Book Cliffs Bison

ben h

WKR
Wasn't sure where to put this, but my friends dad drew Book Cliifs Bison this coming November. If anyone has any info on some good areas to scout I'd appreciate any info.

thanks,

Ben

OP
B

ben h

WKR
Didn't get any replies on this, but it didn't really matter, we didn't have much trouble finding good areas to hunt. Thought I'd still post up a few pics. If you ever get the opportunity to see the Book Cliffs, take it; definitely some neat country. We saw at least 100 elk, one nice bull and one rag horn, wild horses are everywhere, and bison are not hard to find either. Make sure to top off your truck in either Vernal or Roosevelt and bring extra gas with you, there is nothing out there (we took 10 gallons extra for each truck). The bison are definitely wild and do not like humans. The big herds can MOVE, when they don't want to be around anymore. It's a once in a life time hunt, so if anyone wants any intel, I may be of help. My friends dad had 22 points to draw, but we ran into 2 hunters that only had 4 points. For those of you that think elk are hard to pack out, think 3x the size of an elk! These suckers can sure soak up bullets too; took 8 shots to the vitals from a 300 win mag before this one tipped over.

View attachment 42545View attachment 42546

Grumman

WKR
Head's up the pics aren't showing up. Look forward to seeing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Wow, that's pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing (got any more pics?).

Kind of unrelated to bison, but book cliffs related....see any chukar?

I've seen chukar on the CO side, between GJ and Douglass Pass. I marked them on my GPS if you're interested.

OP
B

ben h

WKR
I took quite a few pictures out there. Here's a few looking south into the roadless area.
P1020086.jpg

P1020087.jpg
P1020088.jpg

This pic is a well trimmed off front quarter and I had to put it on while sitting down and I could barely stand up with it on.

P1020102.jpg

The anatomy of the bison is pretty strange, the hump is actually some really long vertebrate. The top 18" is nothing but meat and bone, so make sure you shoot low.

P1020114.jpg

The Book Cliffs are an area that there wasn't a lot of information that I could find. As stated if you get the chance, check them out. I didn't see any chuckars, but it does look like some places would hold birds. We didn't take dogs and didn't happen to bust up any. The terrain is HUGE, some of the sage flats would take 2hrs to walk across, just to get to the hillsides. It would be tough to hunt if you didn't know of some honeyholes, which I don't.

Didn't get any replies on this, but it didn't really matter, we didn't have much trouble finding good areas to hunt. Thought I'd still post up a few pics. If you ever get the opportunity to see the Book Cliffs, take it; definitely some neat country. We saw at least 100 elk, one nice bull and one rag horn, wild horses are everywhere, and bison are not hard to find either. Make sure to top off your truck in either Vernal or Roosevelt and bring extra gas with you, there is nothing out there (we took 10 gallons extra for each truck). The bison are definitely wild and do not like humans. The big herds can MOVE, when they don't want to be around anymore. It's a once in a life time hunt, so if anyone wants any intel, I may be of help. My friends dad had 22 points to draw, but we ran into 2 hunters that only had 4 points. For those of you that think elk are hard to pack out, think 3x the size of an elk! These suckers can sure soak up bullets too; took 8 shots to the vitals from a 300 win mag before this one tipped over.

View attachment 42545View attachment 42546
I know your thread is years old, but I ran across it escouting for my bookcliffs cow bison hunt. Any tips of areas to check out would be greatly appreciated!

FYG

FNG
I know your thread is years old, but I ran across it escouting for my bookcliffs cow bison hunt. Any tips of areas to check out would be greatly appreciated!
Did you ever get any info? I hunted the South/Little Creek Roadless at the start of November. Not trying to hijack the thread, I can't PM yet. Will be happy to reach out once I can if it's still of use to you.

Did you ever get any info? I hunted the South/Little Creek Roadless at the start of November. Not trying to hijack the thread, I can't PM yet. Will be happy to reach out once I can if it's still of use to you.
Thanks for the reply. Didn’t get any info but was lucky to find a herd and tag out a few days into the season. Pumped!

FYG

FNG
Thanks for the reply. Didn’t get any info but was lucky to find a herd and tag out a few days into the season. Pumped!
Excellent! Congratulations- mine has been excellent table fare, and once the drying period is up, I will be getting him officially scored.