blisters

I finished up my first Colorado elk hunt a couple weeks ago and I'm looking for some advice and insight. I had purchased a pair of Danner Mountain assault boots about a year ago. I had these boots broken in very well. I spent the last 4 to 5 months hiking every other day with a heavy weighted pack on for about 1-2 miles in highly terrain and they always felt perfect. I brought 3 pairs of first lite merino wool socks with and rotated them out every day, and slept with out socks on to try and air out my feet. I still ended up getting blisters on both of my heels and not sure why. They boots didn't seem to be slipping at all when hiking or sidehilling, but my feet sweet a ton. Not sure if there is something to try. Not sure if I should look to other boots for future hunts. The other boots I have considered are Lowa tibets, but decided on the Danners as I have had great luck with these boots for work and hunting locally in the past. The other drawback as I couldn't find anywhere local to try on the tibets.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Heel slippage. Have you tried aftermarket insoles? I have had great luck with Green Superfeet. I used to run Danners until I tried a pair of Asolos which are night and day.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Try some LEUKOTAPE till you get your boots figured out, I left the same tape on my heel for 3 days and not even a hotspot.

Now that you know you can get blisters in those spots just put the leukotape on there preemptively. Putting it in the night before on dry feet will help it stay on longer. Also changing out socks regularly and powdering your feet will help for sweaty feet.

twall13

WKR
Some people like to run a liner sock as well. I have never felt the need so I don't have any experience with it but it might be worth looking at in your case. Also, as a tip, I purchased some Lowa Tibets from Shoebuy.com with a 30% off coupon. They didn't work for my feet so I sent them back but Shoebuy.com has free shipping both ways so I wasn't out a dime and I got to try the boots on around my house for a few days to figure out they didn't fit me quite right. It might be a worthwhile option for you as well.

jmez

WKR
Likely need to change boots. I have a pair of Asolo's and they do the exact same thing to my feet. Training hikes they are fine, well broken in etc. By day 3 of an elk hunt they blister my heels. I bought a pair of Hanwag's and have yet to have a blister. They fit and feel much better than the Asolo. Boots all have a different fit and IMO you just have to start working through them until you find one that works. An expensive proposition, I got lucky with pair number 2.

OP
R
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will try and order a pair of Lowa's in the offseason here and try and try on some other ones. The Danner Mountain assaults I will hold onto and try the tape route here this fall on locals hunts and see if that helps. I guess if anything I will have a good pair of back up boots.

njdoxie

WKR
Just tape your feet ahead of time, no need for new boots, I've left leukotape on for 9 days, never came off, I always pre-emptivly tape my heels

Blisters are caused by friction and friction only. Slippage = friction. Certain sock types can increase it. Moisture on the skin is 100% going to increase friction. Moist socks or boots = friction.

Tape is a blockade to blister formation, but doesn't do anything about the underlying causes. If you can prevent slippage, find a good liner sock, and keep your feet dry you will likely never see a blister.

twall13

WKR
Blisters are caused by friction and friction only. Slippage = friction. Certain sock types can increase it. Moisture on the skin is 100% going to increase friction. Moist socks or boots = friction.

Tape is a blockade to blister formation, but doesn't do anything about the underlying causes. If you can prevent slippage, find a good liner sock, and keep your feet dry you will likely never see a blister.

Along these lines, lacing and tying your boots correctly can go a long way in preventing slippage. There are some excellent youtube videos out there on how to do it properly. It really can make a huge difference in locking in your heal. Here is one link, and here is another I found helpful.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the lacing thing. Becca posted a few pics last year that I tried and it helped me a lot. I "fined tuned" it a little bit for my feet and it works well. I still stop and re-lace my boots if they come loose or stop and air my feet out if I feel my feet starting to sweat and slip around. I also throw tape on my heels regardless and go hunt. It sucks that good boots are so much, but all the planning, training, traveling, money spent is all wasted if your feet get tore up.

Takeem406

WKR
Not sure if this helps, but I'd suggest using a Smartwool liner sock under your First Lites. A thin wool loner sock seems to had a little protection layer to your skin. So your boot rubs the liner and not your skin.

Tape is good stuff, but there is NO way I'm going to tape or keep tape on my feet every day of a hunt. I usually subscribe to the strategy of a snug-fitting liner sock which grips my foot. If heel slip happens, it happens between the liner and main sock, keeping friction away from skin. In truth, the main cause of blisters is feet which are not toughened enough and combined with boots that are not broken-in well. Solve these 2 things and blisters become a rarity.

Whisky

WKR
I have found Leukotape alone to not be enough protection at times. For my elk hunt this year I used Leukotape to tape on a layer of moleskin to my heels before the hunt. 9 or 10 days later I pulled it off at home. My feet were wet a few days and it held fine.