Blister proof sock recommendations

jarrettd

FNG
I've been rucking with some friends on the weekends. Its a great test for your gear. I usually don't have foot issues, but after a 6 mile ruck, my feet will get hot spots on the bottom of the heels as well as the balls of my feet. They are a bit painful, which then makes me walk weird, which then makes me fatigue faster. I haven't got a blister yet, but would probably develop one if I pushed it a few more miles. I recently found a company online called Wrightsock and ordered Coolmesh II Merino Wool Crew Socks and Timber Adventure Crew Hiking Socks. They use a double wall construction. They are supposed to have a 100% blister free guarantee. I'm curious what socks y'all are using who suffer from blister pain.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I typically apply leukotape (stays on for 7 day backpack hunts without any issues) before hiking and I wear darn tough socks, however my heels are where I have issues so that might not work for you.

Lots of people seem to like the injinji liner toe socks under a hiking sock. That’s what I would try if leukotape didn’t work for me

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Nothing can truly guarantee blister free. However, a thin liner sock made of silk or nylon with a cotton or wool sock over it helps. It sounds like the socks you found work on the same principle.

You can get a stick of Body Glide and rub that on your feet before putting your socks on and that should help.

Your boots might be allowing too much movement (or not enough). Insoles might fix this. And lastly, your feet might just need hardening off.

Since I started using sock liners I've had no issues with my feet. I've used cheap Browning liners, a set off amazon and last year had the Kennetrek liners which all worked great.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Armaskin socks are supposed to work wonders. But,a good pair of insoles would be my first move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can't remember the last time I had a blister.

What works for me is a custom or semi-custom insole (heat mold) and a single wool sock.

Wear boots every day and make sure they fit correctly.

sram9102

WKR
Leukotape is the answer. I have terribly flat feet and have had blister issues from where my arches should be rubbing. I pretty much tape everywhere you could think about a blister now. Pad, arch, heel, no issues. My feet sweat terribly as well and I don't think taping and good socks can be beat.

Taping heels, toes and Kuiu Strongwool Socks with footbeds. Clean feet daily, change socks daily and rinse out/ dry alternate pair.

Moserkr

WKR
Havent had a blister in 4 years, even doing 12+ mile days packing in out. That is until last year when I got new boots - crispi briksdals. Left the original insole in it too - first mistake. Previous crispis did not require a break in period, the briksdals being stiffer with full leather did require breaking in. So one trip hurt, had a few blisters, and developed odd callouses. Changed the insole, oiled the boots, and tried again.

Next trip, perfect again. I use full cushion darn tough hiker socks. Gel insoles, cheap, from cvs. But after suffering from foot issues for years, Ive learned the importance of the insoles. If your boots are over a year old or have more than a few hundred miles on them, check your insoles for wear, see how cushy they are. Foot pain and hot spots on the bottom where you mentioned was solved by replacing my insoles. Also thicker cushioned socks like the darn tough help. Last, whenever you stop for a break, unlace at a minimum and let your feet breath. Moisture will cause a lot of problems.

More details please? Are you rucking in the mountains or a fellow flatlander just rucking around normal terrain? Boots that fit and good merino socks is all I need for normal terrain. Without wool socks you get hot spots like you describe once your feet get sweaty (mile 3-4 for me). If I'm hunting or hiking steep terrain I'm pre-taping my feet, so I don't have to worry about it.

Redwood

Lil-Rokslider
When I start getting hot spots on my feet it's time for new insoles. I run darn tough socks and bought a pair of sheep feet for my work boots. Best decision I have made going on two years on the sheep feet and haven't had a problem since. They are spendy but they seem to last. I went with a cheap set of insoles on my hunting boots since the sheep feet don't quite fit right in them and had to replace them half way through hunting season. I will be getting another set of full length sheep feet for my hunting boots as well.

505Wapiti

WKR
Darn Tough socks are hard to beat. The initial sticker shock will make you want to hang them back up on the rack. Once you buy a pair you won't have any regrets.

OP
J

jarrettd

FNG
More details please? Are you rucking in the mountains or a fellow flatlander just rucking around normal terrain? Boots that fit and good merino socks is all I need for normal terrain. Without wool socks you get hot spots like you describe once your feet get sweaty (mile 3-4 for me). If I'm hunting or hiking steep terrain I'm pre-taping my feet, so I don't have to worry about it.
We hike in county parks. Its Pennsylvania. There are hills, but not mountains. I would call them horse trails through the woods.

We hike in county parks. Its Pennsylvania. There are hills, but not mountains. I would call them horse trails through the woods.
You wearing good boots or more of a hiking shoe? I get a lot of slip in hiking shoes if I go over like 30lbs. Others on here have nailed it - sweaty feet and you are sliding around creating the hot spots. I would try the new socks first, then insoles if it still happens. Carry some tape with you and stop to tape the spots if needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been wearing liner socks since I started playing basketball back in 70's. They work. I always wear polypropylene liner socks under lightweight merino boot socks for hunting. I've never gotten a blister with that setup, and that's all mountain hunting. I tried merino socks on their own one time, and I thought my feet were going to catch on fire they were so hot and red.

Honyock

WKR
^^^ I'm with 5MilesBack. Liner socks and lightweight merino wool. I don't live in the mountains (yet) but I mountain hunt every year and have not had an issue using this combination.

CLP

FNG
I use the Wrightsock Cool Mesh II socks and they’re the best I’ve used across the board. As some have said, sometimes it’s the boots. I can wear Kennetrek boots with almost any sock and avoid blisters. The minute I switch over to lighter mountaineering style boots like Scarpa or Hanwags I get blisters in every sock but the Wrightsocks.