Boa experiences?

BiG_Sea

FNG
Broke in new boots over the past month and just back from a week fighting them on an Idaho muley hunt—coupd not keep the front tight without too much tension across my ankle. Wondering what experiences people have had with Boa systems on boots. I see Zamberlan and UA make them. I like Boa on my cycling shoes because they allowed different tension in different places (two boas for sneaker-height shoes) and curious what you guys think and which brands you’ve used.

I have a pair of the Zamberlan boots with the boa. It seems to provide even tension.

I don't have trouble getting even tension on traditional laces tho, I might do an overhand halfway up to keep them tight lower tho.

One thing I generally do is if going downhill I like having my laces tighter, especially with weight. The boa allows me to add tension quickly without retying.

I tried a pair of UA boots one time, I won't wear much of their stuff, and I definitely won't wear anymore of their footwear.

OP
B

BiG_Sea

FNG
Thanks - I will definitely try the zamberlans when I get a chance

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Zamberlands here-I notice after the initial tightening, I need to walk a few steps or flex my ankle a few times to allow the “tension” to spread, and re tighten.

ToolMann

WKR
I have the BOA Simms wader boots and love the idea fir that. Can't get myself to trust it for a hunting boot though.

I have the zamberlan Lynx boa, they’ve been great tension seems even. Very comfortable boot after about a 20ish mile extremely painful break in

nksmfamjp

FNG
I have used BOA in my work shoes/boots for about 5 years or so…..always Redwings.

It is great to be able to wear shoes loose through as tight as I can imagine! Easily repaired when damaged….although this has been rare in the last couple pair.

Broke in new boots over the past month and just back from a week fighting them on an Idaho muley hunt—coupd not keep the front tight without too much tension across my ankle. Wondering what experiences people have had with Boa systems on boots. I see Zamberlan and UA make them. I like Boa on my cycling shoes because they allowed different tension in different places (two boas for sneaker-height shoes) and curious what you guys think and which brands you’ve used.
I am a BOA fan. My BOA system is on a pair of Irish Setters. (That is a Redwing brand.) My greatest complaint is that when a BOA boot comes out, it gets discontinued in a year or two so it’s tough to find reliable feedback before the boot becomes unavailable. Hopefully that will change as BOA becomes more popular. I have seen zero reports of trouble with the actual BOA system. Any time I see bad reviews it is for poor integration of the boa system onto the boot or just a bad boot design in general.

I think it's not popular because it rules out different lacing techniques for people who have a boot that mostly fits them, but not 100%. Lots of people tie some spots looser or go a weird order to make a boot work for them. For BOA it's uniformly tightened or nothing.

Mrdeuce

FNG
I've had no issues with mine on my UA ch1. I prefer it to traditional laces. That said I use them more as work boats than for woods

I have the zamberlan Lynx boa, they’ve been great tension seems even. Very comfortable boot after about a 20ish mile extremely painful break in
Did yours loosen up a lot? I'm thinking about sizing up or trying a different brand because mine seem a little too tight. I think mine might be a tad short as well though.