Books to read while hunting

jdub17

FNG
Lots of votes for Alaska's Wolf Man, and I totally agree. I'd also recommend Me Caribou Is On Fire! by Pete Buist.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I am reading “the winter army” by Maurice Isserman. If you like Skiing, alpine climbing or WW2 it’s a fantastic non fiction book.

OP
ddavis_1313
Thanks for the recommendations! I picked up a couple from the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
This is a book you’ll only read when bored or snowed in, but it’s entertaining in all the serious stuff it covers in a readable format for non professionals. I keep a copy in the car, house, give them away as gifts, and if there is extra room on a hunt, throw one in with the stuff that stays in camp.3C8901B0-89C0-4B19-AE1B-663A0DD4E22A.jpeg

I've never cracked a book, audio or otherwise, while in the mountains. I could see it being nice in the late season when nights are long though!

Will agree with everyone who has posted "Alaska's Wolf Man" - just a fun collection of Alaska stories.

Sometimes I want a longer book when I'm stuck in the tent for longer periods of time. We have small paperback copies of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I usually toss one of those in a dry bag as well. Looks like the Two Towers is coming with moose hunting this fall.

280rem

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska’s wolf man frank glasser like others have said is a must have for this list. Above the Arctic circle, would be another good one I hadn’t seen mentioned. Hoping you have great weather and little time for books.

CJ Box books are always a good read while hunting/camping, his joe pickett series follows a game warden in wyoming.

This archery season im reading lonesome dove by Larry McMurty

if in cabin hunt i will have a book just in case of weather but in a tent not so far ...

Bad weather is pretty much the only reason why I’ll bring the extra wt. of a book while I’m spiking out. Hell, I once read a book two times, while pinned down with bad weather for 5 days under a tarp.
bf4eeb550d5ae2c7ec2768c78e8cc5b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WashCycle

FNG
Band of Brothers is always a great read! In the same theme and a great war history read is Parachute Infantry by David Kenyon Webster(He's the Harvard Student in the Band of Brothers Show)

Journal of a Trapper - Nine Years in the Rocky Mountains, 1834-1843 by Osborne Russell

1776 - David McCullough

The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton *If you want to know the real details behind the Armstrong Era dopping programs and the base for doping into the 2020's in endurance sports.

No Easy Day - Mark Owen

I'll be reading 7003 Days while sitting in moose camp calling next week... It's about a couple who spent 21 years living and working in Frank Church wilderness.... looks promising as of right now.