Blisters while hunting

vcb

WKR
Ok so I have asolo's. I use them for early season archery hunting. Lots of vertical and downhill. You know the kind...take 10 step and breath. Anyway I wanted to ask the crowd here when u are hunting tough vertical like that for several days is there anyone that does not blister in their boots. I don't but I go through great lengths to protect my heel. I.e. sock liners and lots of duck tape. If I didn't duck tape every morning I would easily blister. Do my boots just not fit well enough?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I think terrain can play a role in forming blisters, if you find the right boot and sock combo you shouldn't have to go to much work to prevent them. I have done a fair amount of tough vertical (up and down) in my Hanwag lady Alaskans and never gotten so much as a hotspot. Well fitting Boots with a full shank and good torsional rigidity shouldn't move too much on you even in steep situations.

Even with good boots that I know work for my feet, I do keep foot care supplies in the first aid kit with us at all times (bandaids, moleskin, tape etc), and commit to stopping and remedying the problem if and when I notice any kind of hotspot. I did notice that I built up some pretty serious calluses by the end of November, but otherwise no blisters...

last year i was in crappy soft boots and i got hot spots but no blisters. i find keeping my feet relatively dry is hugely important, ie boots off breaks every few hours when hiking hard

CaseyU

WKR
No blisters for me. Does not matter the slope or the distance. Like becca said. Find the right boot. Break it in and good to go

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
I have the original insert in there. Maybe I should invest in the lathrop synergy footbed....

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the original insert in there. Maybe I should invest in the lathrop synergy footbed....

I have been very pleased with my Syngergy foot beds. But a question, where are you getting blisters? If you are experiencing heel slip because your boots are twisting too much in steep terrain, then a flexible insole like the synergy isn't going to do much to stabilize the sole of your boot. I know lots of people don't like them, but I have found adding a thicker/stiffer after market insole like super feet to my trail runners and rubber boots does a lot to increase the stiffness of the sole, and decreases twisting.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Becca good question. My only hot spot is on my heel. The only way I control it and not get the blister is liners and duck tape. But really duct tape is what saves me. So if I'm getting hot spots on the heel then it's more of a poor fit issue right?

Solitude

WKR
You either have a bad fit or your feet are not in hood enough shape for the boot. When I switched to a desk job most of the time, and my feet softened up, and I found I have way more issues vs when I was in the field full time. Now I push to get on hikes weekly with my pack to keep my feet in shape for hunting season.

a3dhunter

WKR
Maybe your boots aren't tight enough? I could hike for days in my Salomon Quest 4d's and never blister.

In my opinion, the Salomon are so flexible they aren't much of a boot. There is nothing there that would resist flexing and create hot spots against the foot. For some people they are an excellent boot for early season hunting.

I've found more problems with blisters with a stiffer, all leather boot that does resist flexing and has a stiff sole.

The Asolo Sasslong are a medium sole IMO, with kenetrek hardscrabble hikers, Zamberlan's and Lowa Ranger's being a little stiffer out of the box.

My meindl' Denali's were way stiffer, and even after 3-4 years of use have a stiffer sole than Asolo's.

The stiffer the sole, and thicker the leather, the better the boot needs to fit.
I will say that with a wide foot, the Zamberlans had the best fit in a regular boot.

I did not lace up tight enough on one hike with the Asolo's and didn't take the time to stop half way up the mountain and tighten them up, I ended up with a blister but it was my own fault. I have found that wearing thick socks, instead of regular hiking socks, along with liners help prevent blisters for me.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Google different ways to tie hikng boots. You can tie boots different if your toes are hitting the front or if your heel is slipping. Not a fix all but sure helps. Tee

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Once I found the right boot blisters went away. Too bad it took me so long to figure it out. Took my Lowa Tibet GTX on their 20 mile inaugural journey across the rocks without a problem.

Frans

KMT

WKR
I have Asolo 520 Gtx boots that I use all year for hiking and have never blistered in them. I think that if you are getting blisters, your boots probably don't fit your foot properly. I had zamberlands before that, and they tortured me.

jherald

WKR
I tried asolo's once and they tore my feet up, back before i tried the lowa sheep hunters. The i bought the lowa's and wore them every day at work for a break in (about 2 months before hunting) and they have been great ever since ,4 years running now. I got lucky and only had to try two sets of boots when i found the ones that worked for my foot, so well that i have a new pair of lowas in the closet ready to rock. Its trial and error. Also try different insoles along with your boots. There are a lot of good options. I have dr. Scholls gel inserts in my lowas. Its like hiking on jello for me. I replace the insoles just before any trip.

Its all in personal fit. Find the boot your foot likes. Happy feet equals happy hunting.

Snyd

WKR
It's all about fit, fit, fit and footbeds and socks.

In my Lowa Civetta plastics I have never ever gotten one blister. It's because the liner fits like a glove and slippage is between the liner and shell. I love em.

2ski

WKR
Google different ways to tie hikng boots. You can tie boots different if your toes are hitting the front or if your heel is slipping. Not a fix all but sure helps. Tee

I was a little skeptical about this, but I did google this. Watched a couple videos and I'm a believer now. My Kennetreks are good for about 5 miles and then hotspots and blisters occur. After lacing my boots a new way, I think I may have it. I just walked to the grocery store and back, but it felt good. I don't feel the support is as good on them, but still good. After thinking about it, I think that the speed lace loop that sucks your heel back is the reason for some of us having issues with the Kenetreks. For myself, I think fit is good until I start to sweat a bit. Since your heel is going to move a little (don't know if you can have a boot where your heel moves absolutly zero), that one set of speed laces pulls the heel back into the boot causing it to keep rubbing on the boot, not letting it off a little bit to aliveate the rubbing. By skipping that set of speed loops, I think it may stop blistering.

Gman

WKR
I was a little skeptical about this, but I did google this. Watched a couple videos and I'm a believer now. My Kennetreks are good for about 5 miles and then hotspots and blisters occur. After lacing my boots a new way, I think I may have it. I just walked to the grocery store and back, but it felt good. I don't feel the support is as good on them, but still good. After thinking about it, I think that the speed lace loop that sucks your heel back is the reason for some of us having issues with the Kenetreks. For myself, I think fit is good until I start to sweat a bit. Since your heel is going to move a little (don't know if you can have a boot where your heel moves absolutly zero), that one set of speed laces pulls the heel back into the boot causing it to keep rubbing on the boot, not letting it off a little bit to aliveate the rubbing. By skipping that set of speed loops, I think it may stop blistering.

Any particular resources you found that you'd like to share?