Bolt moving during dry fire

If you watch, the bolt moves down and to left when fired. I am wondering if this is normal (I don’t have another Savage to compare to). Wanting to make sure that is not part of my “accuracy” problem. Any confirmation that this is “normal” (if indeed it is), is appreciated.

Phil

I just checked on a brand new unfired savage 110 and it does the same, what accuracy issues are you having and what have you tried to remedy it?

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I just checked on a brand new unfired savage 110 and it does the same, what accuracy issues are you having and what have you tried to remedy it?

I have a real hard time getting a tight grouping, I am lucky to get 2-3" at 100 yds. I may be a horrid shot, but I am wondering of the "movement" is having some effect on grouping.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
It's normal. There's no cartridge in the chamber for the bolt to seat against. Once the trigger is pulled and there is no spring tension on the bolt, the bolt will move a slight amount. Probably around 0.010".

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Also in the cocked position the bolt is usually pushed up since the trigger sear that is holding the firing pin is on the bottom. Savage's are generally pretty sloppy and they have a floating bolt head to compensate for this issue.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Someone suggested that I "take it to a gunsmith and get the action blue printed and your trigger timed to your bolt". Says it will fix the problem. That sound correct?

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't on a savage. You can probably buy another gun for less than that would cost. Most savages will shoot sub moa with the right ammo. I'd make sure scope and mounts are solid and then try a few different types of ammo.

Check your action bolts and make sure the barrell is not making contact with the stock whilr you'r at it as well.

Last edited:
Do you reload or shoot factory? I have a 300 WM that shoots 2-3 inches with the 215 bergers I was reloading no matter the charge weight or seating depth I was pulling my hair out and about to toss is off a bridge and tried the 208 eldm and i shot a .7 5 round group earlier today. My buddy has a rem 700 7mm RM and it never shot under 3 inches for him with several factory loads. I beddded a rail and went through Forms process of mounting a known scope and I was getting the same results, so I bedded it in the factory stock and first 5 rd group was .6, same symptoms different reasons, once you start eliminating things one by one you’ll figure it out

+1 on trying a few different types of ammo if shooting factory. You’ll be surprised to see how different brands, and types/grains within brands, will change your accuracy in the same rifle. Unless you plan on hand loading in the future, it’ll be worth the effort and some $ to find the type of factory ammo that shoots well in your rifle.

Another for different types of ammo. Different brands and bullet weights. In my experience, the cheaper ammo will not group as well as the top tier ammo. Think factory match type stuff.

Someone suggested that I "take it to a gunsmith and get the action blue printed and your trigger timed to your bolt". Says it will fix the problem. That sound correct?
This person has no idea
put a fired or unfired case in it and the bolt won’t move

rayporter

WKR
actually there is something to the bolt timing. it is probably not worth it on a savage but on rifles that are used in benchrest there are smiths that specialize in bolt timing for accuracy.

i seriously doubt that is your problem, but to say that there is nothing to bolt timing is just not true.

I wouldn't on a savage. You can probably buy another gun for less than that would cost. Most savages will shoot sub moa with the right ammo. I'd make sure scope and mounts are solid and then try a few different types of ammo.
I've owned more Savage rifles than I can recall now (should change my screen name to "Notnewtosavage" I guess) and I have yet to own one that I could not get to shoot under an inch. Most with factory loads of one kind or another, but I haven't shot factory loads in a while either. Regardless, I highly doubt the issue is with the rifle, but there could always be that chance.

Usually, 2-3" groupings from a Savage have to do with the scope bases, rings or the scope itself not functioning properly. After that, I'd try a couple different types of ammo, making sure to change bullet weight as part of the process. If you have properly mounted the bases, rings and scope and you are 100% sure all of that is operating correctly, and if you have tried several different types of ammo, including several different weight bullets, and you still get 2-3" groups, then you are probably flinching or something else is wrong with your shooting technique.

It is extremely rare for a Savage rifle to shoot that poorly in my experience.