Book recommendations

Jbehredt

WKR
Not generally a reader here but a few Steven Pressfield titles had me losing sleep saying “one more chapter.”

Gates Of Fire
Man At Arms
The Profession

Boone - by Robert Morgan, awesome biography on Daniel Boone

Undaunted Courage - Story of the Lewis and Clark expedition

The next two don’t have as much hunting related content but are real good

Empire of the Summer Moon - super interesting story of the rise and fall of the Comanches.

Blood and Thunder - I just started this one but it is really good so far. Essentially the story of Kit Carson exploring the West

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zdub02

WKR
I just finished "Man in the Arena" and couldn't put the book down. Incredible story and I love how Eddie incorporated supplemental interviews and evidence

Here are some of my favorites that I re-read every couple of years:

- Tales of a Bear Hunter by Dalton Carr.
- The Year Long Day by Ivar Ruud (a little difficult to find, but well worth the effort. It's about a guy who lived alone on Svalbard for 12 months at a time hunting and trapping).

- Alaska Bear Tales by Larry Kaniut
- More Alaska Bear Tales by Larry Kaniut

- Tigrero! by Sasha Siemel (available from Safari Press). The story of a man who hunted jaguars with a spear (and no rifle backup) in the Brazilian matto grasso region.

1648655296106.png

Enjoy!

bobr1

WKR
Well it’s that time of year that I spend upwards of 18 hours a day sitting in a pickup waiting on stubborn bovines to calve and as I can only spend so much time on rokslide a day I was hoping for some book recommendations. Specifically looking for any hunting/outdoor type books but also like military and history types as well. Bonus if it’s available on the kindle app so I can read it on my phone.
I’m kind of suprised no one mentioned teddy roosevelts books. He has several that are hunting/adventure/ranching. Wilderness hunter and hunting trips of a ranch man were pretty good. Also his African safari hunt book is really interesting as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been getting really into stories of hunts and information about areas and places. I’ve really been enjoying:
-alaska Yukon trophies won and lost
-quest for dall sheep
-rampages 123
-wind dust and snow I and II
-bowhunting alaskas rivers
-hunting the hard way

I probably missed a few.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to get back into reading, so I've started this book which came highly recommended.

So far it's been good.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
Book by Alfred Lansing

"is a 1959 book written by Alfred Lansing, about the failure of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition led by Sir Ernest Shackleton, in its attempt to cross the Antarctic continent in 1914."

This is a great book. I was given it by a friend and couldn’t put it down. Can’t believe I had not heard of it before. It’s a crazy story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
There’s quite a few good reads on this list. https://www.listchallenges.com/national-geographics-100-greatest-adventure-books

WWII History:
With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa is a terrible Great book. It’s Follow up China Marine also by Sledge is great.
Islands of the Damned was written by Eugene Sledge‘s mortar squad leader RV Burgin “ Burgie” from the mini series The Pacific and is a must read for those that liked Old Breed.
Shattered Sword: the true story of Midway. If you don’t like lots of minutia you might bog down in this one.
Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle by Richard Frank.
Neptunes Inferno. Few people know more sailors were killed at Guadalcanal than Marines and Soldiers in the Cruiser, Destroyer, and Battleship naval battles around Guadalcanal
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
Marine! A great story of Chesty Puller. Free on Kindle

Hunting -
Jaguar Hunting in the Matto Grosso and Bolivia -

Any of Capstick's Africa series - Death in the Long grass/Silent Places/Lonely Land

books by Jim Corbett about hunting man-eating tigers and leopards

Other -

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

The Long Walk - true story of escape on foot in the 1950s from Siberian prison to India

Scouting on Two Continents - Frederick Burnham who after fighting in Apache campaigns went to Africa and served as a tracker and scout in the Boer wars

Fair Play - The Moral Dilemmas of Spying - written by a CIA station chief, it is an interesting book where several dozen real life scenarios are presented, and you have to decide what line are you not willing to cross even for the greater good

Left of Bang - interesting book about human behavior, threats, establishing baselines to detect when something is not right

Killing Pablo - story of CIA and Delta working with the Colombians to hunt down and kill Pablo Escobar in Colombia

However, since you will be working as a birthing assistant and life coach for pregnant teenage bovines, the most appropriate are the books by Baxter Black. I spent many a cold evening in the Sand Hills in Nebraska reading Baxter Black to a cow dog with OCD issues and a condescending bay mare named after an ex-girlfriend while doing hourly checks on first calf heifers we had brought closer in because of the weather and coyotes. Somehow as I thought about my life decisions that had led me to my arm being shoulder deep inside an ungrateful heifer trying to slip OB chains on little hooves, Baxter's poetry would make sense of it all...

JCohHTX

FNG
The Frontiersman by Allan Eckert. This is a biography of Simon Kenton. He was every bit the explorer and woodsman that Boone was but for some reason Americans latched onto Boone and Kenton doesn't really get mentioned. An amazing life and a bit more exciting then some of the Boone biographies I have read.