Blown primer. New rifle. Only 1 round fired.

SloppyJ

WKR
Following along. So are you sending the rifle back now or going to replace the broken parts and try the new ammo? Tough call with a hunt coming up. But I bet you have your rifle in order well before your hunt next time!

Also worth noting, when I shook the Nosler Accubond cartridge I was able to hear the powder in the case. When I shook the Federal Terminal Ascent cartridge I couldn’t hear anything in the case. I know it’s not a scientific or quantifiable data point but to me at least it’s worth noting. I’m not a reloader but it seems odd that there’s no free space in the Federal TA. For all other rifle ammo I have I can hear the powder shake in the case, e.g., .308 Win. 7.62 NATO, .30-06 Springfield, 6.5 CM.

100%+ case fill ratio vs less doesn’t tell you how hot something is loaded unless you know which powder it is.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Update.
Also worth noting, when I shook the Nosler Accubond cartridge I was able to hear the powder in the case. When I shook the Federal Terminal Ascent cartridge I couldn’t hear anything in the case. I know it’s not a scientific or quantifiable data point but to me at least it’s worth noting. I’m not a reloader but it seems odd that there’s no free space in the Federal TA. For all other rifle ammo I have I can hear the powder shake in the case, e.g., .308 Win. 7.62 NATO, .30-06 Springfield, 6.5 CM.
That means absolutely nothing. Some cases are compressed with powder, some or not. Powder is not just powder. Fill quantity is highly dependent on burn rate and a multitude of other factors.