Blinds!

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Probably the most effective way to hunt antelope is out of some sort of a blind at a waterhole. There are many types of portables available out there and they seem to be getting more popular every year.

Pit blinds used to be the thing. But they require a lot of work and far too many guys were not filling them back in after the hunt was over. So some places no longer allow them. But if you have ever spent a 90 degree day in one, you'll have to admit they are about the coolest type of blind there is. At least temperature wise. LOL!

But here is an idea I have used in the past that is super quick to set up and very effective.:

When I find a well used waterhole, especially on private land, I just back my horse trailer up to it, open the back door, hang a camo net over the opening, and WALA! I have the ultimate portable bilnd. My trailer is over six feet tall so I can stand up to shoot, just like at an indoor range.

Many times I have given thought to going down to the local thrift store and buying a cheap Lazyboy recliner to put in the blind. But, I figure I'd probably just fall asleep and miss all the critters when they came in for a drink. LOL!

But seriously I have taken several antelope out of the back end of that trailer. One other thing I forgot to mention, I painted the inside of the trailer flat black. This makes it nice and dark inside so they can't see in. And I also wear black clothes.

HA HA I know guys that have done the same things hunting Mule Deer in Kansas!!! Works like a charm...even know some guys that have taken old combines out to their water tanks.

B

bearguide

do you leave the trailer there for a while before the hunt to let them get use to it / or do you put it out immediatly

Ralph

FNG
Dang your goats are stupid and that's great. If we drive a vehicle close to our tanks, they go to a different one for a day or two. I usually have two blinds put up out a week ahead of time, but I always do the crawl and stalk at least once. Once, because if I don't see a rattler, I know I will the second time!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do use blinds and have killed a few that way....but my success rate is higher spot and stalking and is far more fun!

yrovikle

FNG
Spot and stalk for me as well...still have not learned how to sit in a blind all day...

Even my kansas whitetail hunting has been on the ground and not a tree stand.

Maybe a recliner and a horse trailer can make me a convert! :)

Happy hunting,
Yrovikle

You guys that spot and stalk Pronghorn have my greatest respect! Where I typically hunt the ground if pretty much flat and the grass is only a few inches. Absolutely no cover. So I am forced to fry in the sun for 14 hours a day.
DSC_1249.jpg

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
After trying to sit in a "make-shift" blind for an hour last season I too have to stick to the spot n stalk method! I don't know how you guys can sit for so damn long! The "unlimited" unit I hunted last season is wide open too with little sage for cover, but them goats seem to love them cheet grass flats, makes spot n stalk very tough but very fun!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
The locations where I spot and stalk antelope is much the same......no cover to hide or conceal me. My biggest buck to date was an 8 hours stalk; pressed to the ground, low crawling, inching forward......that is how most my stalks go for antelope; in over-grazed cattle infested pastures! Love it!

You guys that are spotting and stalking in NO cover or very sparse cover...check out Heads Up Decoy. Garrett Roe and his team out of Kansas have really got something going here.

B

bearguide

decoys seem to work if the goats have not seen them before

OP
W

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
To answer bearguides question: Actually I have set the trailer up during the middle of the day and shot antelope out of it the next day. As for the portable blinds that are so popular today, I have set them up and arrowed my goat the same day.