Bone Marrow

CMF

WKR
We usually bone out meat for packing, but we lucked up on a recent hunt and got a cow elk close to the road. I took this opportunity to keep the leg bones to try for marrow.
I saw once where someone had cut them into disc and baked.
Without an actual electric meat saw what have you found to make the quickest work of bone? I have a sawzall and already cut them into 6-8" sections, but it didn't go as quick as I'd like with the sawzall. Maybe just not the right blade(metal)
Any recipe recommendations welcome to...

Poser

WKR
A bandsaw will make the quickest work of them. Ideally, you get a bone blade for your bandsaw as your utility/wood blade will snag and grab the bone.

Be mindful not to lose any fingers.

Tod osier

WKR
We usually bone out meat for packing, but we lucked up on a recent hunt and got a cow elk close to the road. I took this opportunity to keep the leg bones to try for marrow.
I saw once where someone had cut them into disc and baked.
Without an actual electric meat saw what have you found to make the quickest work of bone? I have a sawzall and already cut them into 6-8" sections, but it didn't go as quick as I'd like with the sawzall. Maybe just not the right blade(metal)
Any recipe recommendations welcome to...

Barring a meat cutting bandsaw, a bone saw in the sawsall works better than a metal blade (I got some cheap ones off amazon). Having the shanks frozen and held securely (like in a vise) helps at least as much..

Bugger

Lil-Rokslider
Having the shanks frozen and held securely (like in a vise) helps at least as much..
Agreed, frozen is better. Makes no difference to the blade but a lot easier to hold onto and clean up the bone dust after.

As far as recipes, just use it as a substitute for anything that calls for crayons. Seriously, it’s pretty waxy compared to beef marrow.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
eventually I'll go for a band saw, but don't have one currently.

Can't believe I didn't search for a "bone" blade. I looked over everything at Lowe's, but don't know why I never considered they made one specific for it. Also, the stainless solves the issue of paint so I won't have to sand that off again, lol. blade on order