this fall!

-Wyatt @ Kenetrek

Good advice, you definitely don't need insulated boots that time of year in Spudaho. High quality wool socks, not necessarily heavy or thick, will make up for a lot of insulation grams if you need some warmth.

Take it for what its worth, but I live in MT and hunt archery thru rifle with the same pair of uninsulated boots. I am an active hunter and move a lot and have never felt like I needed an insulated boot.

I hunted Idaho last year from September to December with some very heavy boots. This year I will be wearing Salmon Speedcross 4's with some Darn Tough socks until it starts to snow. Then I will go back to the heavy boots. I would be more concerned about how heavy your footwear is as opposed to warmth.

Will say that when going the sneaker route good gaiters are a must.

Last edited:
Back